Thread: [News] AMD Ryzen 5 Series Lineup Leaked

[News] AMD Ryzen 5 Series Lineup Leaked

https://www.techpowerup.com/231519/a...-lineup-leaked

Over 12 hours ahead of its unveiling, Guru3D accidentally (timezone confusion) posted some juicy details about AMD's exciting Ryzen 5 desktop processor lineup. What makes these chips particularly exciting is that they occupy several sub-$250 price points, and offer the kind of gaming performance you'd expect from the larger 8-core Ryzen 7 series chips, since not a lot of games need 8 cores and 16 threads. The Ryzen 5 series will launch with two 6-core, and two 4-core SKUs, all four of which feature SMT (simultaneous multi-threading), and unlocked base-clock multipliers.

The Ryzen 5 series is topped by the Ryzen 5-1600X, priced at USD $249. This 6-core/12-thread chip features the full 16 MB of L3 cache available on the 14 nm "Summit Ridge" silicon, and backs it with clock speeds of 3.60 GHz core and 4.00 GHz TurboCore, with the XFR (extended frequency range) feature enabling higher clocks depending on the effectiveness of your CPU cooling. This chip could be AMD's power move against the Intel Core i5-7600K. Next up, is the Ryzen 5-1600 (non-X), priced at $219. This chip lacks the XFR feature, and comes with slightly lower clocks out of the box, with 3.20 GHz core, and 3.60 GHz TurboCore. You still get an unlocked base-clock multiplier, which Intel's $220-ish competitor to this chip, the Core i5-7500, sorely lacks.

I wonder how the 1600X will do in terms of overclocking, a few whispers I have been told say it's not going to clock as well as people think, but that could mean it will "only" reach 4.5GHz, which is still a good clock when you think about it.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    I wonder how the 1600X will do in terms of overclocking, a few whispers I have been told say it's not going to clock as well as people think, but that could mean it will "only" reach 4.5GHz, which is still a good clock when you think about it.
    I doubt it will be much more than 4.0-4.1 that we see with the 7 series. These are the same chips, lower binned, and heat didn't appear to be the limiter on the 7 series . Maybe into 4.2 territory and 4.3ish for the 4 cores but I wouldn't be expecting anything close to 4.5.

I'm very curious how these chips will be binned. Six cores going to be 4 +2 or 3+3 or mixed? 4 core going to be 2+2, 4+0, 3+1, or mixed? I'm even more curious how Windows 10's scheduler, which "has no issues", will treat these CPU's...
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

In theory some disabled cores and threads should help with clocking, theres a lot of work to be done on the UEFI side for most boards still as well so once UEFIs actually start to reach some level of maturity that should help things out a bit as well. My guess would be the 5s will be 4+2 or 3+3. Last I read MS are looking in to scheduler issues with Zen on W10 so it's just a matter of waiting for that update to land if there is a problem, which I think most people would say there is given how Zen works better on W7 than W10, lol.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Guru
    There's no reason to expect it to hit 4.5 GHz; you're only setting yourself up for disappointment there.

It's been discussed ad nauseam that these cutdown chips are most likely binned by voltage leakage, and that at best you're only going to see it clock as high as the best 1800X. Global Foundries elected to pursue power consumption over clockspeeds (which is typical with SOI), and I don't think it's reasonable to expect the 1600X to overclock that well. Would be a complete different story if the 1800X was just thermally limited, but on water could be pushed to 4.5 GHz like the 6900k.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    In theory some disabled cores and threads should help with clocking, theres a lot of work to be done on the UEFI side for most boards still as well so once UEFIs actually start to reach some level of maturity that should help things out a bit as well. My guess would be the 5s will be 4+2 or 3+3. Last I read MS are looking in to scheduler issues with Zen on W10 so it's just a matter of waiting for that update to land if there is a problem, which I think most people would say there is given how Zen works better on W7 than W10, lol.
    I'm concerned with health of the silicon. I have a feeling the 7 series is the silicon lottery winner and the 5 series are the scraps. At least some of them. Maybe the 1600x and 1500x will clock comparably with the 8 series but I have a feeling buying the 5 series will be like playing Russian roulette with silicon and clocking performance.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Brilliant Idiot
    Wow all I can say.....

Core down OC and see how the 8 core does simple. I gained .25x multiplier higher smt off not a penny more.

As far as the w7 to win 10. Heavily based on bios and application.

One thing I see many have overlooked as far as gaming goes.......the drivers for the vga are different which could explain the gains.
    Last edited by chew*; 03-15-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well R5 1600 seems to be THE chip to get if you dont NEED absolute MT power.
    It will clock to 4ghz 4.1, but with less heat and VRM load. Its gonna be mostly the same in games like 1800x, and have much higher MT performance than the 7600K.
    And the 4 cores for me also look like a better buy than the locked intels or unlocked 2 core.
    As for the win 7 vs win 10, ive heard w7 performs better with games on nvidia and w10 with radeons, so go figure.
    As for other differences, the schedulers are different, so depending on app they can do less/more CCX hopping, no wonder the results are different and also sometimes confusing (sometimes slower on w7 sometimes on w10).
    But hey, AMD did tell us that there is no problem right ? right ?!

;-)
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    I'm very curious how these chips will be binned. Six cores going to be 4 +2 or 3+3 or mixed? 4 core going to be 2+2, 4+0, 3+1, or mixed? I'm even more curious how Windows 10's scheduler, which "has no issues", will treat these CPU's...
    it has no chance of being a 4+0 at this point since the memory controller is split with on channel per die. when the APU are out it would be interesting since that might have a dual channel controller on one die.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Wow all I can say.....

Core down OC and see how the 8 core does simple. I gained .25x multiplier higher smt off not a penny more.

As far as the w7 to win 10. Heavily based on bios and application.

One thing I see many have overlooked as far as gaming goes.......the drivers for the vga are different which could explain the gains.
    I've read somewhere that when disabling cores they got a whopping 50mhz improvement.
    The 8 cores are gonna be the ones to get for now it seems.

Win7 vs win10, win7 is gonna beat it, just like win2k pro will beat winxp/2k3 (not in ogl, or maybe it was d3d...), and win7.
    When I played with win10 and win8's, and 9... (I played with the beta's a little bit)
    I can get it to use less services (I also mod svchost, offtopic: what ms did to svchost now after updates is dumb...)
    Though the latency is much higher in win10 and 8 then 7.
    Fps and benches weren't that far off from win7, margin of error mostly.
    But to me, it's not a high performer.
    The only reason I would even bother with win10 is for security updates.
    But no one is gonna get me on that nasty looking ui, and yeah I can buy some apps to fix that, but that's more services in the bg, win7 games so I'm good with that .
    I don't actually use win7 anymore for 24/7 daily use, I use linux (kde4 with qtcurve, I can customize the heck out of the ui).

Along time ago I played farcry1 on win2k pro and was surprised that it was much much faster then win2k3(xp).
    In xp/2k3 it was either ogl or d3d that was faster, and so was hd access.
    So I was a bit shocked to see such a large diff.
    I'm used to seeing minor diff's between os'es.

Win95 is the fastest, win98 is slower, winme is slower too but has faster hd access then win95 and 98 (offtopic: to fix ME, del registry soft>run entries, one default entry causes the crashes and lockups).
    Neptune never had..., and then there's nt4 which there's no reason to bother with lol.
    And win2k, pro is much much faster then adv server (I used to use adv server daily).

Win7 is gonna be slower then xp/2k3, especially in latency, however it has dx11, and it's much easier to install games on.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    it has no chance of being a 4+0 at this point since the memory controller is split with on channel per die. when the APU are out it would be interesting since that might have a dual channel controller on one die.
    I don't think that's entirely correct.
    The 8 cores as is I belive have tht exact option you mention, 4+0, and they still work...
    It's just the cores themselves being disabled I think.

And when it comes to apu's, I believe they will build a l3 and mem controller in the apu chip along side the 4core module to create a dual chan config.
    I'm pretty sure this is how it will go unless the controllers are actually 256bit (2 chans per ccx module).
    But that doesn't seem to be the actual case as far as I know.
    And that's were people will be disappointed thinking they can get away from the issue by going with a quad core.

I see 2 possibilities.
    Apu quad core type, 64bit mem for cpu, 64bit mem for gpu, combined for 64+64bit.
    Normal quad core, if the above is truly the case, this cannot happen...
    It will have to be an apu or a cut down 8 core, just like the 6 core.
    Which I think looks really really bad for the quad's..., if they don't clock for squat anyways.
    However, it will be a cheap way to move to the platform.
    Alot of people I guess are waitign for the 6 and quad cores.
    I guess they expect the quads to beat out the 8320/50.
    If they can get it to 4ghz, sure, but it will get outdone by intel bigtime.
    But it is a way of getting to the platform, one thing though, the motherboards, they're not quite ready I think for mainstream.

Speaking of mobo's.
    There's supposedly another update coming in a month or 2, I think 2.
    This update supposedly fixes the issue with 4x8gig sticks, and may help with 16gig sticks.
    And in my opinion, these updates sometimes help a tiny bit with normal oc config's too, so if you can't get 3200 100% yet, in 2 months you may be able to.
    Also there's talks of getting speeds higher then 3400-3600.
    If that is done, the platform will be worth something, to overclockers mostly... (if normal people want it for some reason, 8 cores for ex, cool, but otherwise I would recommend people to get intel for easier setup)
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 03-15-2017 at 09:38 PM.