Thread: [News] Magnetic Tape Storage Technology can store 330 TB

[News] Magnetic Tape Storage Technology can store 330 TB

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/mag...re-330-tb.html

BM Research, in collaboration with Sony Storage Media Solutions, has announced that the two companies have created a tiny prototype storage cartridge that can store up to 330 terabytes of uncompressed data and still fit into the palm of your hand.

The cartridge, called a sputtered magnetic tape, has an areal density of 201 gigabits per square inch, which is a world record and more than 20 times the density of commercial tape drives.

?Tape has traditionally been used for video archives, back-up files, replicas for disaster recovery and retention of information on premise, but the industry is also expanding to off-premise applications in the cloud,? said IBM fellow Evangelos Eleftheriou in a statement. ?While sputtered tape is expected to cost a little more to manufacture than current commercial tape, the potential for very high capacity will make the cost per terabyte very attractive, making this technology practical for cold storage in the cloud.?

IBM worked closely with Sony for several years, particularly on enabling increased areal recording densities. ?The results of this collaboration have led to various improvements in the media technology, such as advanced roll-to-roll technology for long sputtered tape fabrication and better lubricant technology, which stabilizes the functionality of the magnetic tape.?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Interesting, but not for those of us who are stuck on SSDs now. Though an increase in areal density does often increase read/write performance since it's head speed and head reaction times that cause performance to suffer the most on magnetic media.

I don't see latency from these devices being very compeititive, though.

Xtreme Addict
    I hope this is somehow passed down to aluminum disks, hard drives.
    It's kinda crazy when you have to wait 2-3 years for a measly increase of 2tb per drive.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    Interesting, but not for those of us who are stuck on SSDs now. Though an increase in areal density does often increase read/write performance since it's head speed and head reaction times that cause performance to suffer the most on magnetic media.

I don't see latency from these devices being very compeititive, though.
    330tb is way larger then ssd's lol, there's nothing to be stuck on if there was such a thing affordable to the consumer.
    SSD's for os and progs, but the 330tb, storage.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The NSA is sure to love it. I just personally don't even bother with spinners for storage anymore. I'm on a 500GB NVMe boot drive, and I have a SATA3 512GB SSD for um storage I guess. Actually it has an old OS install I've never bothered to delete, but whatever.

Not hurting for space over here.

Xtreme Addict
    Does this mean I can one day get rid of all my old mech HDD's (~30TB) that I store media/pron on ??, that would be nice !!
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yup. Though you might want an extra for a backup or whatever. Because good luck finding that kind of storage density on anything else.