Thread: AMD Radeon RX 570, 580 Released

Xtreme Monster

AMD Radeon RX 570, 580 Released

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...80_Nitro_Plus/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/...-rx-570-review

Some of my thoughts about it.

The 5xx series are much worse overall than the 4xx series, I expected a lot more from them. There is nothing better or refined about the 5xx series. Whoever wants performance without needing a super ultra power supply, better to go quick and buy the 4xx series before its too late.

If at least they had updated its memory to 9ghz, then it would be a reason to justify it but nothing was really done about it. They actually increased the clock on core and then increased the voltage and there we go rx 580.

Plus, now you need an extra 6 pin connector to feed the beast, the rx 580 looks now a rx 590 in power usage. Many of you were waiting for the rx 590, there you go, you got it from AMD.

So what are your thoughts about it?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow, i figured the "new" revision would have better power efficiency... Before judging though, I wouldn't mind seeing a the 580 clocked to 480 stock clocks and compare.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Geez did they not learn anything??

I think this explains why it's taking so long for Vega 10 to come out. AMD/ATi has another dud GPU release on their hands and they don't want to show it....sigh.

Guess the next thing to look forward to is $1500 top of the line GPU's from nvidia, I mean, cause who's going to stop them? lol

Obviously, this is just off the cuff speculation on my part, but if true, I'm really disappointed as I was hoping AMD could bring some competition with the 500 series (more so attributed to Vega 10 however).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    People are coming in on this badly.
    There are no reference 580 models.
    Almost all of them are overclocked by default, some of them employ a second bios/settings to get power/noise lower.
    All of them are overclocking better than the 480.
    What was the worst thing about 480 launch ?
    Cooling and the pcb/throttling. No more.
    AMD made a mistake naming those 580 instead 485 like they initially INTENDED.But thats just a name.
    Did nvidia release 1160 on volta ? No, so are they still fighting 1060 ? yea.
    If power consumption UNDER LOAD is so important to you, just underclock it , it will have similar or lower power draw like 480.Or buy a version with lower clocks and/or quiet mode.
    I mean, i have 290X, that pulls power. But still, i have good cooling on it, amd made some great improvements on the drivers through the years, its really silent like 80% of time, and even under hard game load doesnt get that much louder.This thing pulls much less W.
    As for the vega state, we dont know, but amd isnt launching it because they cant buy enough HBM2 not because they dont want to sell them, even if they sux .
    Theres also this improvement in memory states, look on the anandtech.

Video Playback Power Testing (Power Draw at Wall)
    Idle High Bitrate H.264 High Bitrate HEVC
    Radeon RX 480 76W 125W 125W
    Radeon RX 580 74W 90W 93W
    I watch a lot more video than play games.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

that power and clocks is looking about the same as my msi gaming x and it looks like they overclock the same.

Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post

I think this explains why it's taking so long for Vega 10 to come out. AMD/ATi has another dud GPU release on their hands and they don't want to show it....sigh.

Guess the next thing to look forward to is $1500 top of the line GPU's from nvidia, I mean, cause who's going to stop them? lol

Obviously, this is just off the cuff speculation on my part, but if true, I'm really disappointed as I was hoping AMD could bring some competition with the 500 series (more so attributed to Vega 10 however).
    no one is shipping bulk hmb2. since it uses samsung lithography we know it will be low clocked or have huge power requirements. but for vega overall we know no one is shipping hmb2 so that is why it did not come out. that also looks why the gp100 titan did not come out.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    that power and clocks is looking about the same as my msi gaming x and it looks like they overclock the same. ...
    You get 1500mhz ?

Thats a msi gaming x 580
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    You get 1500mhz ?

Thats a msi gaming x 580
    http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=a...=file&id=30561
    i can get like 1482 then i hit the bios limit for amps
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

no one is shipping bulk hmb2. since it uses samsung lithography we know it will be low clocked or have huge power requirements. but for vega overall we know no one is shipping hmb2 so that is why it did not come out. that also looks why the gp100 titan did not come out.
    Yeah, I suppose that plays a major part in it. I still feel like they should have released Vega 10 before now...maybe with a different memory. Seriously feels like it's been eons since AMD has challenged nvidia.

Yeah, I suppose that plays a major part in it. I still feel like they should have released Vega 10 before now...maybe with a different memory. Seriously feels like it's been eons since AMD has challenged nvidia.
    NV made the gp102 when they were SOL on a high end chip, i dont know enough about the amd platform to say if they could do that, but they have the shared memory interface now so running 2GB of HMB (same pin compatibility for the most part but lower clock) then linked a good chunk of gddr.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Start the countdown to Vega........................any rumors? This aint even gonna get Nvidia to drop prices is it...
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Guru

I've been pointing out for a while that AMD's silence on Vega speaks volumes. They couldn't shut up about how awesome Ryzen would be (and it was awesome for certain use cases) - but even that didn't quite live up to the hype. The fact that they literally just let Nvidia drop the 1080 Ti on them with no press release of their own points to Vega underperforming.

that power and clocks is looking about the same as my msi gaming x and it looks like they overclock the same.

I don't think Samsung's process is necessarily that bad. Seems to be fine for their exynos processors. The big difference imo is that Nvidia optimized Pascal to gain the most performance out of a small transistor footprint, so the power consumption is inherently going to be better than the equivalent GCN counterpart. Vega's architecture theoritically is supposed to fix a lot of GCN's inefficiencies (namely the fact that they have tons of brute compute power that doesn't translate well in most games).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

If by failed to live up to the hype you mean outperformed their design targets and for prices lower than most were expecting, sure.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think you can make a GPU compatible with GDDR5 and HBM2

I'm sure if they could release Vega they would. They gambled on HBM2 availability and lost.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    If by failed to live up to the hype you mean outperformed their design targets and for prices lower than most were expecting, sure.
    No, I meant explicitly what I said. It was awesome in some use cases, and failed to live up to the hype in others. I'm not going to waste time arguing with a troll.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    No, I meant explicitly what I said. It was awesome in some use cases, and failed to live up to the hype in others. I'm not going to waste time arguing with a troll.
    Your having built up unrealistic expectations beyond what AMD was claiming isn't anyone else's fault but your own, nor does it make me a troll to point that out.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I don't think Samsung's process is necessarily that bad. Seems to be fine for their exynos processors. The big difference imo is that Nvidia optimized Pascal to gain the most performance out of a small transistor footprint, so the power consumption is inherently going to be better than the equivalent GCN counterpart. Vega's architecture theoritically is supposed to fix a lot of GCN's inefficiencies (namely the fact that they have tons of brute compute power that doesn't translate well in most games).
    graphics cards dont actually run at the clock they tell you. nvidia runs all in shader clocks at 2x and amd runs some at 2x, some at 3x, and some at 4x. the samsung lithography looks like it wont let anything run over 4ghz without spiking the voltage. amd has poor clocking gpu and cpu using samsung and i think it will ever get fixed. it dose work well for low clocked things like the arm for phones or the low wattage zen parts, but getting clocks they dont seem to work for desktops.

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    I'm sure if they could release Vega they would. They gambled on HBM2 availability and lost.
    That's exactly what I mean. Sad turn of events it seems.

Xtreme Mentor
    This time AMD will have a very hard time because AMD released a very competitive card against AMD.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Everyone was unhappy with power throttling, and with cards that couldnt supply enough juice, and with overclocks.And with cooling.
    AMD gives them exactly what people were ing about. Power rises, as everyone should be aware it would.
    People again.
    Ive reread some rx480 launch and later reviews. They are overclocking up to 200mhz higher (from reference models) and 100mhz higher not reference models.Yes from time to time someone got a better rx480.
    But on average ~1370mhz for 480.
    And 580 does 1470 on average .
    And for the same price as 480.Lower than the launch price of 480.
    I mean , they could be A TAD lower in price to offset worse power consumption than the 1060. But theyre good cards, and mostly quiet.

Xtreme Guru
    graphics cards dont actually run at the clock they tell you. nvidia runs all in shader clocks at 2x and amd runs some at 2x, some at 3x, and some at 4x. the samsung lithography looks like it wont let anything run over 4ghz without spiking the voltage. amd has poor clocking gpu and cpu using samsung and i think it will ever get fixed. it dose work well for low clocked things like the arm for phones or the low wattage zen parts, but getting clocks they dont seem to work for desktops.
    Yeah but even when AMD built their chips on the same TSMC process as Nvidia they still had worse power consumption the past few generations. I'll give you that Samsung's process is optimized for low wattage chips, but I also think GCN is an inherently inefficient process (the massive spike in DX12 performance proves just how much optimization it needs).

.....}

Regards, Hans