Thread: [News] Vega Frontier Ed Beats TITAN Xp in Compute, Formidable Game Performance

[News] Vega Frontier Ed Beats TITAN Xp in Compute, Formidable Game Performance

https://www.techpowerup.com/234662/v...rmance-preview

PC World posted a preview of an AMD Radeon Pro Vega Frontier Edition graphics card, and reported some interesting observations about the card ahead of its review NDA. The tech publication compared the air-cooled Pro Vega Frontier Edition against NVIDIA's fastest consumer graphics card, the TITAN Xp. It did reveal performance numbers of the two cards in two compute-heavy tests, SPECViewPerf 12.1 and Cinebench R15 (OpenGL test), where the Vega FE significantly outperforms the TITAN Xp. This shouldn't come as a shocker because AMD GPUs tend to have a strong footing with GPU compute performance, particularly with open standards.

It's PC World's comments on the Vega card's gaming performance that might pique your interest. In its report, the publication comments that the Radeon Pro Vega Frontier Edition offers gaming performance that is faster than NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1080, but slightly slower than its GTX 1080 Ti graphics card. To back its statement, PC World claims to have run the Vega Frontier Edition and TITAN Xp in "Doom" with Vulkan API, "Prey" with DirectX 11, and "Sniper Elite 4" with DirectX 12. You must also take into account that the Radeon Pro Vega Frontier Edition could command a four-figure price, in the league of the TITAN Xp; and that gamers should look forward to the Radeon RX Vega series, bound for a late-July/early-August launch, at price-points more appropriate to their competitive positioning. The RX Vega is also expected to have 8 GB of memory compared to 16 GB on the Frontier Edition. Watch PC World's video presentation in the source link below.

Xtreme Guru
    Being slower than the Ti in Doom is bad news. I thought AMD cards greatly benefited from the Vulkan API?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Being slower than the Ti in Doom is bad news. I thought AMD cards greatly benefited from the Vulkan API?
    Probably drivers.

Xtreme Addict
    If the RX Vega is between 1080 and 1080ti then it will either have to be at least $100 cheaper than the Ti or it will be a silent berth of a card since knowing it will underperform on the high end will prompt most buyers to go for the 1080ti.

It's not looking good and if I wanted to upgrade today I would only look at the Vega FE gaming numbers before deciding which upgrade to get. Nobody will wait +2 months to see a marginally better card before making a choice.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

I will wait.

... because i'm not upgrading even in 2 months
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64