Thread: [News] AMD Says Vega Delays Necessary to Increase Stock for Gamers

[News] AMD Says Vega Delays Necessary to Increase Stock for Gamers

https://www.techpowerup.com/235740/a...ock-for-gamers

In an interview, AMD's Chris Hook justified Vega's delayed release due to a wish to increase available stock for gamers who want to purchase the new high-performance architecture by AMD. In an interview with HardOCP, Chris Hook had this to say:

"Part of the reason it's taken us a little longer to launch Vega - and I'll be honest about that - is that we wanted to make sure we were launching with good volume. (...) Obviously we've got to compensate for things like coin-miners, they're going to want to get their hands on these. We believe we're launching with a volume that will ensure that gamers can get their hands on them, and that's what's important to us."

It appears that AMD tried their best to increase production and stock volumes so as to mitigate price fluctuations upon Vega's entry to the market due to above normal demand from cryptocurrency miners. The jury is still out on whether Vega will be an option for mining due to its exquisite architecture, however. Still, this sounds as good a reason as any to delay Vega for as long as it has been already. Just a few more days until we see what AMD managed with this one, folks. Check the video after the break.

Xtreme Mentor
    OK I am glad to hear that delay is not just for fun...

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

HBM2 is still not listed as bulk as of last week from samsung or hynx, so i would be surprised if they can keep stock up even with the delay. it also looks like $200-250 for 2x4GB stacks, maybe a bit less depending on how it works if there is say a broken 8GB stack that can be salvaged.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    I sort of hope online retailers impose consumer limits and add a captcha, or something of the like, for this release. Would love to get my hands on a couple
    my mini-fridge
    MoBo: GA-EP45-UD3P | CPU: Q9550 3.6GHZ @ 1.216v | RAM: 4x1GB 900mhz @ 5-5-5-15 | GPU: GTX 460 900G/1800S/4400M | PSU: Corsair 750TX| HDD's: Seagate 320GB + 500GB, Samsung 1TB | Case: antec p180

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    As truthful as the "totally new architecture" Raja claimed.
    I call BS.
    They simply had HBM2 stock issues and possibly trying to squeeze every single bit of remaining 3D performance out of it.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    As truthful as the "totally new architecture" Raja claimed.
    I call BS.
    They simply had HBM2 stock issues and possibly trying to squeeze every single bit of remaining 3D performance out of it.
    I'm not a fan of Raja. I feel like I walk away from all of his speeches questioning whether I should believe even half of what he says.

Lisa Su at least comes off as a bit more genuine when she discusses the CPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There probably is some truth to this, but more than likely it's purpose is "damage" control. The lack of HBM is killing them.
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme Member
    RX Vega Cards Reportedly Great for Mining
    Seems the hash rate on VEGA is 70-100 per card, which is insanely good

https://www.eteknix.com/rx-vega-card...-great-mining/

Brilliant Idiot
    Looks pretty true to me. I am sure amd knew it was good at it.

Which btw will suck for gamers and any hope of no price gouging.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Looks pretty true to me. I am sure amd knew it was good at it.

Which btw will suck for gamers and any hope of no price gouging.
    I'm surprised AMD hasn't already created a "mining edition" for each architecture. It's a cashcow just begging to be tapped; figured the business people would have been already pushing for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I'm surprised AMD hasn't already created a "mining edition" for each architecture. It's a cashcow just begging to be tapped; figured the business people would have been already pushing for it.
    They're selling cards either way, that's a good thing no? With limited budgets we get what we get :'(
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Can't see how they went from 35MH/s to 80MH ( taking an "average" / median value, not the extreme ones, 70MH/s & 100MH/s accordingly ).
    If true, the price and power consumption might still be a major issue for miners who care about ROI and do not believe that much into Ethereum in order to mine even with losses, trying to mine as many coins as possible, in hopes of Ethereum going as high as 1k-2k$ in 2018.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero