Thread: Computer and/or Router Settings Question.

Xtreme Addict

Computer and/or Router Settings Question.

My sons Youtube uploads Kill the internet for the rest of the house. how to fix?

I have Four computers and a few handheld devices that connect to Comcast through a Netgear N600 (WNDR3700v3) router and then through a SB6120 surfboard cable modem. Specifically, My kids computers are hardwired into the router. Wife's and my laptops are wireless, as well as the handheld devices.

When the boy starts any kind of Youtube upload, he pretty much kills the entire internet for the rest of the house. What setting do I need to look into? Assuming there will be something on his Windows 7 desktop or in the router that can throttle his upload enough to allow the rest of us to connect. Just don't have any clue about these things.

Any help is appreciated and I will google it in the meantime.

Thank you,

L_S
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    My sons Youtube uploads Kill the internet for the rest of the house. how to fix?

I have Four computers and a few handheld devices that connect to Comcast through a Netgear N600 (WNDR3700v3) router and then through a SB6120 surfboard cable modem. Specifically, My kids computers are hardwired into the router. Wife's and my laptops are wireless, as well as the handheld devices.

When the boy starts any kind of Youtube upload, he pretty much kills the entire internet for the rest of the house. What setting do I need to look into? Assuming there will be something on his Windows 7 desktop or in the router that can throttle his upload enough to allow the rest of us to connect. Just don't have any clue about these things.

Any help is appreciated and I will google it in the meantime.

Thank you,

L_S
    I ve a fritzbox and never owned a netgear. Try out untangle or pfsense router. With these you can set the max internet up and download speed for your son's computer . Am using untangle as firewall and router. My main pc has 75% of my internet speed.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

set up QOS on your router.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi