Thread: Sandberg Hailstorm Mech

Xtreme Reviewer

Sandberg Hailstorm Mech

Introduction

There are tons of different types of keyboards out there. Some are good for home use, some for quiet offices, and other for gaming.I get to play with some of the nicest sounding keyboards around. Today I take a look at the new Sandberg Hailstorm Mech Mechanical Gaming Keyboard . This keyboard comes fully equipped with Blue MX Switches. Now that is why I said nicest sounding, because if your a gamer like me you love them clicky keys. This Mechanical keyboard is a full 104 keys. It has several color patterns and it also had several preset gaming setup profiles saved on it. I will get more into this later.I love the tactile feedback of mechanical switches, so let's see what this one has to offer.

Specifications.

Packaging & Contents

This Sandberg Hailstorm Mech arrived in very good time and plainly boxed. The box is fuss free recycling packaging which is always a positive for me, but more importantly the keyboard is very well packed and protected.It is nicely decorated plenty with graphics,as well as a nice illustration of the LED backlighting.

Around the back of the box are the specifications and their international translations.

Looking behind the door, on the front of the box, shows a window with a full view of the keyboard.

The Hailstorm Mech comes with a small user manual and Software CD.

A Closer Look

This keyboard is HEAVY and feels well-made.The keyboard is built on a heavy metal plate,ensuring complete precision and extreme durability!

The keyboard is equipped with a stylish rubber coated wrist support, so it is comfortable to use, and simultaneously protects your wrists during hours of gaming.

At the top of the metal panel is another raised bit of plastic, which this times plays host to Sandberg branding, which lights up blue when the keyboard is on.

The keyboard connects via USB, and is compatible with PC or Mac.Love the high cord its a nice consistency not stuff and unmovable its a very nice quality plastic.The cable is non-braided cable. It is about 6 feet long like most cords, so you can pretty much place it anywhere.

The Hailstorm Mech 104-Key wired mechanical gaming keyboard is mostly black, with green LEDs on either side of the keyboard, and six rows of different LEDS illuminating the keys. It features blue mechanical switches, for a very click-y sound and tactile feedback while typing.

On the right side of the keyboard, you have various function key options for different lighting.There are also multimedia keys along the top row that are activated by using the Fn key.

The surface does not pick up finger prints which is a HUGE plus for me. The keys and switches seem to be built to last! They are blue switches so they are a bit loud, so if you don't like loud keyboards I would look elsewhere but for me it's a plus point because I love the sound of them when I play game with it.

Its removable key caps facilitate easy cleaning and key caps replacement.

The design is what I call "loud and funky". It's a pretty edgy looking keyboard, that has some green LEDs along the side and top of the keyboard. These stay on constantly, which I found a bit annoying at night when I shut off the computer or left it in standby mode. The LEDs cannot be dimmed or shut off.

The bottom of the keyboard is mostly flat but does have a textured finish.

The holes are all for screws and not weep holes, but at each of the corners is a small rubber foot to keep the Strafe from moving.

While we would have liked rubber at the ends of the flip out feet in the back, we like that Sandberg opted for side flip out feet so that bumping the keyboard will not accidentally collapse them.

Performance

If you haven’t use mechanical keyboard before, don’t return this one when you receive it and you find it too clicky or strange to use. Give yourself some time to get use to it, and when you do that, you would not imagine to use another keyboard ever again.Love the hand-rest feature very comfortable especially with the upper keyboard stands which put the keyboard at the opium angle for comfort and quality of use!The letters on this keyboard are large and very easy to read! Which is not always the case with gaming keyboards!

First feature of this model that is worth purchasing is plug and play feature. You don’t have to spend time updating and installing software, you just need to connect keyboard with computer and you can start playing games immediately.

It has nine different modes for lights, and if you find lights too bright you can lower it in just a few clicks. Keycap will never fade away.

I love the clicky sound of this keyboard(somes dont), and the LED backlighting is awesome. There are several different LED modes available, and one mode allows you to customize the keys that are LED backlit. I personally find most of the modes to be a distraction when I'm gaming, so I usually just have the LED's turned on solid.

Your can set your customized presets by pressing FN 9 or 0 then press FN, home then whatever buttons that are needed for your game then you push FN end. There are also 9 different lighting macros setting that are very cool and flashy! Love the green ascent lighting on the top and sides, vibrant but not over the top. They are not adjustable but they do not need to be, they are a nice consistence. Also the brightness for the key lighting can be adjusted very easily dimed or even turned off.

Love the blue Mechanical keys for typing! It is designed with blue switch and it has keys that send distinctive tactile feedback to your finger tips in very pronounced tap. It give your such a nice feel when typing, very comfortable! Love the nice thick rubber stopper that prevent them slipping all over while playing!

The software allows you to create different macros and create your own color profiles if you wish.It’s really easy to use and the interface is nice and clean.

Final Thoughts

One of the first things I noticed about this keyboard was the quality of it. I have dealt with many non gaming keyboards through work and I could instantly tell that i was dealing with a keyboard on a different level. The first thing I noticed when picking it up was the sturdiness of it. It had some weight to it so that you knew it would be durable.Dimensions of this model are 9.8 inches by 26 inches by 2.2 inches, and you can connect it with your computer via USB port.Footprint is a bit larger for average users.Aside from the build quality were the features of it. There are many different modes for the back lighting of the keyboard ranging from just a select few keys being lit to the whole keyboard being lit to animated lights. There are a couple shortcut keys you could use for different game settings which was a useful shortcut.It features 104 keys and has the power to allow for simultaneous multiple key operations with no occurring conflict.The making of its keys and frame involves the use of high-grade ABS and metal to emerge finally with a sturdy and robust keyboard. There was no ghosting or lag whenever I typed quickly, and I loved the clicky feedback of the blue switches. When I tried it on my Windows PC to play games, it has fantastic response times, and pressing multiple keys at once was not a problem. It’s a really nice keyboard for anyone who likes tactile feedback and responsiveness. The only thing that was missing is a few USB ports to connect a mouse or other peripherals. Its removable key caps facilitate easy cleaning and key caps replacement. With this keyboard, you can easily type in the dark thanks to the included nine backlight color effects. Also featured in the making of its frame are wrist and palm rests aimed at preventing fatigue throughout your gaming sessions. It’s compatible with all Windows OS versions as well as the Mac OS.

This is a Great Keyboard for someone looking for the "gamer aesthetic" but who doesn't want to spend a ton on a genuine Cherry MX board. For the price($118.99), I’d recommend it for any gamer or typist who is looking for a nice keyboard with fun features.With many different mechanical keyboards coming on the market lately I think the Sandberg mechanical gaming keyboard is worth the asking price.This Hailstorm Mech mechanical keyboard is very high quality not only in Design but in construction!It gets several thing correct, from the MX Blue switches to the RGB background.No, this is not a keyboard from futuristic movie, this keyboard exists!

Last edited by testman78; 03-30-2017 at 01:11 PM.