Thread: [News] Intel Pushes Motherboard + Optane Bundles, "Coffee Lake" in August

[News] Intel Pushes Motherboard + Optane Bundles, "Coffee Lake" in August

https://www.techpowerup.com/233450/i...lake-in-august

Back in April, we reported motherboard manufacturer MSI bundling Intel's Optane cache SSD with a few of its mid-range motherboards. While not free, the bundle would be slightly cheaper than the sum of its parts (buying the board and SSD separately). At the time we predicted that other motherboard vendors could launch similar bundles. It turns out that Intel is indeed coordinating motherboard + Optane SSD bundles.

In a bid to boost sales of its 200-series chipset motherboards and Core "Kaby Lake" processors, Intel is coordinating bundles of motherboards across brands with its Optane cache SSDs. Analysts predict that this could be an inventory-clearing exercise by Intel, because it plans to launch its next-generation Core "Coffee Lake" processors by late-August, 2017. "Coffee Lake" will see the introduction of six-core processor SKUs to Intel's mainstream-desktop platform, which is currently led by the quad-core i7-7700K "Kaby Lake."

Xtreme Member
    I struggle to see the value of Optane at the moment. I realise that its a good value way to get 'sort of' SSD performance, but the price at the moment that i see in stores, you can get a much higher capacity SSD regardless.

I must be missing something!

Especially seeing as this is only available on the latest hardware. I'd have thought this would have been more useful for people with ageing systems to breathe in new life for those with budgets and hard drives?
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post
    I struggle to see the value of Optane at the moment. I realise that its a good value way to get 'sort of' SSD performance, but the price at the moment that i see in stores, you can get a much higher capacity SSD regardless.

Especially seeing as this is only available on the latest hardware. I'd have thought this would have been more useful for people with ageing systems to breathe in new life for those with budgets and hard drives?
    Even Intel struggles to see the value on Optane. That's why it has to come bundled with a board...
    Main: Windows 10 Core i7 5820K @ 4500Mhz, Corsair H100i, 32GB DDR4-2800, eVGA GTX980 Ti, Kingston SSDNow 240GB, Crucial C300 64GB Cache + WD 1.5TB Green, Asus X99-A/USB3.1
    ESXi Server 6.5 Xeon E5 2670, 64GB DDR3-1600, 1TB, Intel DX79SR, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    ESXi Server 6.0 Xeon E5 2650L v3, 64GB DDR4-2400, 1TB, Asrock X99 Xtreme4, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    FreeNAS 9.10 x64 Xeon X3430 , 32GB DDR3-1600, 3x(3x1TB) WD Blue, Intel S3420GPRX, 4xIntel 1Gbps

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The only value of consumer-level Optane at the moment appears to be lower latency for small file reads/writes.

Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post

it is supposed to be a real help for bulk storage raid arrays with shingled drives, but intel does not support it for a raid cache yet. as a cache for things with things like unraid you can use it to do the raid pre-caching on any platform with nvme support.

i dont get it with the current consumer use other than getting around two drives and junctions if some one wants a cheap ssd and cheap bulk but not 2 visible drives.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi