Thread: [News] Vista off life support today

[News] Vista off life support today

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/43349-v...-support-today

Software king of the world Microsoft has finally pulled the plug on what must be its worst product ever.

Coming after the highly successful Windows XP, Microsoft Vista arrived in January 30, 2007 packed full of hype and hope, but turned out half-baked. Although the software ended up not being that bad, its first year of operations was blighted by poor press and crashes.

It arrived with a new and updated graphical user interface and visual style called Aero. Through Microsoft?s Trustworthy Computing initiative, the company had given a great deal of work towards making Vista more secure than its predecessors. Also, to make the OS work from home users, business users, and power users, Microsoft unveiled six editions of Windows Vista: Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

Vista had a high hardware and software demand when it was launched, and PCs of the day could not cope, leading to poor PC performance. The User Account Control (UAC) feature was panned by users over the number of authorisation prompts the OS pushed out to users.

Windows Vista also prohibited the copying of protected digital media, among other things. These issues caused the low adoption of the operating system.

While its predecessor, Windows XP, is still being used until today by at least 7.44 percent of users, Vista is now only used by 0.72 percent of users worldwide

Mainstream support for Windows Vista ended back in April 10, 2012. However, its extended support for the second service pack lasted for five more years.

From today, Microsoft will no longer offer hotfixes, security patches, or any sort of update to its users around the globe. Anyone using Windows Vista past the support date could leave the OS vulnerable to security risks and viruses that could harm the computer.

Internet Explorer 9 on Vista has also been discontinued and Microsoft will also cease providing technical support for computers running the OS.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Worse than Microsoft Bob?

I'd say ME was easily far worse than Vista. ME was trash and remained trash the entire time. Vista was fine after the kinks were worked out. But I was crazy and adopted it early, full blown 64 bit Vista, pre-SP1 even
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Windows Vista pretty much died when Windows 7 came out. Personally I hated Vista because of the reasons listed in the article and I didn't like how copying files on a local drive took a long time, even opening videos had to "buffer" which greatly annoyed me and I went back to XP, until 7 came out.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

win 10 ftw!!!

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I'd say ME was easily far worse than Vista. ME was trash and remained trash the entire time. Vista was fine after the kinks were worked out. But I was crazy and adopted it early, full blown 64 bit Vista, pre-SP1 even
    100% agree. My O/S path was Win 98 --> Win ME --> Win 98 --> XP -- > Vista SP1 -- > Win 7. ME had sooo many bugs I forgot how many times I had to reformat to get that O/S to work properly. Ended up going back to 98 until XP came out.

Oh and you were crazy for using Vista before SP1!

ME was the only OS that I had blue screen on me, on perfectly good hardware, during a reinstall (was somebody else's PC, not mine!)

I know, I was crazy (and still am ), but I got it free while at college, so why not give it a shot? Most of the stuff I had worked fine on it, and the few old programs that didn't I found alternatives to, so it worked out.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    WinME was pretty bad, but . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5teG6ou8mWU

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Vista was a PITA. I hated fixing folks systems with that rotten OS. Good ridence. Long live Win7/ubuntu dual boot!