Thread: [News] Intel underestimated the AMD Zen Ryzen threat

[News] Intel underestimated the AMD Zen Ryzen threat

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/process...n-ryzen-threat

Ryzen 7 and now Ryzen 5 have launched and they are putting enormous pressure on Intel in the top-level market segment. After a whole decade, price/performance is definitely on AMD's side and even the upcoming Naples 32 core server part will put enormous pressure on Intel?s cash cow in the server market.

An industry veteran who wants to remain unnamed said Intel knew that Zen was going to be better than many hoped. Inside Intel, it looks like Chipzilla decided to underestimate AMD and its power to deliver.

For AMD, Zen is a make it or break it product and essentially Lisa Su, AMD CEO, lead by the vision of Mark Papermaster, the CTO of AMD, managed to deliver a 52 percent increase instruction per clock IPC compared to a previous generation.

This is the biggest IPC jump ever in the last 20 years of the PC market and AMD has delivered it. Some will focus on the fact that AMD is not winning every single benchmark, especially in gaming, but this is far less relevant. It was irrational to expect that AMD will win every single category of benchmarks, but it is winning most of them.

What matters is that performance per watt, AMD is a much better choice and Intel is feeling it. Intel has a very skilled team in the competitive analysis group which noticed that Zen might give it many headaches in the PC market.

It was top management which decided to ignore the threat. It got the right intell-igence but it decided not to react. Betting 100 million unit desktop PC market on speculations that its competitor will fail again, doesn?t sound like a good strategy.

Intel management had a strong reason, as AMD promised and failed to deliver many times, but everyone who has been in the industry long enough can remember times when the K7 and K8 were the market leaders and not Intel. Everyone remembers Netburst and P4 architecture and the first dual core attempts.

Now Intel is panicking, trying to find the answer to this major threat. The company had to warn its investors that it will lose both market share and margins to AMD.

This David versus Goliath fight is won by the smaller guy, AMD. AMD is almost ten time smallers than Intel in both market capitalization and the "man" count, and Intel should be ashamed of this.

I would not be writing about Intel but the trouble with the transition to 10nm could not come at the worst possbile moment. Intel had a manufacturing lead, and in this year both AMD and Intel are manufacturing their CPUs in 14nm. Intel plans to have some 10nm parts very later this year in the notebook segment and most likely it will be 2018 until it manages to get 10nm desktop parts out.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Mostly true, but he sounds very bitter about Intel, like his girl cheated on him with Intel's CEO

Not what I'd a call a "professional write-up"
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Mentor
    I believe intel is relieved a little bit after a week. Intel have many options to counter ryzen. Most beautiful ona will be a 8c/16t 7900k from 599 or 699.

About the article I think BenchZowner is right. This must be about a girl.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    While the article seems to be about right bout some things. Its underestimating intel. They have SO MANY options to counter AMD, granted most of them will need half a year to a year to implement, and they may not decide even to do them.But intel has been sitting on technology like a dragon from hobbit on its piles of gold.And of course they could do just price cuts, broadwell-e is not much bigger than kaby lake 4C/8T.
    And it does seem to forget about ryzens launch MANY faults, its not so rosy, amd did a good amount of self hurt also, and they are still doing it.
    I think there are few niches intel should be REALLY afraid about, but i dont think its desktop but rather computational servers, zen in some workloads delivers a big punch for small energy bill, couple that with incoming vega`s , and you have a winner. Raven ridge, could also be a hit, if its going to perform like a 2-3ghz zen with at last decent graphics, its a must have combo, and i will be buying one.But desktop for now is a mixed bag, for some people it makes a lot of sense,but its a minority, for others it can be a hassle not worth doing, and they will just get intel.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Mostly true, but he sounds very bitter about Intel, like his girl cheated on him with Intel's CEO

Not what I'd a call a "professional write-up"
    Since when does anything on fudzilla come across as professional?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    At least that's what they think haha
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero