Thread: [News] US senators call for Kaspersky ban

[News] US senators call for Kaspersky ban

http://fudzilla.com/news/43999-us-se...-kaspersky-ban

US senators have called for a ban on Moscow-based cyber security firm Kaspersky Lab's products from use by the military.

Senators are apparently scared that the company is vulnerable to "Russian government influence". The news comes a day after the FBI interviewed several of its US employees as part of a probe into its operations, although the two things might not be connected.

The Untouchables visited the homes of Kaspersky employees in multiple US cities for a quiet word. No search warrants were served.

Kaspersky Lab confirmed in a statement on Wednesday that FBI agents have had "brief interactions" with some of its US employees - discussions that the company described as "due diligence" chats.

However a defence spending policy bill passed by the Senate Armed Services Committee, prohibits the US Defence Department from using Kaspersky software platforms because the company "might be vulnerable to Russian government influence".

Democratic Senator Jeanne Shaheen, who amended the spending bill to include Kaspersky, said in a statement that "ties between Kaspersky Lab and the Kremlin are alarming".

A consensus in Congress and among Trump administration officials believed Kaspersky "cannot be trusted to protect critical infrastructure, particularly computer systems vital to our nation?s security," Shaheen said.

The bill would need to pass the full Senate and House of Representatives and be signed by President Donald (Prince of Orange) Trump to become law.

Last month, senior US intelligence officials said in testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee that they were reviewing government use of software from Kaspersky Lab.

The US press seems to be hinting that the probe into Kaspersky Lab is somehow related to an investigation led by special counsel Robert Mueller into Russian election meddling and collusion with associates of then Republican Party candidate Donald Trump. We are not sure how that works.

Kaspersky founder and Chief Executive Eugene Kaspersky had said during a question and answer session on Reddit that he would be willing to appear before the Senate to dispel any concerns about his company's products.

Kaspersky's anti-virus software is popular in the United States and around the world, though US officials have long been suspicious that the company may have ties to Russian intelligence agencies.

Kaspersky has said repeatedly it has no ties to any government and that allegations about its products being used to support Russian espionage are unfounded.

The company said, "Kaspersky Lab believes it is completely unacceptable that the company is being unjustly accused without any hard evidence to back up these false allegations." It said that in its 20-year history, the company has abided by "the highest ethical business practices".

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    What a crock of e!

I certainly hope we don't ban this anti-virus program. I've been using Kaspersky based anti-virus systems going on 9+ years. Never had a single virus since using their stuff - well worth the money.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Stupid politicians being stupid. They've blown this whole Russian hacking nonsense way beyond absurd proportions.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Stupid politicians being stupid. They've blown this whole Russian hacking nonsense way beyond absurd proportions.
    I wouldn't call it nonsense; there's a tremendous amount of supporting evidence that Russia influenced the election.

I agree that banning an anti-virus software is probably meaningless politcal blather though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They're not banning it, just banning its use by the military.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    They're not banning it, just banning its use by the military.
    It's like nobody even read the first quoted sentence.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Exactly...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So you guys say its not possible to put a sniffer in the software and send back data?

No. We're saying just because the company is based in Russia doesn't mean they are colluding with the Russian government to steal US data.

Better to show proof of this happening than to just do a kneejerk reaction of "DARN RUSSIANS!!!!" and demanding banning stuff. Basically declaring them guilty unless proven innocent, heck not even that, but more like "guilty because I hate you."

If he called for a probe to find out if it was indeed sniffing data etc then that would be different, and I would have no problem with that. Heck, they really should be careful with that sort of thing regardless of where the company is based.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Alright you caught me red-handed. I missed that first sentence...lol. Although, phew...it's just for the military not consumers.

On a side note though...I mean, , I'd hope our military uses something better than Kaspersky...is it too cliche to expect our government to be able to design something in-house??
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

LOL if they did it would only work half the time and cost 100x more than it should have
    The Cardboard Master

LOL if they did it would only work half the time and cost 100x more than it should have
    Touche

Xtreme Member
    Why Kasperskii over Norton?

Kaspersky and Bitdefender are currently the industry leaders with regards to detection technology. They are Russian and Romanian respectively.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No. We're saying just because the company is based in Russia doesn't mean they are colluding with the Russian government to steal US data.

Better to show proof of this happening than to just do a kneejerk reaction of "DARN RUSSIANS!!!!" and demanding banning stuff. Basically declaring them guilty unless proven innocent, heck not even that, but more like "guilty because I hate you."

If he called for a probe to find out if it was indeed sniffing data etc then that would be different, and I would have no problem with that. Heck, they really should be careful with that sort of thing regardless of where the company is based.
    Good explanation. You would think the dumb farts in washington would have picked it apart already. But like you said, knee jerk reaction. Know many folks who use it and are happy with it.

Xtreme Addict
    Kaspersky calls for ban on US senators.......................................... ......

And the world would be a better (and more honest) place
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's