Thread: [News] MP3 is dead, long live AAC

[News] MP3 is dead, long live AAC

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/12/...long-live-aac/

MP3, the format that revolutionized the way we consume (and steal) music since the 90s, has been officially retired -- in a manner of speaking. The German research institution that created the format, The Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits, announced that it had terminated licensing for certain MP3-related patents...in other words, they didn't want to keep it on life support, because there are better ways to store music in the year 2017. Rest now forever, MP3.

In its place, the director of the Fraunhofer Institute told NPR, the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) format has become the "de facto standard for music download and videos on mobile phones." It's simply more efficient and has greater functionality, as streaming TV and radio broadcasting use the format to deliver higher-quality audio at lower bitrates than MP3.

Basic research in audio encoding began at the Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg in the late 1980s. Researchers there and from the Fraunhofer Institute joined forces, and their result was the humble MP3 standard. The format takes up 10 percent of the storage space of the original file, a monumental reduction at the time. According to Stephen Witt's book How Music Got Free, corporate sabotage and and other failures almost stonewalled the MP3 into irrelevancy. Finally, Fraunhofer just started giving away software consumers could use to rip songs from compact discs to MP3 files on their home computer, after which the format took off.

By the end of the 90s, however, those tiny files were zipping around the nascent internet, spawning a gold rush of digital piracy. It ruled illegal sharing for years as sites like Napster and Kazaa hosted popular peer-to-peer services allowing folks to download songs with a click. Of course, the format also enabled development on the legal side of the aisle as online vendors scrambled to lawfully meet the connected public's need for digitally-acquired music.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Or opus
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Guru
    Interesting. I see this more as open sourcing mp3 than killing it per say, as I'm sure third party developers will look to provide continued support.

MP3 is a bit outdated, but imo there's too many who still use it for the format to disappear overnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

I'll bet most of the cars out there that support MP3 don't support AAC.

Just a guess.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I'll bet most of the cars out there that support MP3 don't support AAC.

Just a guess.
    In what sense? Most infotainment modules are just audio pass-throughs, so it's not like you actually do the audio decoding on the vehicle.

Now there are plenty of aftermarket radios that you can store files. No idea if those support AAC or not (but I'd be willing to bet most do).

.....}

Regards, Hans

Aftermarket isn't the issue. I'm talking factory head units. How many people use aftermarket? You and me, sure, but most people do not, and most stock head units will likely have no idea what to do with AAC files. The software on the system has to be able to recognize the file format after all.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Guru
    Aftermarket isn't the issue. I'm talking factory head units. How many people use aftermarket? You and me, sure, but most people do not, and most stock head units will likely have no idea what to do with AAC files. The software on the system has to be able to recognize the file format after all.
    Right, but most factory infotainment modules are just audio passthrough via Bluetooth. I suppose you could theoretically burn a CD with AACs, but the auto industry has been trying to kill CD players for a while now. Pretty much only older architectures or new designs that have older generation customers will continue to have it. For example, CD player is now an option on some of the Lincolns - and is not necessarily included with some higher end audio packages.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Well yeah if you're doing audio via bluetooth that's not an issue. I meant locally stored audio files, whether that be an older MP3 CD or a more current USB flash drive.

Personally, I don't care to use my phone for music in my vehicle (heck I don't store that much music on my phone anyway). I find it more convenient to have the stuff local to the head unit.
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well yeah if you're doing audio via bluetooth that's not an issue. I meant locally stored audio files, whether that be an older MP3 CD or a more current USB flash drive.

Personally, I don't care to use my phone for music in my vehicle (heck I don't store that much music on my phone anyway). I find it more convenient to have the stuff local to the head unit.
    I concur with most cars having support for MP3 but perhaps not for AAC. Like you said, many factory headunits that could read data, read MP3 via CD or a USB drive, as well as aftermarket units I've owned. Newer cars should be able to redeem this via a software upgrade but most automakers seem slow to make such fixes/upgrades.
    -Cpu:Opteron 170 LCBQE 0722RPBW(2.87ghz @ 1.300v)
    (retired)Opteron 146 (939) CAB2E 0540
    -Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90
    -Fan:120mm Yate Loon 1650 RPM @ 12V, 70.5 CFM, 33dB
    -Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 UT Ultra-D
    -Ram: Mushkin High Performance blue, 2gigs(2X1gig kit) PC3200 991434
    -Hard drive: Seagate 400GB Barracuda SATA HD 7200.10(AS noisey model)
    -Video card: evga 6800GS @520/1170
    -Case: P180
    -PSU:Enermax 535Watt EG565P-VE FMA (24P)

Xtreme Mentor
    MP3 AAC who cares anymore... spotify, pandora, google play music etc. are the only thing that matters for the users.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by turbox997 View Post
    I concur with most cars having support for MP3 but perhaps not for AAC. Like you said, many factory headunits that could read data, read MP3 via CD or a USB drive, as well as aftermarket units I've owned. Newer cars should be able to redeem this via a software upgrade but most automakers seem slow to make such fixes/upgrades.
    As I noted above, this isn't typical auto industry slowness (lord knows we have a lot LOL). If anything, over the air software updates will make that a lot better. I just don't think most OEMs are planning on CD players being supported that much longer. Aftermarket is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    MP3 AAC who cares anymore... spotify, pandora, google play music etc. are the only thing that matters for the users.
    I wouldn't go that far - many of my data limited friends can't use streaming services. But I do think the vast majority of people broadcast the audio from their phone these days, whether it be locally stored or cloud based.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    Or opus
    Seconded. If it can be lossy, use Opus. If it needs to be lossless, use FLAC. There is no need for anything else for general purposes these days.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Seconded. If it can be lossy, use Opus. If it needs to be lossless, use FLAC. There is no need for anything else for general purposes these days.
    Agreed. MP3 can be good for small embbded devices.

Memory those days cost almost nothing. So lossless is the best idea. And a lot of cars can play it.

I store all I can in flac. I thow out MP3 wih lower bitrate than 256 / 384kb/s