Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [News] Nvidia Quietly Release Titan Xp - 30 SM's enabled

Xtreme Enthusiast

[News] Nvidia Quietly Release Titan Xp - 30 SM's enabled

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvi...102,34079.html

Nvidia quietly announced a new graphics card in the Titan lineup: the Nvidia Titan Xp. Few details about the card are currently available, but from the information we have, we can deduce that the Titan Xp carries the same GP102 GPU on which the Pascal-based Titan X and GeForce GTX 1080 Ti are based, but with all 30 SMs enabled.
    The graphics card comes with the same high boost block as the GTX 1080 Ti, punching in at a whopping 1,582MHz. The memory clock is boosted from 11 Gbps to 11.4 Gbps. Considering the jump in specs across the board, the GTX Titan Xp is certainly the new king of the hill when it comes to graphics performance, at least on paper, with 12 Tflops or raw performance.
    Another nail in AMD's coffin?
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Guru
    This doesn't make sense to me.

1) No, I don't think this affects AMD at all
    2) Wouldn't that canablize both Titan X and 1080 Ti sales?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Welp.

I think this is pretty much the last nail in the coffin for any chance a Volta based GPU is coming out in 2017.

With the 1080Ti in March and now Titan Xp in April this could be classified as the "Pascal refresh" etc. the rumor websites have been talking about for months.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me.

1) No, I don't think this affects AMD at all
    2) Wouldn't that canablize both Titan X and 1080 Ti sales?
    I think Titan X was obsolete with the TI. This won't affect TI sales as it's launched at the Titan's price of $1200.

Maybe not the last nail, but def a nail
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    I think Titan X was obsolete with the TI. This won't affect TI sales as it's launched at the Titan's price of $1200.

Maybe not the last nail, but def a nail
    Nah Titan X didn't affect AMD sales one bit. We're talking the top 1% of gamers actually have one. The lack of a 1080 competitor really hurt though.

I'm guessing the main advantage this will have over the 1080 Ti will be the double precision compute units. Typically the Ti is close in gaming, but way behind in machine learning. I can't see the Titan X remaining though; the Xp effectively kills its niche (unless if it's like $1500).

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Nah Titan X didn't affect AMD sales one bit. We're talking the top 1% of gamers actually have one. The lack of a 1080 competitor really hurt though.

I'm guessing the main advantage this will have over the 1080 Ti will be the double precision compute units. Typically the Ti is close in gaming, but way behind in machine learning. I can't see the Titan X remaining though; the Xp effectively kills its niche (unless if it's like $1500).
    Generally, no, it won't have much direct effect in that it won't detract buyers from, say a reasonably priced 580 (or 590) to a $1200 Titan Xp. However, generally the vendor with the performance crown does better in sales across the board. So instead of the 580, maybe a 1070 or 1080.

Also, having such a commanding lead over over your competition (unmatched, arguably from the 1070 on up) allows very favorable pricing schemes. The Xp may not sell like hot cakes, but each sale should give a nice profit to Nvidia.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

the ti killed the X so they clearly had this planned out.

Generally, no, it won't have much direct effect in that it won't detract buyers from, say a reasonably priced 580 (or 590) to a $1200 Titan Xp. However, generally the vendor with the performance crown does better in sales across the board. So instead of the 580, maybe a 1070 or 1080.

Also, having such a commanding lead over over your competition (unmatched, arguably from the 1070 on up) allows very favorable pricing schemes. The Xp may not sell like hot cakes, but each sale should give a nice profit to Nvidia.
    amd has had the fastest single card for like 8 years (including yesterday but maybe not today,) the problem with amd is that they push the dual gpu cards and they cannot away with limited runs like nvidia can.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the ti killed the X so they clearly had this planned out.

amd has had the fastest single card for like 8 years (including yesterday but maybe not today,) the problem with amd is that they push the dual gpu cards and they cannot away with limited runs like nvidia can.
    Dual GPU cards don't count. I think that segment is dead, dying, or just very small.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Dual GPU cards don't count. I think that segment is dead, dying, or just very small.
    when amd pushed faster large cards and NV had even more janky dual gpu cards it was all about those at the time, and when they both did it but amd edged them out it was about who could buy them even thought they shipped similar numbers. it comes down to NV having more fanboys and larger marketing since amd bought ati.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    when amd pushed faster large cards and NV had even more janky dual gpu cards it was all about those at the time, and when they both did it but amd edged them out it was about who could buy them even thought they shipped similar numbers. it comes down to NV having more fanboys and larger marketing since amd bought ati.
    Could be right. Nvidia does tend to have a bigger fan club. And there are def more factors than just the flagship, to include price, heat, power, overclocking, drivers, etc... That said, having three, maybe four cards that trounce the best AMD can offer isn't helping much. Even when Volta comes out, early estimates put it between the 1080 and 1080 TI.

I think AMD will survive here due to a: DX12 performance/drivers and b: HBM2 bandwidth should be able to give a sizable boost in 4k gaming. Hinging on HBM2 availability and price; volta should be just about enough. If they can't price competitively, I don't think they will do very well with this launch.

Just to be clear on the "nail in the coffin" comment; if AMD is able to do the un-imaginable and compete with the TI, its very unlikely they will compete with the Titan Xp. Before you mention price, I think Nvidia has a little more wiggle room in their pricing with the Pascal chips; they can most definately adjust the Titan Xp price to something a little more realistic. Basically, I feel this launch removes any doubt that Volta will ever be able to achieve the performance crown.
    Last edited by StAndrew; 04-06-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

i pity those who bought a Titan XP last year...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by StyM View Post
    i pity those who bought a Titan XP last year...
    I'd be royally pissed. That is at the TI launch. Nvidia better at least give them a huge discount or they may lose a lot of power users. I doubt many will buy Titan X 3.0 or any Titan cards from now on.

Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

I'd be royally pissed. That is at the TI launch. Nvidia better at least give them a huge discount or they may lose a lot of power users. I doubt many will buy Titan X 3.0 or any Titan cards from now on.
    Nah, most knew what they were getting into. Remember they've had similar performance of a 1080Ti for almost 8 months in advance. That's the thing with a Titan, you are paying for that performance advantage early on. And, hey, if you got the money why not?
    Last edited by EternityZX9; 04-06-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    This makes me think VEGA has a performance that concerns nvidia. I was thinking that nvidia released 1080ti with more performance than they were planning because of VEGA which made Titan X pascal totally unnecessary. And this is an updated Titan X pascal under these conditions. While I was loosing my hopes on VEGA this again make me wonder.

EDIT: And about Volta I think again how VEGA will perform will going to effect when Volta is going to be released.
    Last edited by kromosto; 04-06-2017 at 08:43 PM.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    Nah, most knew what they were getting into. Remember they've had similar performance of a 1080Ti for almost 8 months in advance. That's the thing with a Titan, you are paying for that performance advantage early on. And, hey, if you got the money why not?
    I disagree. Sure, they knew something would eventually come out that would outperform it but I doubt they expect it to be a cheaper Pascal chip. When you fork out $1,200 for a Titan, you aren't just buying the fastest card in the world, I believe you're buying a promise from Nvidia that this will be the fastest of the current architecture.

And here’s what would really get me upset; if you were one of the unlucky Titan XP 1.0 owners; you basically bought a TI for $1,200. Now that everyone bought the fake Titan Xp, Nvidia releases the real one...
    Last edited by StAndrew; 04-07-2017 at 04:39 AM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Guru
    I tend to agree with this thought process. Everyone knows a Ti variant will eventually come out that will be roughly equal in gaming (or sometimes even faster).

You buy a Titan because it's the best card on the planet, and you are too impatient to wait for a cheaper equivalent.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    This makes me think VEGA has a performance that concerns nvidia. I was thinking that nvidia released 1080ti with more performance than they were planning because of VEGA which made Titan X pascal totally unnecessary. And this is an updated Titan X pascal under these conditions. While I was loosing my hopes on VEGA this again make me wonder.

EDIT: And about Volta I think again how VEGA will perform will going to effect when Volta is going to be released.
    Yeah I think this release is a reaction to VEGA. Hopefully it will have some teeth to it and match say a 1080 or Titan Pascal(original) for competition's sake.

Volta on the other hand with these releases I have a hard time seeing it come out until November 2017 at the earliest (which is still not very likely) or Q1 2018.

So really no point in buying a Titan Xp right now because in 6 to 10 months Volta will be here! (unless of course that money is burning a hole in your pocket hehe)

One of my concerns is the new price point of the Titans. Nvidia priced the Titan X (2016) at $1200 instead of $1000 for two reasons, because of a lack of competition in the market, and due to the early release. If Nvidia had launched that Titan at $1000, it was ~35% faster than the 1080 and they would have had to worry about the Titan cannibalizing some of the GTX1080 sales at it's $700 price point. In the current market with the 1080Ti at $700, there is substantially less of a performance gap between the highest end non-Titan card and the Titan, so there is much less to justify that $500 premium.

If they had never launched the 2016 Titan X, I wonder if the new one would still have a $1200 price point, or if it would have stuck to $1000, since a $300 premium is a more reasonable(admittedly still high) premium for the advantages the new Titan brings to the table. If they'd priced it at $1000 in the current market though, it would've been an even bigger blow to those who bought the only Titan priced at $1200.

If AMD has a decent competitor for the Volta Titan when that card is released, I wonder if Nvidia will walk back the price to $1000 again, or if they'll keep it at $1200 for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by niobium615 View Post
    One of my concerns is the new price point of the Titans.... I wonder if Nvidia will walk back the price to $1000 again, or if they'll keep it at $1200 for the same reasons I mentioned above.
    lol, nvidia is a business - they will charge whatever they think they can get a way with. I remember when people were upset about paying $500 for a GPU not too long ago - amazing thing is that some how nvidia got people to praise them for "such value" by offering a $700 1080Ti - crazy isn't it? Until AMD is really competitive at the high end that's the world we live in.

waiting for VEGA to be priced at 499$, come on AMD disrupt the market again...

taken from OCN
    Last edited by StyM; 04-07-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow. That thrashes my three 780 TI's.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Guru
    lol, nvidia is a business - they will charge whatever they think they can get a way with. I remember when people were upset about paying $500 for a GPU not too long ago - amazing thing is that some how nvidia got people to praise them for "such value" by offering a $700 1080Ti - crazy isn't it? Until AMD is really competitive at the high end that's the world we live in.
    Pretty much. Capitalism dictates companies will price products at an optimal rate that maximizes Margin x Volume. Clearly they have no issue with demand, so price goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by StyM View Post
    waiting for VEGA to be priced at 499$, come on AMD disrupt the market again...
    I think $500 is reasonable, but Vega is honestly getting a bit late if it only offers >1080 performance. I really think they messed up by going all in on HBM2.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    In other news, Microsoft is calling project scorpio the Xbone(tm)
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast