Thread: [News] WannaCry operator empties Bitcoin wallets connected to ransomware

[News] WannaCry operator empties Bitcoin wallets connected to ransomware

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...to-ransomware/

Whoever was behind the WannaCry cryptoransomware worm that ravaged networks worldwide in May has finally collected the ransom paid by some of the worm's victims. The value of bitcoins had grown to about $140,000, but the currency's value got about a 20 percent boost on August 1 triggered by a split in the Bitcoin market, as Quartz reports.
    After the initial wave of infections in May 2017, the three wallets identified by security researchers as being associated with ransomware's code collected an estimated $70,000 in bitcoin. The ransom payments continued to roll in over the summer, but the value of the gains amassed by the ransomware?which spread with the aid of a National Security Agency exploit leaked by the Shadowbrokers?got that 20 percent bump on August 1. That surge is because a project called Bitcoin Cash managed to recently "fork" the Bitcoin blockchain, creating what is effectively a new cryptocurrency that bypasses the transaction limits on the established Bitcoin blockchain.
    The movement of the WannaCry-related bitcoins was first reported by Quartz' Keith Collins, who had set up a "bot" to track transactions involving the wallets.

However, the movement of the bitcoin out of the wallets does not indicate that the operators of WannaCry have been able to totally cash out. To launder the blockchains acquired through the ransomware, they would have to use a "bitcoin mixer" service to try to conceal the transaction record in order to prevent the cashout from being connected with the malware outbreak.

That might be made more difficult by the recent arrest in Greece of Alexander Vinnik, who operated and owned a stake in the BTC-e bitcoin exchange. The Justice Department claimed in an indictment that Vinnik was involved in an over $4 billion money-laundering operation through BTC-e.

I am Xtreme
    All these crypto hacks make me nervous to jump into the game...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by screwtech02 View Post
    ROFL!!! Such a "cryin" shame that all these Poor Bastards that sucked up the gaming card stocks got their pockets emptied..... KARMA is a .....
    What?
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Apparently screwtech02 has trouble comprehending what he reads
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    My bad.....
    X299X Aorus Master
    I9 10920x
    32gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-4000
    EVGA 2070 Super x2
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    4 512gb Silicon Power NVME
    4 480 Adata SSD
    2 1tb HGST 7200rpm 2.5 drives
    X-Fi Titanium
    1200 watt Lepa
    Custom water-cooled View 51TG

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by screwtech02 View Post
    My bad.....
    lol I don't get the sarcasm, just clarify what you meant and people will get off your back
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I guess he thinks that the story is about "the virus stealing bitcoin from victims".

While the story is "the virus creator withdraw money ( bitcoin ) from the accounts the victims sent their money in order to get their files back".
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    ^^yup^^
    X299X Aorus Master
    I9 10920x
    32gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-4000
    EVGA 2070 Super x2
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    4 512gb Silicon Power NVME
    4 480 Adata SSD
    2 1tb HGST 7200rpm 2.5 drives
    X-Fi Titanium
    1200 watt Lepa