Thread: [News] AMD says that RX Vega is "just around the corner"

[News] AMD says that RX Vega is "just around the corner"

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/...around-corner/

AMD presented a 'Tech Summit' last week in Beijing, China. As is sometimes the case, the amount of detail and subjects covered varied to what we have heard in earlier presentations. This was especially true with regards to the upcoming Radeon RX Vega.

As VideoCardz reports, AMD CEO Dr Lisa Su talked about Ryzen 5, and there were various tech demos but most of the new stuff at we are covering in the news today came from a segment of the presentation by Scott Herkelman, co-founder of BFG-Tech, former general GeForce manager at Nvidia, and currently a VP at AMD.
    The biggest takeaway from China (sorry) was Herkelman's revelation that Vega would be important to AMD's laptop plans. As AMD's 14nm Vega is compact and efficient it can be leveraged in laptops, said the VP. However, detail wasn't specific enough to determine whether Vega would come to laptops as a discrete graphics chip, in a new APU design, or via both of those routes. Whatever the way to the portable market, Vega will facilitate OEM partner creation of "thinner and lighter notebooks, that still pack that punch you need to drive virtual reality or the latest and greatest AAA games." That sounds rather attractive.

Xtreme Guru
    *shrug*

I honestly don't think Vega will be that impressive. I had high hopes for Ryzen because AMD themselves were publishing selective benchmarks, and there was a massive volume of leaks. Those turned out to be mostly true, and Ryzen can be a big winner in the right circumstances. We're getting crickets on Vega's performance.

It'll probably beat the 1080 - but can it even be in the same breadth of the Ti, and at what price?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Mentor
    I will be happy if it can beat 1080. Of course mine is just guesses by my feelings and I think vega will perform very similar to 1080 but nobody will say it is as good as 1080.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    *shrug*

I honestly don't think Vega will be that impressive. I had high hopes for Ryzen because AMD themselves were publishing selective benchmarks, and there was a massive volume of leaks. Those turned out to be mostly true, and Ryzen can be a big winner in the right circumstances. We're getting crickets on Vega's performance.

It'll probably beat the 1080 - but can it even be in the same breadth of the Ti, and at what price?
    As much as holding the performance crown is important, I think AMD can come away with a win on price/performance... If they can stay within 10% of the TI (which is a very reasonable expectation), I think that's acceptable.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think Vega can beat GTX1080.
    And power efficiency will be 30% worse.

My take: ditch GCN.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    As much as holding the performance crown is important, I think AMD can come away with a win on price/performance... If they can stay within 10% of the TI (which is a very reasonable expectation), I think that's acceptable.
    So I actually don't think within 10% of Ti is reasonable expectation. If it was much faster than the 1080, we'd have already seen some sort of benchmark showing that off. I'm sure it'll be a good value card - I just do not have any hope it'll be competitive at the top level based off that horrible GDC presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by qcmadness View Post
    I don't think Vega can beat GTX1080.
    And power efficiency will be 30% worse.

My take: ditch GCN.
    They did.... Have you not seen the new architecture nor their 2x power efficiency claims?

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Every month for the last I don't know how long, it's been round the corner. Yawntastic vaporware cards. I didn't know there could be a paperlaunch of a paper paperlaunch, riding on a paper airplane that's thrown around every tech show or press conference, but somehow AMD is getting away with it!

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Guru
    Well, I think it's more along the lines of them completely underestimating the ramp up time of HBM2. But regardless, this isn't a great look.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So I actually don't think within 10% of Ti is reasonable expectation. If it was much faster than the 1080, we'd have already seen some sort of benchmark showing that off. I'm sure it'll be a good value card - I just do not have any hope it'll be competitive at the top level based off that horrible GDC presentation.
    I don't think 10% is out of their reach. Well, maybe. With the 480 being rehashed into the 580, the gap between the 580 and 590 probably won't be substantial unless they plan a 585 intermediate card or 595 flagship card? At least AMD knows the bar they need to reach; hopefully they find a way to push clock speeds to make up the performance disparity. But I have a feeling they were ready for this. Titan X P has been out for a while; one would hope they didn't just settle for beating the 1080 and actually attempted to match or at least to come close to the Titan. If they did attempt, and were successful, then AMD should be in a ok positioning.

Now one would argue that Volta is right around the corner and AMD's Vega is a generation behind but I have a feeling Volta is more delayed than we think. I have a feeling the 1080TI was originally supposed to be positioned between the 1080 and Titan X P but due to possible delays on the Volta architecture (or 12nm process), Nvidia realized the TI was going to be their flagship card for a while and decided to push it even further than the Titan to insure Vega doesn't take the performance crown before Volta is released.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast

They did.... Have you not seen the new architecture nor their 2x power efficiency claims?
    Well, in reality AMD rarely has single chip TOP DOG card, and it doesnt matter much, what AMD needs is widespread availability of good mid to high end product, and its that part thats been missing for over a year now.Vega could be just that, and just like always, some 2xvega card few months later that WILL be faster than the 1080ti.We also had one leak, this compute from sisoft sandra.
    My money is on vega being somewhat on par with 1080, depending on the workload slightly faster or slower, in games.In compute it may be a lot better.
    Theres one thing however which worries me, amd may have went nvidia route with not optimizing drivers for older cards route to "force" the switch.Mass effect andromeda benchmarks show it, where even fury x ends up slower than the 480 even tho 480 in itself isnt particurarly fast in it.
    If thats the case, thats one way less reason to buy AMD cards, until now it was, you buy a card with some problems, but later on they are fixed, and support is great, but a mid range product beating TOP DOG product, and even 390X , i dont buy it unless they just didnt do the work for the older cards.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Every month for the last I don't know how long, it's been round the corner. Yawntastic vaporware cards. I didn't know there could be a paperlaunch of a paper paperlaunch, riding on a paper airplane that's thrown around every tech show or press conference, but somehow AMD is getting away with it!
    i would bet that the part has been done since before the 480 and they skipped it, but they went all retarded and full on HBM2 before preproduction even started they cannot sell them since they could not afford to or even get enough test run HBM2 to launch the card. if they shipped it right now with samsung's low clocked non bulk stuff they would be sending out at a minimum of $1600 in whole sale HBM2 for an 8GB card.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 03-27-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i would bet that the part has been done since before the 480 and they skipped it, but they went all retarded and full on HBM2 before preproduction even started they cannot sell them since they could not afford to or even get enough test run HBM2 to launch the card. if they shipped it right now with samsung's low clocked non bulk stuff they would be sending out at a minimum of $1600 in whole sale HBM2 for an 8GB card.
    I think you're spot on. Will we ever hear the full story I wonder.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I think you're spot on. Will we ever hear the full story I wonder.
    the worst part is that since it only supports 2 stacks they could not bring it back to hbm1 since they could only put 2GB of ram on it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

I don't doubt the cards are done, but distribution is likely limited to the enterprise side for fun&games. I suspect Fiji is in surprising demand for 'Radeon Instinct boards' and that the culls go to desktop (hence, the endless sale of R9 Fury Xs for $255US before rebates... )

I also don't doubt that desktop Vega will be in short supply, and that AMD sees big money to be made with the Radeon Instinct MI25s. In a sense they are competing with themselves, too. It's no secret that AMD was planning an interposer / high-bandwidth memory SoC'

It would appear that AMD is positioned to 'maximize its investment' so-to-speak -- and expand into mobile Soc, deep learning, SFF, even an ITX 'Project Quantum'

nVidia will likely be 'constrained' (Is that fair?) in the initial market, and AMD will explore (exploit?) every option from data-cemter to ARM.

any way you look at it NV and amd cannot really ship parts until bulk HBM2 goes into production. we are already delayed 2 years and it looks like it happen again since samsung has not added it for sale (could be reserved) and hynx has not said anything. they both were supposed to ship bulk by the beginning of june but we are not even hearing things about samples.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    any way you look at it NV and amd cannot really ship parts until bulk HBM2 goes into production. we are already delayed 2 years and it looks like it happen again since samsung has not added it for sale (could be reserved) and hynx has not said anything. they both were supposed to ship bulk by the beginning of june but we are not even hearing things about samples.
    I thought mass production kicked up in january
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9969/j...-specification
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    I thought mass production kicked up in january
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9969/j...-specification
    you have to spin out 1-2 test batches since the release candidate test had low yields and did not meet speed expectations (that is why micron bailed.) i know samsung is shipping some small batch low bin stuff that does not meet speed and it is around $200 a GB (or $800 a stack.) there was supposed to be a full speed run that would ship in march but it looks like that missed or pre sold, and if this one is good then they should be able to ship bulk by june.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Citation needed.
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Guru

.....}

Regards, Hans