Thread: Problem getting motherboard to recognize 16 gb dual ram

Xtreme Member

Problem getting motherboard to recognize 16 gb dual ram

I'm hoping you can help me. My previous patriot ram decided it was going to start giving off errors so I bought some new gaming ram.

I have an asrock z87 extreme6. I bought dual channel 2 sticks of 8 gb right (totaling 16 gb) corsair dominator platinum ddr3 2400 to go with it, it is on the motherboards list of compatible ram on the asrock website.

Here's the thing, I've tried every configuration I can think of to get this stuff to work as dual channel ram and it simply will NOT.

It's set to the correct profile and speed in the bios. They are in the correct slots according to the manual (A1 and B1. For the record, I've also tried A2 and B2, both of which should work according to the manual).

I've reset the cmos, no difference.

So just to give you an idea what it's saying... when I load UEFI, it shows that only the A1 is recognized as having 8 gb ddr3 2400 single channel ram. BUT, when I go to the tools and look up the system setup, it shows both channels have ddr3 2400 ram. From everything I'm understanding, this should mean that both sticks are recognized (especially since they both run just fine if I put only one stick in any of the slots) so it should have a dual channel ram designation in the sytem.

When I load to windows. CPUID is showing that the computer has 16 gb of ddr3 2400 single channel ram.

It just simply won't recognize that it is dual channel ram. Is there something I'm missing? I'm so frustrated, there aren't words.

I was hoping this might clear up the massive amount of stuttering I have on witcher 3 and mass effect andromeda no matter what I do, especially since I have a gtx 970 memory card. It should still be stuttering like these even on the lowest settings and with all the suggestions I've followed on the net. Heck, its even hitching and stuttering in EQ2 and that games almost 15 years old.

I swear, when I get the money, I'm upgrading to sas for everything, and ssd. I'm so sick of this. It's just a little beyond my monetary ability right now.
    Last edited by moiraesfate; 05-23-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Xtreme Member
    So it's been two days, I talked to a guild member on EQ2 and he had me do a bunch of things (can't remember them all), but it is NOW reading as dual channel ram. I don't even know which of those instructions is what fixed it. I'm just glad it's working now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Glad you got it working...
    not many people around anymore
    I haven't been here much myself... pop in and read new threads...
    this was the only one...

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

in the future you needed to up the vccio.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    So I posted on MMORPG.com since apparently I STILL am having the same problem with the way the games are running. Though at least the new ram is displaying as dual channel still. They made a very interesting suggestion that I check the temperatures of my cpu. Well gee, it's HOT. Like, all the time. Really hot. 200 degrees fehr hot. On average. Even when watching a movie. Even with the fans turned on high. Even with the sides of the case open. I've ordered a better fan from newegg to try to bring the temp down. If this doesn't work, I'll need a new cpu. Because wow, that's a difference. I shut off the computer, wait for it to cool down, boot it up. Temp is around 140. Start up ANYTHING and it becomes somewhere around 200 with slight variations. At first the game runs fine for about 30 seconds. By that time, the temps up to 200 and my game has major bad stuttering and hitching.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Checking the heatsink temp, does it feel hot
    If the heatsink is well connected and your getting these high temps the heatsink would also be really hot.
    which leads to, Does the heatsink have good contact to the CPU? this could be the whole issue.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

Xtreme Member
    Oh yes, it's hot. I'm going to remove the old stuff and add new as soon as my new after market cooler arrives. It can't be soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
    Oh yes, it's hot. I'm going to remove the old stuff and add new as soon as my new after market cooler arrives. It can't be soon enough.
    can you take a pic of the cooler you have now?
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    It's just the stock cooler that came with the cpu. Really, I can't feel ANY air coming from the thing when it's plugged in even though it's on and spinning attached or unattached from the cpu. So maybe it's spinning but not fast enough to drive the air enough to cool anything. It's just a fan, nothing more. I can get you a picture tomorrow but it's dark in here and the lighting won't get better until the sun is out. I've found that if I use my phone to take pictures in the dark, it makes it too bright to see. Either way. I'm getting something better. It was on sale at Newegg and has excellent ratings, so it's not a problem.

Xtreme Member
    Well, I got the new cooler and installed it. Wonderful wonderful cooler. It dropped my temps by 60 degrees immediately. And NO stuttering in any of my games. I'm debating adding some noctua fans since I have a spot on the bottom and two spots on the top in the case that don't have fans. It should cool it even further. I've been trying to figure out whats been causing the stuttering for at least a year and I'm lucky it didn't burn out.