Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryzen OC

MSI B350 Gaming Pro: Great board for the price.

Bios is functional for absurd price of $79, features only one PCIe slot and best to take use of that M.2 slot with the $100+ you saved.

You are not paying for stuff you do not need, enough engineering to mix the newest of technology smashed together to get to market on time. For $79 MSI figured out how to make the chip work for you with stability.

These chips are binned so closely to the branding that there is no need to spend more as these are good to 4Ghz'ish max. They are really strong chips even though the headroom is non existent without sub zero cooling.

I have tested all three skews, multiple of the 1800X to know where the retails are hitting from testing many of the press samples. AMD did a great job using new technology that seems to be a bit rough at launch, but has a lot of potential as gate leakage is fixed and the processor speed scales up.

My MSI board is still alive, I ran some threaded stuff 4ghz to confirm both that you really need a good board and good IMC in the chip.
    This board is pushing my chip uphill with stability or I just had a few bad GBT boards.

These boards are good for pushing Ryzen 7 to 4Ghz, more of a gamble if you will see 3200Mhz on your memory.

That said, there is a high chance I will buy a few of these boards for my Ryzen chips to make into workstations here.

I will try the Biostar board soon,
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 03-31-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Brilliant Idiot
    You need to take into consideration agesa ( microcode ) on board versus your findings my 2c.

Your on latest now with that bios in msi...gaming 5 oldest.

800105,800110,800111 just a few that various boards are on.

Also there is the dud board factor from a quite obviously rushed launch.

My little b350 is great.

I would not run 4.0 24/7 though.

3.6-3.8 chip dependant at 1.30 maybe.

Benching does not get it warm enough...crunching guys will get it hot though...

Pwms plus volts needed. Asking for problems.
    Last edited by chew*; 03-30-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Real Bench is good for stability testing on Ryzen but you cannot submit scores. Something with the wrapper and logging into hwbot, I think it is trying to open a browser window that is causing the hard crashes, does not matter if I open browser first, after I login from the pull down. HPET is enabled 1700 @ 4ghz 1.4v threaded heavy multitasking.

I will re run this as I tune and swap OS. This is with HPET enabled.

This is was one of my 1800X saves, useless as it is Win10 but a completed 5Gz run. HPET was enabled.

Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Pie assassin
    is the browser edge or IE? could be an edge bug. maybe change default browser to ie?
    Current Status - Testing & Research

I disconnected the network and clicked the login and it does not crash.

I will try browser
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Asus B350 Prime arrived today along with a few new parts
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Asus B350 Prime arrived today along with a few new parts
    Is that the same Prime B350-Plus that Chew has? If so, after you get the latest BIOS flashed, would you be willing to use AMIAFU to dump it for me? Chew was going to test it on his board to see if they'll flash on ASUS (apparently modded ones will flash on MSI according to another member), but will need a dumped ROM and not the 'CAP' variant that comes in the download. :P

Mine is the Plus, I will do the dump but it will take a day as I am

I have been trying to get lower than CL10 sub 3000Mhz on the C6H, risking my partition, this board will also pull 3600Mhz+ pretty easy on air.

I wish I could show you the new stuff but a few more days left till NDA lifts, I pushed to 5Ghz with SMT disabled to run more 32M.

The C6H is still alive.

The non R7 chips seem to be better at getting to 4500Mhz, the 1800X is the best binned of all.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Pie assassin
    Mine is the Plus, I will do the dump but it will take a day as I am

I have been trying to get lower than CL10 sub 3000Mhz on the C6H, risking my partition, this board will also pull 3600Mhz+ pretty easy on air.

I wish I could show you the new stuff but a few more days left till NDA lifts, I pushed to 5Ghz with SMT disabled to run more 32M.

The C6H is still alive.

The non R7 chips seem to be better at getting to 4500Mhz, the 1800X is the best binned of all.
    may be an spd or bios limit. I set c9 last night and the board was NOT happy at all.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    may be an spd or bios limit. I set c9 last night and the board was NOT happy at all.
    X6 1090T (1010MPMW) @ 4267MHz 1.44V NB@3229MHz 1.33V | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX2 @ 1845MHz 6-6-5-17-22 1T | Asus HD4890 @ 1050/4800 | Corsair HX850W | HAF 932
    EK Supreme HF | EK-FC4890LT | MCP655 + Koolance D5 Top | ThermoChill PA120.3 + 3x Enermax Magma | XSPC Bay res | Masterkleer 1/2" UV Red

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You need to take into consideration agesa ( microcode ) on board versus your findings my 2c.
    800105,800110,800111 just a few that various boards are on.
    Awesome post.

Quote Originally Posted by Formula350 View Post
    Is that the same Prime B350-Plus that Chew has? If so, after you get the latest BIOS flashed, would you be willing to use AMIAFU to dump it for me? Chew was going to test it on his board to see if they'll flash on ASUS (apparently modded ones will flash on MSI according to another member), but will need a dumped ROM and not the 'CAP' variant that comes in the download. :P
    Can you get a raw dump of the ami bios'es with this app?
    You don't happen to know what compression algo they are using with ami do you?, award was using a variant of lha.
    Edit: Is it possible to flash a raw dump to the boards somehow as well ? (other then using a usb stick, instead of CAP is it as simple as .ROM ?)

As a side note, anyone have a reliable method for spd dumping and programming these days ?, one without a crazy smbus scan that hoses boards...
    Just with bad experiences with smbus scans in the past, I'm hesitant to run anything that does one, though linux lm-sensor scan with sensors-detect was fine on my board (intel though), so was msi afterburners smbus scan (don't remember how to doit though).
    I'm aware of issues causes with a null spd when clearing the cmos... (and I think everyone else should be too lol..., either way..)

It appears to me.., some of these boards are relying on the spd to set the main timings ?
    And tweaking spd's got me higher overclocks on ddr1.., I never did track down what was going on in the bios that responded to those changes since it was i2c, and I don't know i2c yet.
    I wish I wouldn't of lost my asm linux kernal call code for pci bus access, early linux adoption woes I guess (forgot to back it up off my desktop before going for a clean install).
    It took alot of darn work to parse the cmd line tail, unlike dos where it was easy, linux doesn't expect you to pass raw data through pipes so it can be a pain to get it working the way you want.
    It really needed a kernel module to add whole dumps the fs somewhere, like /dev for example or something, but each device can be diff, take a normal pci device dump compared to say an isa bridge dump with temps, where it needs an offset and io size defined kinda like the pci bus but a little diff.
    Blah I'm going on a rant...
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 04-07-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by I.nfraR.ed View Post
    must be a strap issue I am seeing.

Sorry was gone for a week and today has already started off with a big bang.

Firing up the system so I can upload some screens for the R5,

With the lower wattage needed for these they are easier to cool, We should see a slightly higher Mhz capability as you step down in core count. For the autocascade at -120c I could bench all cores at 4.8Ghz, it looks like there are much better chips out there to be found than my random retail.

As we know lower timing is now always faster so I spent a lot of time on the C6H just playing with timing and testing each setting with 32GB installed for dual rank.

New memory came in and based on the timing and speed I think they are Microns.

Let me get situated and I will post up some Ryzen 5 screens.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

I was able to reach 5Ghz on the 1600X after I disabled SMT, then it was much easier to bench at that speed to plug away at some 32M.

I was able to boot in at 3700Mhz DDR4 on the HOF but SOC voltage was not helping on cold or I was pushing it too much and switched back to retest AFR.

Firing up the 1500X in the cascade today, I hope to break 5Ghz easier and get some screens on some different 16GB kits or I will stick with the AFR work on 3Ghz CL14.

Geil sent me some Dragon Ram "Specteks" modules, only a 16GB kit of 2x8GB.
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 04-13-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

I got my Ryzen 7 1700X to run at 4017MHz after i disabled SMT. Ram at 2133MHz.
    Just one question can i use 1.439V-- cpu v core for 247 use?
    My cpu is watercooled. CPUID is reporting 47?C idle temp
    and prime95 load after one and half hour stress test got to 89?C
    Last edited by Shocker003; 04-14-2017 at 08:19 AM.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

It should be fine at that temp.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

It should be fine at that temp.

Thanks alot for the info.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

I tried a few days of gaming, I took my best parts reloaded an OS and setup Crossfire with the RX 480's.

It took a bit of fiddling with the C6H BIOS to find the best profile for fan control but after a few tweaks the Predator 240 AIO was nice and quiet. I set my Corsair LPX B Die to 3200C14-14-14-28 and tried to get 4.1 to run 24/7 with 1.4v but I had to drop back to 4Ghz @ 1.35v after a couple of crashes on the 1700X.

With newest bios boot times are still a bit long but in game load times were great, having first vehicle option in Battle Field but it can be an issue with online games if you crash. One of the PVP games I play is World of Warcraft, while easy on both CPU and GPU the reboot time will drop you from any raid or instance before you can return all while you have your head in the case watching the post codes fly by making sure it does not hang up on something.

Once you are dialed in all is great in both stability and performance, the RX 480's are strong cards that I have no driver or graphics related issues so far.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

I think that starting a thread where members can help others out by submitting their Ryzen oc settings, will be awesome. I got infos on how to get around the new settings in CH 6 from another website. Maybe a forum for smart phones (firmware flashing and modifications) will be cool too.

MAIN RIG--:

I was running fine when I left it running on Friday but when I come back today it is sitting with post code 8, I pulled battery and re flashed, still dead.

Searching...
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker003 View Post
    I think that starting a thread where members can help others out by submitting their Ryzen oc settings, will be awesome. I got infos on how to get around the new settings in CH 6 from another website. Maybe a forum for smart phones (firmware flashing and modifications) will be cool too.
    There are already videos with 3.9 and 4.0 stable with 32g ram....videos show how to set bios...what more is needed?
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

I switched CPU's and it fired up again, tested the 1800X and it is fine in a different board. Tried to get back to the setting i had before with four sticks of AFR memory.

With four AFR modules installed performance is really good but trying to run at 3000+Mhz has issues, using DOCP or full auto @ 3000Mhz works perfect, went back into BIOS and moved only my memory to 3200Mhz and rebooted to the post code 8 again.

Swapped back to a 1600X and I will try 4 sticks of Micron instead of the AFR.

I actually went out and purchased a new Corsair 400C case, had crossfire setup with the FX 580 cards, the beefy EKWB Predator 240 AIO, 1TB M.2 EVO 960

Last edited by Charles Wirth; 04-25-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    There are already videos with 3.9 and 4.0 stable with 32g ram....videos show how to set bios...what more is needed?
    Well i don't know if visiting another site to get infos is better as getting it from here and equally it's good for fugger the site owner traffic wise. Meanwhile there are lots of motherboards out there and members can post the hardware and cooling being used with oc settings. Just like the old times.

MAIN RIG--:

Meanwhile the xs i know is not all about getting stable overclocking it's all about pushing the limits.and posting to show how it was done. Well members don't get motivated by seeing Pros like fugger pushing the limits with his unlimited resources. They get their kick when they read or hear that an average Joe is pushing his hardwares to the limit and their will like to out do him.

MAIN RIG--:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast