Thread: Microsoft sued for millions over Windows 10 upgrades

Microsoft sued for millions over Windows 10 upgrades

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...a-damaged-pcs/

Unhappy Windows 10 users in Illinois are taking Microsoft to court, claiming that problems caused by the Windows 10 upgrade show that it was negligently designed, that Microsoft fraudulently failed to disclose its defects, and that the upgrade is unfit for purpose.

In a break from tradition, Microsoft offered Windows 10 as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and 8.1 for the first year of its release. This unusual offer was matched with a set of increasingly aggressive promotions within Windows itself. In the early days of the upgrade offer, there were even some users reporting that it installed automatically.

Three plaintiffs claim specific harm was caused by the operating system. Stephanie Watson claims that Windows 10 installed without her choosing to accept it. The upgrade destroyed some data, caused such harm that Geek Squad was unable to fully repair the machine, and forced the purchase of a new system.The suit claims that "many" consumers have had their hard drives fail because of the Windows 10 installation, and that the operating system does not check "whether or not the hard drive can withstand the stress of the Windows 10 installation."

Robert Saiger agreed to the upgrade. However, this caused Saiger's existing software to cease functioning, and it also caused some data loss. Saiger incurred costs reconstructing and replacing the lost data. The suit claims that the Windows 10 upgrader does not bother to check for hardware or software compatibility prior to installation.

Howard Goldberg eventually accepted the upgrade after declining it for six months. The download and installation failed three times, with Goldberg claiming that this "damaged" his PC, causing data loss, loss of revenue, and incurring costs to repair the system.

Similar problems were apparently so endemic and widespread that they show Windows 10 breached its implied warranty of merchantability according to the suit. The suit claims that there should have been greater warnings that it may damage PCs or data and that it should have told consumers to make backups. It further alleges that Microsoft was negligent; that the company failed to "exercise reasonable care in designing, formulating, and manufacturing" the upgrade, and moreover that Microsoft knew Windows 10 to have "potentially harmful propensities."

Per the suit, there are hundreds or thousands of others who have suffered similar problems and incurred similar costs. It proposes a class of harmed users?Americans (that installed the Windows 10 upgrade on any computer equipped with Windows 7 "or earlier operating systems," though no earlier operating system offered the upgrade) who suffered loss of data or damage to software or hardware within 30 days of the installation.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    A hard drive that can't withstand the installation of Windows ?

What the fluck did I just read ?
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post

you would be surprised how many people have drives that should have failed but somehow keep going. i have seen people with the click of death and windows wanting to run then fail check disk every time it boots, but some how IE still works sort of.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    No matter what/if found guilty the penalty will be just a slap on the wrist/insignificant fine

I have a family member who's personal 'pooter that is also used for work from home (director of a treasury dept) was made inoperable TWICE because of W10 being installed without consent, both times wiping confidential apps that required two separate re-installs that took two days because the tech company was snowed under with dozens of other users in similar circumstances, some ppl/companies really made a killing fixing ms intrusions
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    No matter what/if found guilty the penalty will be just a slap on the wrist/insignificant fine

I have a family member who's personal 'pooter that is also used for work from home (director of a treasury dept) was made inoperable TWICE because of W10 being installed without consent, both times wiping confidential apps that required two separate re-installs that took two days because the tech company was snowed under with dozens of other users in similar circumstances, some ppl/companies really made a killing fixing ms intrusions
    i was servicing thees and i never saw one that was updated accidentally that was running pro. if you had pro and wanted to run the update it even did not let you if you had unknown apps or incomparable apps. if you were doing work on one with home it was your own fault if you had home version related issues. that said, it was ty for them to do it this way, but if you look at 8 to 8.1 it was really ty making it hard to update.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Addict
    ^ OEM version of W7 pro with gubmint approved and mandated apps
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtremely Retired OC'er

Some hard drive can warm up to too hot, and then died by overtemp

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolasz View Post
    Some hard drive can warm up to too hot, and then died by overtemp
    Unless you barely use your PC, I doubt windows update will be the first thing to strain your HDD to death.

Unless in a laptop with a dead CPU fan, I have doubts on how you can achieve a killing temp for the HDD.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Unless you barely use your PC, I doubt windows update will be the first thing to strain your HDD to death.

Unless in a laptop with a dead CPU fan, I have doubts on how you can achieve a killing temp for the HDD.
    old drives like the hit an unrecoverable bad sector and damage the heads when they dont skip the bad sector. people who dont know how to take care of a computer will have a clicking drive that still works then blame whatever ran last and killed it.