Thread: [News/Rumor] The first sign of Kaby Lake X: the Intel Core i7-7740K

[News/Rumor] The first sign of Kaby Lake X: the Intel Core i7-7740K

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/56850/...40k/index.html

Intel is going to have a hard time on its hands with this current rumor of the purported Core i7-7740K processor, a new CPU based on the Kaby Lake X architecture - on the HEDT platform.

The new Core i7-7740K won't be a slight bump on the current Kaby Lake (non-X) processor is a 4C/8T offering on the LGA 1151 socket, while the Core i7-7740K is on the LGA 2066 socket powered by the X299 chipset. The X299 chipset will be ready for the high-end Core i7-7740K, which will rock 4C/8T of Kaby Lake X at 4.3/4.5GHz for base/boost clocks.

But, the new Core i7-7740K will not include an integrated GPU for on-board graphics, like the 7700K does now - and will bump the TDP up to 112W, from 91W on 7700K. 20 more watts, for the same Turbo Boost clock of 4.5GHz, and 4C/8T - without integrated graphics, hmm.

Will people think the 7740K is a slightly faster 7700K, even though its a completely different architecture and motherboard? Confusing naming here if the rumors turn out to be true... maybe Intel needs to introduce a new family of CPUs between its current Core and Xeon lines, to deal with the multi-threaded CPU threat from AMD with Ryzen.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I am not sure how the 7740k will really work out for Intel. Why the extra TDP? The expanded memory controller?

Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    I am not sure how the 7740k will really work out for Intel. Why the extra TDP? The expanded memory controller?
    the new socket has to have the higher TDP since that socket uses TDP as TDP but the consumer sockets use something closer to ACP as TDP. this is intended for workstations that will use JDEC ram (so quad channel does matter) or vtx/vtd and need to have a reliable high clocked cpu since they do not currently have one. the K lets them use turbo at the same speed for all cores without technically overclocking since intel guarantees K edition can run all cores at the max turbo multi if you have cooling.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the new socket has to have the higher TDP since that socket uses TDP as TDP but the consumer sockets use something closer to ACP as TDP. this is intended for workstations that will use JDEC ram (so quad channel does matter) or vtx/vtd and need to have a reliable high clocked cpu since they do not currently have one. the K lets them use turbo at the same speed for all cores without technically overclocking since intel guarantees K edition can run all cores at the max turbo multi if you have cooling.
    Ah, different TDP standards. That makes sense.

Wait does Intel still disable VT-d on mainstream k CPUs? Hmm. ARK says that the i7-7700k supports VT-x and VT-d . . .

Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    Ah, different TDP standards. That makes sense.

Wait does Intel still disable VT-d on mainstream k CPUs? Hmm. ARK says that the i7-7700k supports VT-x and VT-d . . .
    they get disabled when you overclock, and i do not know why since the workstation socket does not do that.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Mentor
    Intel is trying to make a new single core performance king with a reasonable price (my guess) to counter 4c8t ryzens for price/performance and low value market and of course counter all ryzens on gaming. I was waiting intel to move its single core performance king from 4c8t to 6c12t. IMO this means two things. One intel dont have a 6c12t solution that can have high enough clocks to get single core crown or intel feels safe about ryzen.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    Intel is trying to make a new single core performance king with a reasonable price (my guess) to counter 4c8t ryzens for price/performance and low value market and of course counter all ryzens on gaming. I was waiting intel to move its single core performance king from 4c8t to 6c12t. IMO this means two things. One intel dont have a 6c12t solution that can have high enough clocks to get single core crown or intel feels safe about ryzen.
    they are also having for the first time in like 5 years native quad core workstation parts to go with gpgpu systems. i would not look that far into it.