Thread: [News] New Geforce will be incremental

[News] New Geforce will be incremental

http://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/43...be-incremental

The upcoming Geforce GPU architecture will be more incremental than revolutionary as Nvidia appears to be using Intel?s tick-tock strategy.

This incremental comment will all make sense after we give you a few more details to sort things out. We still don?t dare to call the next generation Geforce a Volta. It is becoming apparent that Volta is for Tensor flow performance and Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, not gaming. Now Nvidia has two focuses, AI / ML and gaming. Not only does this mean that the outfit has opened new markets it means it is now so old it needs special glasses as it tries to focus on more things.

The dedicated follower of Pascal is now "a Pascal influenced design derived shrink down". With Maxwell architecture, Nvidia chose to optimise the GPU for better memory management. Back then, it became apparent to Nvidia that HBM and HBM 2 would not become mainstream in time for Pascal. Fudzilla already mentioned the fact that Pascal follower will not use HBM 2 memory.

Now, this looks like we were right as Volta-based V100 uses HBM 2 and Pascal fans will still stick with GDDR5X memory. Pascal-based GPUs will use the GDDR5X memory. That is ok; it works even at the highest possible settings.

One more thing we can expect from the Pascal follow up is 12 nm FinFET manufacturing. The 12 nm is likely because the TSMC process is more like an optimisation of the 16nm FinFET node than anything new. The concept that 12 nm is original can be attributed to the marketing skills of TSMC as in the eyes of the population, 12nm sounds much better than 16nm.

TSMCs 12nm FinFET process is an upgrade as the company time to optimise the manufacturing and process.The new Geforce will have a few new tricks. It will be what Intel would call a tock, while Pascal was the real shrink to 16nm FinFET is more of a tick.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    So, according to turdzilla, a 1080 Ti + 20-30% performance increase is "insignificant" because it is according to himself the almighty, an "incremental" update
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Mentor
    Nvidia started marketing bs... Can vega be that good?

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    The way I see it the only really credible information in this clickbait article is that the next nvidia GPU could be on 12nm or 16nm.

The rest of the article is...speculation at best...or, well...Fud.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Xtreme Member
    Volta is Maxwell

Quote Originally Posted by SinOfLiberty View Post
    Volta is Maxwell
    volta is fermi (hopefully without the fire.) the entire point of this next gen is to move the scheduler onto the gpu and not to increase flops.

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    So, according to turdzilla, a 1080 Ti + 20-30% performance increase is "insignificant" because it is according to himself the almighty, an "incremental" update
    not that NV is giving out numbers, but every gen since gpu boost was a thing they count top reference boost clock against stock base clock. so 20-30% would not be that much. now if we see cards doing that in reviews boost for boost.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi