Thread: [News] Ashes of the Singularity gets AMD Ryzen performance update

[News] Ashes of the Singularity gets AMD Ryzen performance update

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/10407...rmance-update/

With the launch of the AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs and subsequent flood of reviews there did indeed seem to be something amiss with regards to gaming performance. Oddly, things were even more skewed in 1080p gaming, as some other reviews sites focussed upon. These results were surprising given the 8C/16T AMD Ryzen chips' storming success in many productivity applications and benchmarks.
    As the 'poor gaming performance' whispers became a virtual cacophony on the internet, AMD quickly responded with a statement. In summary, the statement said that until now 1080p gaming on PCs had been quite heavily optimised for Intel Core CPUs. Thus to improve things going forward AMD was seeding hundreds of Ryzen dev kits, and already developers like Oxide Games and Creative Assembly had seen "significant performance uplifts".

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thats all very good, thing is, nobody plays ashes, people only benchmark it.
    There has been an update to dota 2 also, but i havent seen the numbers, that would be more interesting.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Another article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...ion,34021.html

I think a big take away here is how quick a fix came out. Unless this effort started before Ryzen launch, it's good to see that optimizing a game engine for Ryzen isn't too difficult. And doesn't adversly affecty Intel. Depending on how well AMD's architecture gets adopted, I think we will see much more of this.

Also bear in mind, this is on stock clocks and 2933 memory.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

I have 1700 at 4ghz stable with 3600 ram 14-14-14-36 1t
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Another article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...ion,34021.html

I think a big take away here is how quick a fix came out. Unless this effort started before Ryzen launch, it's good to see that optimizing a game engine for Ryzen isn't too difficult. And doesn't adversly affecty Intel. Depending on how well AMD's architecture gets adopted, I think we will see much more of this.

Also bear in mind, this is on stock clocks and 2933 memory.
    My guess is it probably just is smarter about how it schedules threads and makes cache requests. Ryzen is fundamentally different than Bulldozer in both those areas - but very similar to Intel. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually based this update off their Intel optimizations, and not BD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    My guess is it probably just is smarter about how it schedules threads and makes cache requests. Ryzen is fundamentally different than Bulldozer in both those areas - but very similar to Intel. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually based this update off their Intel optimizations, and not BD.
    I would think it was different from both. If I've been following discussion closely, scheduling should treat each CCX as a separate CPU to avoid the cache thrashing issue, no? From what I understand, Intel has a shared cache across all cores to avoid this issue.

Besides, AMD has already said there was nothing wrong with the scheduling
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Good news! Dota 2 had a healthy increase too after the Ryzen patch. AMD is so back.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    Good news! Dota 2 had a healthy increase too after the Ryzen patch. AMD is so back.
    Well, not quite. Even if a few games are better that doesn't mean the sales will go up.

AMD needs to launch a Ryzen refresh once all the issues are sorted out. Doesn't really matter if they just slightly increase the clocks and slightly increase AVX IPC; point is they need the publicity of the improved performance to actually drive in customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Sales are doing just fine actually
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    With the costs of these processors, increase memory and overall performance with new bios releases, plus game optimizations, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a measureable shift in AMD/Intel market shares by the end of the year, albeit a small one.

I'm actually more concerned with AMD's profit per sale than just gross sales. They can really use some capital for their R&D to macth Intel AND Nvidia.
    Last edited by StAndrew; 03-30-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    Well, starving masses got their "fix". But how long will it last.
    After initial batches.Constant stream of sales will be harder to get.
    AMD needs to adress the issues, and regain some good publicity, becasue now, in many places they are getting thrashed for their game performance (although not always fairly).
    OR, get some more enthusiasts on their side.But that would require perhaps admitting to scheduler problems and getting the fix out, better support for older windows and linux, option to disable their security processor etc.But they dont seem to keen on that.
    This x390/x399 could also be a big sales boost for some time if done properly.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    AMD needs to launch a Ryzen refresh once all the issues are sorted out.
    All the issues?
    Ryzen is now better performance per $ and better performance per watt in most of the benchmarks, even performance leader in some. Bios updates are coming quickly, game patches bring big improvements, I don't think we need a refresh and I don't see a lot of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    All the issues?
    Ryzen is now better performance per $ and better performance per watt in most of the benchmarks, even performance leader in some. Bios updates are coming quickly, game patches bring big improvements, I don't think we need a refresh and I don't see a lot of issues.
    so far the only problem that is still there is samsung 14nm being hot garbage with giant gates and not actually being 14nm pitch. matching intels IPC is great, but when intel is running lower power at 4ghz all cores and even doing 4.2-4.4 at the same power with some room left over for liquid cooling doing more clocks it just does not work out for gaming.

patches that remove support for more threads that separate ccx are great, but what happens to quads or hex when this sees a ryzen and moves everything to 0-7 or 8-15 even cores. they need windows to id them as different numa or get a new mode in the scheduler so thees patches are not needed.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 03-30-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    so far the only problem that is still there is samsung 14nm being hot garbage with giant gates and not actually being 14nm pitch. matching intels IPC is great, but when intel is running lower power at 4ghz all cores and even doing 4.2-4.4 at the same power with some room left over for liquid cooling doing more clocks it just does not work out for gaming.

patches that remove support for more threads that separate ccx are great, but what happens to quads or hex when this sees a ryzen and moves everything to 0-7 or 8-15 even cores. they need windows to id them as different numa or get a new mode in the scheduler so thees patches are not needed.
    Im pretty confident that ryzen optimized games isnt just fixing scheduling in game.That could yield 5-10% , not the gains we see in ashes.
    LEGIT REVIEWS ASHES ARTICLE

Also this.Its some kinda tool to optimize for zen/amd gpus.
    Thing is, AMD REALLY needs to have a showcase of this in something other than this ashes piece of crap.
    And there are games in which zens are getting destroyed, i mean there are results out there showing 60% deficit in fps (worst case scenario with 2133 ram of course).
    And as far as the glofo, well, we are stuck with it for atleast a year. So clocks wont improve much.And AMD probably has some deal with them for being glofo exclusive.Only way for now seems to be working closely with devs on optimizations.

UPDATE on the ashes thing
    Twitter 1
    Twitter 2
    Last edited by vario; 03-31-2017 at 02:20 AM.