Thread: [Various] Intel Core i9 (14nm Skylake-X)

Also another review is here

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ive read both.
    I was expecting that clock for clock, skyx can be slower than bde at times.
    BUT, its worse than i thought. Even with clock advantage, it STILL can be slower.And with higher temperatures thanks to the thermal paste!
    If someone pays top dollar for a new high priced platform, they at least should not be slower (yes i know, only at times).
    Im hoping were gonna get at least V2 of this with solder.As it stands. Nobody with 6900K or 6950X should have the urge to change...Well not without a delid.And i was hoping that 6900K and 6950X would radically drop in price...

Peeps, look at the memory ops speed. Somethings rotten with skyx, and thats a score with skyx at 2666 and BDE at 2400...
    Last edited by vario; 06-17-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Guru
    I was surprised Intel decided to reduce the cache. I get they optimized it quite a bit for Skylake, but many applications benefit from just physically having more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Skylake has 2.375 MB cache (1MB L2 + 1.375MB L3), Broadwell 2.75 MB (256KB L2 + 2.5MB L3) and Ryzen 2.5 MB (512KB L2 + 2MB L3). For heavily threaded applications, this should translate in better average memory latencies due to larger L2 that might compensate for lack of L3. This looks to be designed to perform very well in heavily threaded, data intensive applications while trading single thread performance (poor single/light threaded applications always benefit from more L3). I'd not rush to judge it until I see WinRAR & 7zip scores. Those are much better representatives for server loads.
    Last edited by sergiu; 06-18-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Overall a bit weird, and with TR coming out . . . kind of an ouch for Intel.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiu View Post
    Skylake has 2.375 MB cache (1MB L2 + 1.375MB L3), Broadwell 2.75 MB (256KB L2 + 2.5MB L3) and Ryzen 2.5 MB (512KB L2 + 2MB L3). For heavily threaded applications, this should translate in better average memory latencies due to larger L2 that might compensate for lack of L3. This looks to be designed to perform very well in heavily threaded, data intensive applications while trading single thread performance (poor single/light threaded applications always benefit from more L3). I'd not rush to judge it until I see WinRAR & 7zip scores. Those are much better representatives for server loads.
    I expect the larger L2 cache is to reduce the burden of inter-core L3 bandwidth and traffic (ringbus > mesh).

Xtreme Guru
    I understand the benefits of increasing L2 to reduce memory latency. But why not expand L3 on the Skylake-X parts to match Broadwell-E?

The only thing I can think of is it justifies their 6950X pricing. The 7900k is much cheaper (at launch), but doesn't necessarily win across the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I understand the benefits of increasing L2 to reduce memory latency. But why not expand L3 on the Skylake-X parts to match Broadwell-E?
    The only thing I can think of is it justifies their 6950X pricing. The 7900k is much cheaper (at launch), but doesn't necessarily win across the board.
    You still cannot address the issue of latencies for mesh-L3 cache.