Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [News] Microsoft Locks System Updates for Windows 7, 8.1 on Ryzen, Kaby Lake Systems

[News] Microsoft Locks System Updates for Windows 7, 8.1 on Ryzen, Kaby Lake Systems

https://www.techpowerup.com/231550/m...y-lake-systems

It would seem Microsoft is ever looking for more creative ways of pushing its Windows 10 operating system towards the masses. Some Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users have apparently encountered one of these: a lock on system updates. The error message, which reads "Your PC uses a processor that isn't supported on this version of Windows", points towards a hardware lock-in in exchange for added security and updates.

A Microsoft Support page sheds some light on this issue: that Windows 10 is the only Microsoft operating system to support particular hardware configurations. namely, systems based on Intel's "seventh (7th)-generation processors or a later generation" (Kaby Lake); "AMD seventh (7th)-generation ("Bristol Ridge") processor or a later generation"; and "Qualcomm "8996" processor or a later generation". This move on Windows 7 might make some sense; however, Windows 8.1 is still in its lease of life (and Microsoft support) until at least 2018.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, the "we will force win 10 down your throat" saga isnt apparently over.
    SO WHAT THAT THE CPU sint supported by ms, dont give them the cpu updates then you twats. Ms is doomed, they just dont get anything these days.
    I remember the days before xbox one launch, where it was rumoured that it will have a semi normal functioning windows alongside console os and i was like "yea!" , you could do so much withg these things then, even with some regulations from ms. But Noooo, they not only didnt do that, but made a series of BAD decisions that got so much publicity that even joe six packs were aware of they big brother agenda.Good for you MS. Just keep on doing stuff like this, and eventually , die.
    Oh, and the 8.1 thing, its borderline criminal.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Addict
    We should massively boycott Windows, start using Linux and MS, too bad Steam OS was a joke, it could have been a way out...
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Addict
    Shots Fired

The Windows 7 thing I suppose I understand, but 8.1 I don't really fully. It seems a bit odd to go out of their way to have Windows Update refuse to operate on a newer CPU though, even on an older, no longer supported OS.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Not a nice move!
    I wonder if the march security rollup hotfix can be installed manual as an msi/msp on an ryzen or kaby system.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Figures. We were sort of warned, though . . .

Xtreme Mentor
    So Windows 10 supports it.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    Figures. We were sort of warned, though . . .
    Yeah this is old news really... we have known this for sometime now.
    Even Ryzen platforms do not support Win 7/Win 8.

Xtreme Member
    I agree, old news, new clickbait. It's why I hate the internet.

I think MS is in a no-win situation actually. If they fully support the old OS on new CPUs then that's a potential overhead they have to deal with in addition to less encouragement for users to upgrade (i.e. less revenue), but then if they don't support the old OS on new CPUs users will complain when the non-supported combination doesn't work.

To me there's a never ending stream of people that dislike MS for the smallest of issues, even if their preferred alternative does the same.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

It is still cool to hate on M$

(can't forget that dollar sign there, ya know...)
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    In this german article the author installed windows 7 on an ryzen machine and had no problems installing windows updates. He moved the installation to an kaby lake machine and was also able to install updates. https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/...yzen-update-2/. They argue if the unsupportet error already appeared or if ms did only mention now that this may happen.

While it was old news that ms does not support win 7/8 on these systems, blocking updates on these was what this thread is about. One can say it's an good move because it prevents already running systems from breaking due to an untested change in an update causing it to fail. Would be nice to have at least an registry key to disable that behaviour. In case you use an test lab for all types of updates before releasing these to your production machines it would be still safe to use the automatic updates, for example.

Xtreme Addict
    From what I can tell so far, and I may be incorrect...
    But does this allow you to update at 1st, then after update brick the machine with a warning that says the cpu is unsupported?
    If so then bogus...

I don't really know what's going on, but those os'es worked just fine, and we all now the os's are essentially unsupported anyways, but now we are blocked from updating it.
    You can argue that it's time to update, but from what I understand (again I may be wrong), to brick machines to force them to update is plain wrong.

As for a work around...
    I think it was via msr reg's, you can change the cpu name.
    Windows probably will lock that cpu into place essentially after it boots, you can still change it but I think windows will stick with what it found originally.
    So you would need to boot dos or something, change the msr's, then reboot via int19 into windows.
    After booting windows you should beable to change it back to the correct name while windows thinks you have an older cpu.
    I would not be using the bd type of cpu names though...
    You don't want the scheduler to think you have one of those...

A bios mod/update setting could do this essentially.
    You would just need an app to change it back for stuff like cpu-z.
    The guy that makes thaiphoon burner had an app that did this, it was a bit buggy though, and I dn if anything past xp supports it (you need a device driver now to write directly to hardware).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Yeah this is old news really... we have known this for sometime now.
    Even Ryzen platforms do not support Win 7/Win 8.
    First of all, there are drivers for both od them.So they do support them, only that AMD amd intel have to do it "below the table" i dont know correct english term.
    Second of all, what my cpuid has to do with windows updates , that like 99.99% have nothing to do with cpu ?
    Its a simple shakedown/extortion or whatever. Windows 8.1 is still oficially supported bys ms!
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Cruncher
    So much for upgrading to Ryzen as I refuse to use that piece of Win 10.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

Administrator
    It works, have to play a few games tho...

Ian over at Anandtech made a guide.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/...-windows-7-x64

Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post

Was thinking the same but then i made myself an Ubuntu USB for my 1st ever linux "tryout", though i haven't tried it, yet.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
    OT but needs to be said............

You do know there are apps available that disables most of what is undesirable MS sh*te dont you ??

I 'kin hate what ms have done with W10 but using apps like 10amW10 and DWS get rid of most of the garbage and then, dare I say it..................W10 becomes usable with much faster boot/shutdown times
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    OT but needs to be said............

You do know there are apps available that disables most of what is undesirable MS sh*te dont you ??

I 'kin hate what ms have done with W10 but using apps like 10amW10 and DWS get rid of most of the garbage and then, dare I say it..................W10 becomes usable with much faster boot/shutdown times
    Dunno about others but Micro$oft doesn't get a "voice" in what i use or don't use in my computer.

The moment they try to force me to use something i don't want to use is the moment i stop using their products altogether: i've done it before to other software / hardware companies!

Xtreme Addict
    ^ Thats why I also use Linux, but I wont spite my face by cutting off my nose

I only use W10 because of Lightroom, and when I update my current rig to Xeon/something similar from AMD I'll be using VM from Linux
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD needs to port Ryzen Master over to Linux. Right now there are some boards that can't overclock without it due to wonky UEFI.

Some of you sound like the old "XP for life!" goons lol
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Some of you sound like the old "XP for life!" goons lol
    Well, XP WAS much better os in some ways than the vista line. So ?
    Thats because not every new thing in the world is better or better in everything than the old thing. What a shocker! .
    If i had dx11 and software support, yes i would be on xp64 now.
    Blindly following corporations wishes is also dumb as hell. Its pretty much thanks to these "goons" there are tools to strip W10 of most of its garbage.
    Ive never understood corporation apologists.

XP was good yes, but better than Vista/7? From a purely technical perspective, no. From a personal preference perspective, well sure that's fine, though I disagree. A couple things I may have preferred about it, but over all it can't hold a candle to 7. And 10, again, 7 is better in some things yes, but Win 10 I have yet to find anything that makes me want 7 over it.

"Corporate apologist" - Give me a break. Just because someone happens to like something from a company that you happen to dislike doesn't mean they are blind or make that person some sort of shill
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Guru
    I think the biggest problems with Vista were the memory management of the Aero features and general sluggishness as they over-projected available computing resources. As a whole I greatly preferred it over XP.

Windows 7 was literally just a cleaned up Vista. I even preferred the look of Vista (more aero), but 7 was so much faster than it justified the upgrade. Windows 10 fits the same boat of making the features 8 tried to introduce actually useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast