Thread: [News] AMD's Radeon Memory Business at a Standstill

[News] AMD's Radeon Memory Business at a Standstill

https://www.techpowerup.com/231586/a...t-a-standstill

AMD's Radeon branded memory business appears to be at a standstill, with no new product launches since 2015, and Radeon memory products out of stock (or nearly out of stock) at key retailers across North America.

When AMD was asked if it was planning to exit the memory business altogether, a company spokesperson replied that the memory is still being sold but is "mostly distributed in Eastern Europe, only small quantities are diverted to North America."
    Despite AMD's lack of admission that they are outright exiting the industry, it is obvious they are at least downsizing. Industry analysts point out that AMD may simply be evaluating whether the product line is worth competing in at all: The DRAM business is not critical to AMD, and is highly competitive. In the past, AMD has managed those risks by simply rebranding other memory manufactures products with the "Radeon" title, but perhaps even that did not prove lucrative enough for them. Only time will tell. For now, the product line is obviously in a state of limbo.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not surprising. It's just rebadged product from . . . I forget who? Their SSD business is basically dead also, it seems.

the memory was crucial, and i dont know who the SSD was from but it was a generic sandforce POS.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi