Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [News] AMD to announce Vega tonight [Update: Vega Computex Announcement]

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    no one is shipping bulk hbm2. samsung has some test batches they shipped out for testing recently, but micron and hynx have not shipped test batches recently and no one has a schedule for bulk. amd needs a gp102 equivalent so they can stick gddr on a part made for hbm, but since they went all in on hbm with nothing gddr on the same architecture i dont see it happening.
    Yes it's looking like you're right zanzabar.

Do you have any idea when bulk HBM2 will be shipping? Best guess?

That could determine when we will see high end GPU's for gaming from AMD. After this presentation it doesn't look like any gaming parts are going to be released in June - even with rumors flying around to the contrary.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    If they're supply constrained then limiting vega to high margin areas makes sense. However note the background render at this timestamp
    https://youtu.be/590h3XIUfHg?t=4401
    Vega logo on an HBM-less package. Maybe it's just art, but maybe we also have gddr variants coming.
    VEGA 11 is supposed to come out in late Q3 and be on GDDR5(x?) .If they wont release this too, thats a second year wasted for amd in high margin gpus. If nvidia would just come to terms with freesync. They would take all.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    We shall see...

Now our issue is the release date & quantity, performance is something we don't talk about anymore is it ?

Don't get lost
    Release date isn't really an issue for those that don't immediately jump into a worst case scenario...
    Same with quantity, the ~10k units at launch has been restated on almost every single high-end launch since Fermi. It is nice that they changed it from 15k to 16k for this launch.
    Performance has never really been questioned if you have been actually reading the solid info we have on Vega. Worst case is ~10% slower than 1080Ti FE (going by TPU charts).

Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    If they're supply constrained then limiting vega to high margin areas makes sense. However note the background render at this timestamp
    https://youtu.be/590h3XIUfHg?t=4401
    Vega logo on an HBM-less package. Maybe it's just art, but maybe we also have gddr variants coming.

https://i.imgur.com/fWkIZqN.png
    Render seems more or less accurate to me. I believe they will be using an IHS due to the different heights of the 4hi and 8hi HBM2 stacks.
    I don't see any GDDR ICs on the PCB in that render.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    What the hell is going on with consumer Vega?! Still no news.

Ugh just stop it man, you're worse then AMD. Every time with these 'I know more then you but I'm not saying anything' rubbish. Even Raja can't top your nonsense.
    What is your problem?
    An expanding high margin market that should double its revenue in the next 2-3 years is more geared to Financial Analyst Day than AMD trying to claw back some of the highend enthusiast desktop market.
    Maybe there is some sort of consumer tradeshow coming up where they have scheduled a press event?

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    no one is shipping bulk hbm2. samsung has some test batches they shipped out for testing recently, but micron and hynx have not shipped test batches recently and no one has a schedule for bulk. amd needs a gp102 equivalent so they can stick gddr on a part made for hbm, but since they went all in on hbm with nothing gddr on the same architecture i dont see it happening.
    Samsung went into mass production of HBM2 in Jan '16. Hynix said they weren't more than a quarter behind at that time due to bringing up a new line.
    Supposedly both are fully ramped as of Q1 '17, so I'm not sure where you are getting this.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    Yes it's looking like you're right zanzabar.

Do you have any idea when bulk HBM2 will be shipping? Best guess?

That could determine when we will see high end GPU's for gaming from AMD. After this presentation it doesn't look like any gaming parts are going to be released in June - even with rumors flying around to the contrary.
    i would guess it should ship from samsung in july at earliest, but samsung is bellow the spec and we dont know when hynx is shipping since they have no testing that we know of. samsung has a test run for early june that will hopefully not be too under spec.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Samsung went into mass production of HBM2 in Jan '16. Hynix said they weren't more than a quarter behind at that time due to bringing up a new line.
    Supposedly both are fully ramped as of Q1 '17, so I'm not sure where you are getting this.
    samsung started the the process for bulk shipments, the functional yield failed, and the parts all binned lower than jdec spec. they retooled and failed yield/bin again in march and are have another test batch in june. micron failed their test batch last october and said they would hold off until a node shrink expected for late '17. hynx failed in feb and we have not heard anything about bulk or a new test run. micron and hynx also did not ship any of their samples in their parts portals like samsung did; that does not mean we wont see their parts in enterprise applications like this vega or the p100 or v100, but it does mean we are no where near getting those consumer or non super computer products out.

remember in 2015 when hbm2 was going to save routers, phones, tvs, dvrs, and storage controllers, but we have seen none of it at trade shows.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Yeah something has gone dreadfully wrong with HBM2 production.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Samsung went into mass production of HBM2 in Jan '16. Hynix said they weren't more than a quarter behind at that time due to bringing up a new line. Supposedly both are fully ramped as of Q1 '17, so I'm not sure where you are getting this.
    Well wccftech just posted an article highlighting the delay of HBM2 and stating it's the reason Vega 10 high end gaming components aren't out yet. Timeline looks a little different.

The 9 Month HBM2 Delay & Progressive Decline In Clock Speeds

We?re now seeing evidence that HBM2 is behind schedule, significantly so. Hynix updates its product databook on a quarterly basis. HBM2 first made an appearance in the company?s product catalog back in Q3 2016.

Hynix originally planned to ship HBM2 in Q3 2016 but it was pushed back a quarter in every update since then. The company initially planned to introduce two HBM2 products, rated at 2.0Gbps and 1.6Gbps. Overtime, the 2.0Gbps product was ostensibly scrapped in favor of the slower memory, likely because of yield/cost challenges.

According to the latest update from Hynix, HBM2 is still not available right now but is expected to begin shipping some time in Q2 2017. Memory products that Hynix is shipping right now are marked ?Now? under the availability column. Products not currently shipping have a quarterly based estimated shipping time-frame instead. This is is why HBM2?s availability is stated as ?Q2?17? rather than ?Now?
    Link
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Xtreme Addict
    Well wccftech just posted an article highlighting the delay of HBM2 and stating it's the reason Vega 10 high end gaming components aren't out yet. Timeline looks a little different.

Link
    FYI- They are purely going off Hynix's publicly posted product catalog which isn't good investigative journalism.
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    FYI- They are purely going off Hynix's publicly posted product catalog which isn't good investigative journalism.
    My common sense is tingling.
    They are making the chips for quite a while now. They paper launched pro cards with availability in LATE june.
    They COULD be making assload of cash of them vegas for gamers.
    Raja in AMA on reddit today dodged the question again.
    Remember this teaser and subsequent quiz with vega as a prize ? Theres still no eta on when the guy or gal is gonna get the card. Its "soon" for few months already.
    So, you really think theres gonna be hard launch at computex ? really ?
    Im pretty sure were gonna see the cards on computex.And there will still be no hard ETA.Unless its august or something.
    And, even the FE got slower HBM2 chips. This thing has worse bandwith than fiji! points to bad yields.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Huh? Strange. Cause that seems to match the reality of the situation.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Assuming that you have the resources to produce 20.000 Vega high end cards.
    Given AMD's economic status, and the need to "impress" the investors, what would you do ?

Sell 20000 cards @ 1500 - 2000 a piece
    or
    Sell 10000 cards @ 1500 - 2000 a piece and 10000 @ 550 a piece

?
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    So, you really think theres gonna be hard launch at computex ? really ?
    Im pretty sure were gonna see the cards on computex.And there will still be no hard ETA.Unless its august or something.
    And, even the FE got slower HBM2 chips. This thing has worse bandwith than fiji! points to bad yields.
    I never said a hard launch at computex. Stop trying to twist my words.

Huh? Strange. Cause that seems to match the reality of the situation.
    Does it? Cause there are numerous examples that prove otherwise.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    You are twisting your own words.

First I say "best case scenario right now looks like August at best for consumer cards from Vega", then you say "two weeks before you are proven wrong", and now you are like "release date isn't an issue".

Make up your mind.
    What was AMD saying the whole time ?
    Is it being released during that timeframe ? no ( they were talking to gamers and implying that a gamer's card will be released, regardless of a pro card ).

Did they include the nasty "Poor volta" ? How true is it ? Especially in gaming if they are failing to match the 1080 Ti ?

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    You are twisting your own words.

First I say "best case scenario right now looks like August at best for consumer cards from Vega", then you say "two weeks before you are proven wrong", and now you are like "release date isn't an issue".

Make up your mind.
    What was AMD saying the whole time ?
    Is it being released during that timeframe ? no ( they were talking to gamers and implying that a gamer's card will be released, regardless of a pro card ).

Did they include the nasty "Poor volta" ? How true is it ? Especially in gaming if they are failing to match the 1080 Ti ?
    Really? I will help you out.

LOL.

Late June ( aka a few days before July comes ) for the... datacenter & HPC Vega card.
    No mention at all of the consumer/gamer card.

September ? October ? "Poor volta"...

Performance shown in Sniper Elite 4... DX11 ( I remember AMD was like "we optimized for the latest and newest APIs" ) and a game that favors AMD GPUs, Vega showing 60fps... 1080 Ti doing 68fps in reviews.
    Not a good indication if you ask me.

Good luck keeping the gamers off buying a 1080 Ti now.
    And in case you missed it Vega FE is a pro-sumer card, like a Titan , not a HPC card like MI25.
    SE4 demo showed Vega (if the settings were on Ultra) matching/beating an OC'ed 1080Ti in the same areas.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 05-19-2017 at 04:53 AM.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    SE4 demo showed inferior performance to the 1080 Ti stock, not even OCed.

Unless you think a 1400MHz boost 1080 Ti is considered... overclocked

Your "pro-sumer" card phrase is really funny.
    What's next ?

Convincing people to buy a 1500-2000$ card with inferior performance to a $699 card ?

Xtreme Mentor
    Still not released means something gone wrong with Vega reason might be HBM2 or another thing it does not matter.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

So paper launch first week of June. By the time everything is sorted out still looks like...July-ish before anyone has a physical card in their hands.

Why bother?

Xtreme Addict
    No hard launch date
    No proper performance figures
    No admitting supply problems with HBM2

They should call this the Radeon VAGUE.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post

They should call this the Radeon VAGUE.

Anyhow, this TPU soft launch news is misleading. No one from AMD told anyone about any sort of RX vega launch.
    They only talked about "showing" RX Vega on computex. Not to burst anyones bubbles, but they are showing it from december.As in showing live demos of the card working, and even playing some games.That doesnt mean jack.

Xtreme Member
    The card can OC well and be a threat to 1080ti. But unlocked power limit Ti will blow it out of the water.

Xtreme Addict
    SE4 demo showed inferior performance to the 1080 Ti stock, not even OCed.

Unless you think a 1400MHz boost 1080 Ti is considered... overclocked

Your "pro-sumer" card phrase is really funny.
    What's next ?

Convincing people to buy a 1500-2000$ card with inferior performance to a $699 card ?
    HuH? In the same areas it was roughly matching and at times beating a 1900mhz 1080Ti...

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    It appears that you are pretty much the only one with that "vision"

Even if it could be beating the overclocked Titan Xp there too, it wouldn't be much of a "relief" since when you look at how various cards from AMD & nVIDIA perform on SE4 you see a pattern that isn't reflected outside that game.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Vega's looking good, just taking so damn long to arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post

Anyhow, this TPU soft launch news is misleading. No one from AMD told anyone about any sort of RX vega launch.
    They only talked about "showing" RX Vega on computex. Not to burst anyones bubbles, but they are showing it from december.As in showing live demos of the card working, and even playing some games.That doesnt mean jack.
    Because TPU has sunk to another new low, outside of PSU reviews that place has gone to s#it. But hey, at least it's profitable now!

It doesn't help when they get linked all the time either. When will Xs news be Xs news again? Instead of just copy pasta some other site/s?
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme Member
    Just to clarify:

RX- September launch

FE-Late June

Enthusiast can get FE, sorta like Titan but it is not much slower than RX.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SinOfLiberty View Post
    Just to clarify:

RX- September launch

FE-Late June

Enthusiast can get FE, sorta like Titan but it is not much slower than RX.
    I sure hope that's note remotely correct, RX in September would be pretty disastrous for the market.
    Last edited by Tim; 05-22-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast