Thread: Raid 0 question for a scratch disk and media cache drive?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Raid 0 question for a scratch disk and media cache drive?

I am building a new computer which will be used for many things but a lot of video editing and some photo. I was wondering if anyone that is familiar with Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects could help out or anyone that thinks they know.
    I was wondering if a person could use 2 SSD drives in raid 0 for the scratch disk and media cache drive. I know raid 0 is not as safe as only one drive or any other kind of raid but I can get two smaller SSD drives for a great price and much cheaper than one larger one. I know it will even make the SSDs faster. Anyone care to comment? Thanks.
    2-VIOTEK FI24D V2 24-Inch QHD Gaming Monitor with IPS Technology, ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING AM4 AMD B550, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DRAM DDR4 3200, MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6
    AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz, Asus BW-12B1ST Internal Blu-ray Writer SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5" 256GB SATA III , HITACHI Deskstar 2TB, 2 - Western Digital Black -2 TB HDD
    Super Flower Leadex III 650W 80+ Gold, AMD AM4 Wraith Prism LED RGB Cooler Fan, Windows 10 Professional Retail, Fractal Design R4 case

If you are building new, consider the Optane cache drive in conjunction with high capacity hard drive.

Make sure new machine is optane ready.

This works great with Adobe
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It is the Ryzen 7 1700X on a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 board. I'm not sure if it has that or not.
    2-VIOTEK FI24D V2 24-Inch QHD Gaming Monitor with IPS Technology, ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING AM4 AMD B550, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DRAM DDR4 3200, MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6
    AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz, Asus BW-12B1ST Internal Blu-ray Writer SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5" 256GB SATA III , HITACHI Deskstar 2TB, 2 - Western Digital Black -2 TB HDD
    Super Flower Leadex III 650W 80+ Gold, AMD AM4 Wraith Prism LED RGB Cooler Fan, Windows 10 Professional Retail, Fractal Design R4 case

i'm using 950 PRO as my scratch drive for adobe projects...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, that would be good too, but I can get 2 x 256GB SSD drives right now for a lot cheaper (because of a sale) than a 512GB or 480 etc. I know that raid 0 makes it more complicated but it is still cheaper and faster with this deal. If I go the other route with only one SSD it will be easier to setup and less chance of failure although it is only for a scratch disk/media cache. It will be slower though. How much? No one seems to know for sure.
    I don't know what to do. I have used some adobe stuff before but not much. I am now a full adobe user (or will be) but I want to build this machine to work the best with Adobe as that is the main thing to be used. Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop etc. The whole suite.
    My videos that I work with are large and saving time is very important. Saving 10 minutes or even more for a 2-3 hour video project would save me a lot of time throughout the year. Someone make a decision for me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If I went with an NVME M.2 drive for my scratch/media cache, does anyone know if my board will support it? I have the M.2 slot already used and that is not going to change. Does my board support 2 at the NVME speed if I got an adapter and used a PCIe slot with an NVME M.2 drive? I can't seem to find any info on it right now.
    I have the Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 board. I'm sure it will work but I don't know if it will be slower because of already using the M.2 lane? Does anyone know?

Xtreme Addict
    Nvme can be raided, but I don't know if it can be done from the bios.
    I think there's addon boards for that, the dual slotted m2's.
    But I don't know.
    Soft raid would work, but in windows I would go the hardware/driver route.

Ssd's would be a for sure way of doing it.
    It's just that the MAX perf won't be as good as a m2.
    Avg perf will probably be around the same though.

If you go raid 0, or regardless, you should try to check them one by one 1st.
    Or just wing it like most people do :\.
    I fill up the drive with large files and check the window system admin logs, clearing them before hand.
    Then look for errors after I filled the drive to the last cluster.
    That does it for most drives.
    I recently came across a batch of drives my roomate had that I could only find errors on with checksums (crc32's).
    I had to checksum every file to make sure they all matched.
    Anyways that how I test my drives, and I've never had an issue since.

One other issue with raid, if somehow you screw it up, the controller won't know which drive is the 1st drive and so on.
    But that's not to hard to figure out with a hex editor and I wouldn't expect anyone to have to deal with that.

ANYWAYS...
    If the drives check out ok, raid 0 will be just fine.
    Do note that the cpu % usage may go up a bit with them.

Edit:
    Btw my little brother is using a raid setup from, maybe 10 years ago or so.
    I dn it's been so long, the amd 1090t on a ch4f motherboard.
    The same 2x1tb wd modded greens drives, still going strong.
    Been raided in mode 0 the whole time.
    PCI-e bus set to 150mhz too.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 11-16-2017 at 06:40 AM.