Thread: [News] SuperMicro draws SuperBlade

[News] SuperMicro draws SuperBlade

http://www.fudzilla.com/43921-superm...aws-superblade

SuperMicro has lifted the wraps off its new Intel-based Omni-Path Architecture X11 8U/4U SuperBlade.

The gear supports the upcoming Skylake Xeon Processor Scalable Family.

The outfit said that the X11 SuperBlade is density and performance optimised kit for high performance and Artificial Intelligence.

The SuperBlade system supports up to 20x 2-socket servers,10x 4-socket servers or 20x Xeon Phi based servers, as well as 1x 100G Intel OPA or 100G EDR InfiniBand switch and 2x 10G/25G or 4x 25G Ethernet switches, with open industry standard remote management software for both servers, storage, and networking.

The integrated 100G Intel OPA switch is optimised for applications that need low latency and highest throughput. It can scale to thousands of nodes for high-performance workloads and provides adaptive routing to discover the least congested path, dispersive routing for multiple routes for redundancy and load balancing, packet integrity protection to allow the recovery of transient errors and lane scaling to deal with lane failure.

The enclosure has optional Battery Backup Power modules replacing high cost datacenter UPS systems for reliability and data protection.
    Supermicro President and CEO Charles Liang said the SuperBlade platform integrated with the Intel Omni Path Architecture based switch offers a dense HPC solution optimised with a low 100ns latency and maximised 100 Gb/s throughput for enhanced reliability and quality of service.

"Larger HPC deployments will benefit from best in class density, maximum processing performance and integrated high-performance fabric provided by the new SuperBlade."

Intel claims that its Omni-Path Architecture delivers the high performance, reliable and cost effective interconnect demanded by HPC. No price or release dates yet.

Xtreme Addict
    40x sockets in 7U sounds super toasty @_@; you are at or near limits of a standard 220v 30a circuit with just one if you do ~350w per * 20 (technically speaking over capacity but not realistic). Most of the current datacenters only handle that per rack in terms of cooling, some of the newer ones will go a bit higher but require additional considerations.

Some blade chassis I saw had quad power supplies and were each fed from its own circuit (ran off two, had two more for redundancy). We had some racks that had 6 or 8 30A 208V power sockets available to them.

This was back in 2008.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Levish View Post
    40x sockets in 7U sounds super toasty @_@; you are at or near limits of a standard 220v 30a circuit with just one if you do ~350w per * 20 (technically speaking over capacity but not realistic). Most of the current datacenters only handle that per rack in terms of cooling, some of the newer ones will go a bit higher but require additional considerations.
    That would be some hot stuff, fer sure

It would also be a serious violation of electrical codes, even with 100%-rated continuous breakers ...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Some blade chassis I saw had quad power supplies and were each fed from its own circuit (ran off two, had two more for redundancy). We had some racks that had 6 or 8 30A 208V power sockets available to them.

This was back in 2008.
    The sockets in a PDU do not typically dictate capacity, the circuits feeding them and the PDUs themselves have ratings. So the datacenter says "we'll give you 1x 220v 30a A/B circuit" which is about 6600w before losses, delivered as 2x redundant 30a plugs. You can do multiple per rack but your cooling per rack is always subject to limitations, if you exceed a ceiling they'll ask you to have (and pay for) an empty neighboring rack for example.

Just me saying that this is nice in theory, but in practice the density may be too much for anything beyond 1-2 fully loaded chassis per rack despite the solution being 7U and potentially being able to physically fit many more.

We ran our own datacenter. I worked for First Energy at the time.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Administrator

This was back in 2008.
    I have seen full racks of these, ones like them anway. Yeah they require special power setups. I don't know the spec or what you call them but the cables are huge, very thick.

They were great to sit behind for a few minutes if you had spent a lot of time in the cold aisle
    The Cardboard Master

Administrator
    They were great to sit behind for a few minutes if you had spent a lot of time in the cold aisle
    Oh yeah !! LOL
    Wearing ear protection also HAHA