Thread: Star Citizen to go Vulkan exclusively

Star Citizen to go Vulkan exclusively

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sta...clusively.html

The Star Citizen developer has confirmed that the game will be ditching support for DirectX entirely going forward in favour of the Vulkan graphics renderer API.

DirectX 12 and Vulkan are low-level graphics APIs that, if used correctly, can utilize the GPU much more effectively than previous iterations of DirectX and OpenGL. This leads to better frame rates and lower CPU usage in games.

"Years ago we stated our intention to support DX12, but since the introduction of Vulkan which has the same feature set and performance advantages this seemed a much more logical rendering API to use as it doesn't force our users to upgrade to Windows 10 and opens the door for a single graphics API that could be used on all Windows 7, 8, 10 & Linux. As a result our current intention is to only support Vulkan and eventually drop support for DX11 as this shouldn't effect any of our backers. DX12 would only be considered if we found it gave us a specific and substantial advantage over Vulkan. The API's really aren't that different though, 95% of the work for these APIs is to change the paradigm of the rendering pipeline, which is the same for both APIs."
    Brown doesn't dismiss the possibility of DirectX 12 support for Star Citizen in the future. As he puts it, "DX12 would only be considered if we found it gave us a specific and substantial advantage over Vulkan". He also mentioned that the two APIs "really aren't that different".

The full Star Citizen will still be in alpha for quite a while, but the official website says Squadron 42, Star Citizen's single-player component, is due out later this year.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Too bad this game will never be finished
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Administrator
    The Single Player version SQ42, is slated to be released this year, might be delayed, who knows.
    The online MMO version or the Verse will be released but like all MMO's it will never be finished.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post

Too bad this game will never be finished
    I'm glad. I hope its never ever ever finished
    It just keeps getting better and better.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
    I'm glad. I hope its never ever ever finished
    It just keeps getting better and better.
    Agreed !

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    The Single Player version SQ42, is slated to be released this year, might be delayed, who knows.
    The online MMO version or the Verse will be released but like all MMO's it will never be finished.
    Well, i kinda understand MMO aspect, if the games will be finished and later on it will be just enhancing, but SP was supposed to be out in 2016
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/g...forms-3598102/

And if i remember correctly first it was supposed to be out in 2013 then 2014 ...
    I Dont know, i would love to see it done. But around two years back i started thinking that "making" the games is actually A LOT MORE important to them than it is to finish it :/ .
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Administrator
    It will be finished. I think SQ42 will be out sooner than most think. There should also be a few expansion packs to SQ42 before the Verse hits.

Not sure how much you follow SC vario, but it has come a long way in the last few years. Some aspects I am not crazy about but over all IMO its coming along very nicely.

I do agree with you on the "making" the game comment, it has turned into a very complex thing. It also can seem like its all about pledging for ships that might take years to actually see in your hanger and constant redo's of ships they currently have. But all that should sort it self out at some point.