Thread: [News] Apple to start designing its own GPUs

[News] Apple to start designing its own GPUs

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...-technologies/

Over the years, while Apple has been designing its own processors for its iOS devices, the company has heavily relied on third-party graphics technology. Right now, Apple is partnered up with Imagination technologies for all of its iOS GPU needs, which means Imagination gets a cut from every iPhone and iPad sold. However, today, Apple announced that it will no longer be using Imagination Technologies in the future and will instead work on its own GPU tech.

The deal with Apple represents a huge part of Imagination Technologies? business and immediately following this news, Imagination?s stock value dropped by 70 percent. Apple is reported as saying that it will stop using Imagination Technologies in the next two years.
    Once Apple stops using Imagination Technologies? own GPU designs, Apple will begin implementing its own in-house GPUs. However, as 9to5Mac points out, Imagination doesn?t believe that Apple will be able to make a GPU of its own without infringing on at least one of its patents:

?Apple has not presented any evidence to substantiate its assertion that it will no longer require Imagination?s technology, without violating Imagination?s patents, intellectual property and confidential information. This evidence has been requested by Imagination but Apple has declined to provide it. Further, Imagination believes that it would be extremely challenging to design a brand new GPU architecture from basics without infringing its intellectual property rights, accordingly Imagination does not accept Apple?s assertions.?

Xtreme Guru
    I was going to make fun of this at first, but then remembered that Apple's CPUs do really well in most benchmarks. They seem to have a grasp on the idea that adding cores for the sake of cores is just useless, and that the transistor count is better served towards wider throughput compute engines.

Somewhat curious to see how this turns out. Nvidia has proven that you can get extremely high efficiency out of GPUs - but it costs a lot of R&D to do it properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Steal the design/tech, spend $$$$ improving said tech to meet apples needs/code and then spend what amounts to pocket change to apple defending a patents case

Doing business the fruity way !!
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Mentor
    That is very understandable. If you have lots cash you have make something with it says the man in BA.
    Last edited by kromosto; 04-03-2017 at 11:01 PM.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.