Thread: [News] Intel 18-Core i9-7980XE Release Date Pushed To October

[News] Intel 18-Core i9-7980XE Release Date Pushed To October

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int...o-october.html

The more-core processor battle makes Intel release an up-to 18-cores processor. The specs all have been shown in a number of leaks up-to the 14, 16 and 18-core parts.

Detailed specs from the entire range up-to the Core i9 7980 XE.The guys from wccftech now report they know the release date for the 18-cores part, and that would be 18th October, that is unconfirmed information though.

It will be interesting to see how real-world energy consumption and heat levels will hold with the upcoming procs. Intel will be competing with AMDs Ryzen Threadripper 1920X and 1950X. As you can see, intel will offer 44 PCIe Gen 3 lanes opposed to 64 on Threadripper. Configurations break down into this:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Huh. Would be funny if intel beancounters pushed these things to be also sold with thermal paste.While AMD at least tries with ryzen, intel seems like deciding in which foot to shoot themselves, then shooting both.Coffe lake being limited to 3xx chipsets as the first shot.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

I would call it more Intel being caught with their pants down again. They were riding the ship just flat-out assuming AMD could never compete with them.

I thought maybe they'd have learned the first time, but no, they were getting complacent. Not the same level as the P4 days, but still...
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    Huh. Would be funny if intel beancounters pushed these things to be also sold with thermal paste.While AMD at least tries with ryzen, intel seems like deciding in which foot to shoot themselves, then shooting both.Coffe lake being limited to 3xx chipsets as the first shot.
    you have to sell those xeons so the i9 need to have TIM instead of solder so they wont get sold to 1p servers.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Pushing up the release date isn't going to help. They need to push down the price.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    They were riding the ship just flat-out assuming AMD could never compete with them.
    I assumed right along with Intel. I couldn't be happier, just wish the prices were a little lower. Threadripper prices are ridiculous. but so are Intel's.

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Pushing up the release date isn't going to help. They need to push down the price.
    Agree 100%

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
    I assumed right along with Intel. I couldn't be happier, just wish the prices were a little lower. Threadripper prices are ridiculous. but so are Intel's.
    How do you figure the threadripper prices are rediculous? $1000 for the 1950X isn't cheap - but name me the last time you saw a 16 core CPU available for anything reasonable. I do think they're gouging on the 8 core varient though. Seems like all that chip will do is cannibalize sales with the 1800X.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    How do you figure the threadripper prices are rediculous? $1000 for the 1950X isn't cheap - but name me the last time you saw a 16 core CPU available for anything reasonable. I do think they're gouging on the 8 core varient though. Seems like all that chip will do is cannibalize sales with the 1800X.
    I read it as him saying AMD's prices are ridiculously good and Intel's are ridiculously bad. Otherwise, I'll agree with you. 16 cores and 64 PCI lanes for $1000 is a huge leap for the current market.

That said, I wonder what the market would look like if AMD stayed competitive. Intel has been milking the 4 core i7 for years. 6, 8, and 10 core chips have been selling for way high premiums. 16 core, 64 thread for $1000 is about where the market should be at this point. I don't see AMD as a ground breaker so much as a stabilizer to the absurdity that Intel has been spinning.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Mentor
    I read it as him saying AMD's prices are ridiculously good and Intel's are ridiculously bad. Otherwise, I'll agree with you. 16 cores and 64 PCI lanes for $1000 is a huge leap for the current market.

That said, I wonder what the market would look like if AMD stayed competitive. Intel has been milking the 4 core i7 for years. 6, 8, and 10 core chips have been selling for way high premiums. 16 core, 64 thread for $1000 is about where the market should be at this point. I don't see AMD as a ground breaker so much as a stabilizer to the absurdity that Intel has been spinning.
    I read it like the opposite But he is right we are customers we always want more for less money

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Guru

I like to think of it this way:
    The FX-57 was the best gaming CPU on earth for a good while. It launched with an MSRP of $1031 2005. Taking into account the US inflation rate, that would be $1,291 in 2017.

So when you really think about it, $1000 for a top of the line CPU isn't just in line with historical pricing - it's actually fairly reasonable. Intel charging $1700 for 6950X, however, was utterly ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans