Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [News] AMD to announce Vega tonight [Update: Vega Computex Announcement]

[News] AMD to announce Vega tonight [Update: Vega Computex Announcement]

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphic...e-vega-tonight

AMD will announce Vega at its 2017 Financial Analyst Day and of course none other than Raja Koduri will share a few more details with us.

The call and the event takes place later today at May 16, 2017 1:00 PM Pacific Time, 4:00 PM Eastern Time and 11 PM Central European time and will be webcast.

It is not roses, roses though, as Fudzilla has learned that Vega has experienced some delays and issues, and we are working to get a few more details. AMD has committed to ship the Vega first HBM 2 GPU before the end of the second quarter, but even if this happens, the numbers will be limited and its performance might not be as great as the fanboys expected. From what we know, Vega won't be able to beat the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti or Titan.

The original plan was to launch Vega earlier, but since this is highly complicated silicon, things tend to go bad. Let?s not underestimate the cost of HBM 2 memory as well as shortages.

AMD will have the following people at the call so expect to see the full company?s overview and a bit more about the desktop, notebook and server strategy too.
    http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74...rol-analystday

AMD Confirms Radeon RX Vega Soft-launch at Computex
    Last edited by StyM; 05-19-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Well, about damn time.

But this announcement should have came immediately after the 1080 Ti launch. If without a launch, news of a cheaper alternative would restrict how much Nvidia further saturates the enthusiast market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I'm prepared for another PR fiasco like the Capsaicin event
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    I'm prepared for another PR fiasco like the Capsaicin event
    lol that was absolutely terrible
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Monster
    Fingers crossed, I really want this to have a meaning.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    For the time being it's like they are replaying a mix of Zen event and Capsaicin.

Please, at least, no VR VR VR VR bull!

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    To quote Han Solo "I've got a bad feeling about this".

That article quote doesn't put things in a good light to say the least.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    LOL.

Late June ( aka a few days before July comes ) for the... datacenter & HPC Vega card.
    No mention at all of the consumer/gamer card.

September ? October ? "Poor volta"...

Performance shown in Sniper Elite 4... DX11 ( I remember AMD was like "we optimized for the latest and newest APIs" ) and a game that favors AMD GPUs, Vega showing 60fps... 1080 Ti doing 68fps in reviews.
    Not a good indication if you ask me.

Good luck keeping the gamers off buying a 1080 Ti now.

If it is an even 60 fps it could be vsynced - which would be a rather dumb thing to do.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    where are you watching or reading those???

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    If it is an even 60 fps it could be vsynced - which would be a rather dumb thing to do.

It wasn't, it went like up to 72fps, but the average for that short demo ( which could easily be not at ultra details settings like the reviews ) was around 60 - 62fps.

They are stupid in marketing their GPUs, but they're not stupid enough to do a benchmark with Vsync on ( especially when they are pushing FreeSync so hard )

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    You missed it.
    Raja Kuduri's presentation of Vega... well, mostly catering to the HPC crowd

http://webcastevents.com/events/amd/...p-player-1.htm

Still live, but there's no way they'll show any gaming related benchmarks at all from now on.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well the news was overall good. One thing to note, 13Tflops on this vega card, means 1586 or so Mhz. This means vega is REALLY clocking better. Thats pretty encouraging.
    But also, we should be ready for a card that will be faster than the 1080 but overall slower than the Ti. And it may come only in summer.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/

Official specs shown.

64 CUs confirmed, 90GP/s fillrate

@vario

considering the HBM2 supply, and AMD's financial dept's needs for profit, and given that from the looks of it, the area where the Vega performs well is... HPC / Datacenter, I'm pretty sure they'll want to sell as many HPC Vega cards as possible before releasing cards for the gamers for a much lower price and profit per card...

I'd say late September AT BEST for consumer card availability ( and at what numbers ? )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/

Official specs shown.

64 CUs confirmed, 90GP/s fillrate

@vario

considering the HBM2 supply, and AMD's financial dept's needs for profit, and given that from the looks of it, the area where the Vega performs well is... HPC / Datacenter, I'm pretty sure they'll want to sell as many HPC Vega cards as possible before releasing cards for the gamers for a much lower price and profit per card...

I'd say late September AT BEST for consumer card availability ( and at what numbers ? )

Well, tbh, while a bit of a letdown, i was expecting vega from april. Summer is almost here, and in the summer i barely play any games.And if they will come out only in september, we will already know something about volta. And it may even be worth waiting until volta launches. I buy cards in 2-3years so no biggie. But people will lose their if vega aint here before summer
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Everytime the GPU department holds a presentation the AMD stock falls and people are being let down.

If only we had a fully integrated and analyzed global market, it would've been very interesting to see the orders being placed at this moment, is the GTX 1070, 1080, 1080 ti sales rate going up ?

Launching the "announced" HPC card in late June ( see July ) leaves little hope for let's say an August or mid September launch for the gaming part.
    People have been holding off since... RX 580 to buy a new VGA, they were expecting to be able to get a Radeon Vega RX in May... in the worst case scenario, in June... not in August at the very best.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, i think i have found a smoking gun.
    From AMD`s Vega Frontier page

The Radeon Vega Frontier Edition graphics card is going to empower the pioneers creating the next generation of gaming experiences, but it does beg one question: Can you game on a Radeon Vega Frontier Edition? The answer is yes, absolutely. But because this graphics card is optimized for professional use cases (and priced accordingly), if gaming is your primary reason for buying a GPU, I’d suggest waiting just a little while longer for the lower-priced, gaming-optimized Radeon RX Vega graphics card. You’ll be glad you did.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    That's a whole lot of sugarcoating

Xtreme Addict
    LoL. At least you won't have to wait long to find out how wrong you are.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 05-16-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    We shall see...

Now our issue is the release date & quantity, performance is something we don't talk about anymore is it ?

Don't get lost

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If they're supply constrained then limiting vega to high margin areas makes sense. However note the background render at this timestamp
    https://youtu.be/590h3XIUfHg?t=4401
    Vega logo on an HBM-less package. Maybe it's just art, but maybe we also have gddr variants coming.

Last edited by Darakian; 05-17-2017 at 05:19 AM.
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Addict
    What the hell is going on with consumer Vega?! Still no news.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Ugh just stop it man, you're worse then AMD. Every time with these 'I know more then you but I'm not saying anything' rubbish. Even Raja can't top your nonsense.
    Last edited by Tim; 05-17-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    What the hell is going on with consumer Vega?! Still no news.
    no one is shipping bulk hbm2. samsung has some test batches they shipped out for testing recently, but micron and hynx have not shipped test batches recently and no one has a schedule for bulk. amd needs a gp102 equivalent so they can stick gddr on a part made for hbm, but since they went all in on hbm with nothing gddr on the same architecture i dont see it happening.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

AMD put their eggs in the HBM basket, unfortunately that basket is full of holes.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast