Thread: Need advice on setup with ground water cooling

Hybrid View

Need advice on setup with ground water cooling

Hey guys,

My last PC had dual Reserator1 for a truly silent gaming, but that was over 10 years ago. Building a new rig in a new house now, and want to achieve the same near-silent setup. The problem: I'm in Cyprus and it's already +35C (95F) outside and will get worse in July/Aug. Passive heat dissipation inside the gaming room is actually not what I want.

However, just outside I have an 11 meters (36') narrow water well for gardening. Ambient down there is stable around 12C (53F) through the year. I am thinking of a single closed loop going from the room straight down the well and back to the rig. In total it will be like 35 meters (38 yards) of tubing, CPU and GPU (1080Ti) waterblocks. The trick is that bulky garden pump is already submerged there, so I have to come up with a clever heat exchanger. I'm thinking of smth like this:

The tubing goes down into the well, spirals around the garden pump, maximising the cold water contact square, and then goes up to the rig.

Questions I'd like to get help with:
    - Is it viable setup overall?
    - Will standard DDC pump will be enough for 35 meters of tubing?
    - What kind of non-metal tubing will be flexible enough to form the decent spiral in 20cm (8") tube and survive the 24/7 contact with water?
    - It's unlikely but possible to go below freezing here in January, so I might get ice in the outdoor segment. Do you think I should be concerned?

Intermediary heat exchanger is an option, however I'd like to keep the system as simple as possible.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	well.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	132351  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You'll need a pump or pumps with more than 11m head pressure to overcome gravity just to get it out of the well.
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Little Giant pump would work, it is also runs in very low temp.

Head pressure is the issue, maybe two pumps for a very long run.

Home depot and buy copper pipe to make heat exchanger that sits at the bottom of the well but...

The run is long and will inherently lose temperature if it is not insulated. Thus making the well trip useless.

Just build a box outside the wall where you are want to put the PC, put the radiator, fans and pumps in it.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID