Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryzen OC

Ryzen OC

Thanks AMD, Asus, Corsair, Samsung, Galax, Enermax, EK, Sapphire and Gigabyte.

I have been away from AMD from over a decade as I wade into the pond. AMD sent me a few processors and motherboards to test the end of last month, the review systems included both Gigabyte and Asus motherboads, Corsair 16GB memory kits, EK Supremacy Predator AIO for Ryzen, and a complete lineup of processors.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/r2.jpg

http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/g2.jpg
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/g3.jpg
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/g4.jpg

The 1800X is up first with the Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming 5 and the AIO. BIOS temps were showing 50c and it has been many years since I seen a BIOS this stripped down and buggy. I was on BIOS F3f, the reviewers BIOS. It was rushed to get it ready for launch. It took a while to figure out memory holes, settings that do not work, settings that prevented posting, but luckily most of the important settings worked.

As you overclock and make mistakes the BIOS will often reset without notice, so you find yourself going back into BIOS every post to confirm settings are still set. Usually doing things like rebooting, crashing, changing ram (binning) and more will cause BIOS reset with known good settings. You will set settings in BIOS, press F10 and reboot into Windows to find BIOS reset during post far too often.

So once I figured out that XMP and full Auto was my best bet at posting this early bios I was off to the races with clocking this thing up. The BIOS needs time to mature, it may look like I am being hard on Gigabyte but I have not gotten to the Asus yet. I am forgiving to working with early BIOS, just pointing out this was a bit too early to properly evaluate with all out benchmarks knowing that important settings are not working.

My 1800X chip could not run 4.3Ghz on the AIO and had trouble completing Cinebench 15 @ 4.2Ghz 1.4v, going higher in vcore did not help. I was reaching into 80c with the AIO running threaded. 4.1Ghz should be about the max AIR/AIO speed running threaded.

My 1700X could not make the jump to 4.1Ghz with the AIO and moving vcore up and down.

I have not gotten to my 1700 yet, I hope that it will do 4Ghz with the AIO. 3.9Ghz might be a bit more realistic to max AIO.

These chips on the AIO would also beat the best air coolers available so if you are on air, you should be running stock speed. There is not much headroom from ambient temperatures.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/ek3.jpg

Switching over to the Kryotek, the Kryotek is a singe stage tandem phase change cooler and it runs at -60c. I could boot into windows @ 4.5Ghz 1.55v easy enough but the load from the CPU ate the Kryotek back to -40c running just one Cinebench, it was able to complete but just barely, any longer and it would crash, running back to back was impossible as I would have to wait for the Krytek to recover. The Kryotek is charged with Iceon 89 @ 5 PSI, it also has a chilly1 block that covers the cores but not the entire IHS. Dropping back to 4.4Ghz with 1.55v I could run back to back. Oddly trying to make the jump to 4.6Ghz was not happening even with 1.7v

http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/c2.jpg
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/c4.jpg

Now the Autocascade, it runs at -120c and it also features a chilly1 block. I ran for many hours to get a good feel of the CPU, stability, and performance @ 5Ghz 1.7v for Cinebench 15 or anything else I wanted to run. 5.1Ghz was good enough to run single threaded apps. 5.2Ghz 1.8v was not happening even for 1M.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/c1.jpg
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/c3.jpg

Lastly, LN2... I was invited to OC for AMD at GDC in SFO. An LN2 exhibition on the Gigabyte board for the AMD Vega launch party. My BIOS was limited to 1.8v max, I only had multiplier adjustment from Windows and a good CPU that would run full pot. I left memory the stock settings with full auto, I moved my VGA to the second PCIe slot and started to pour down and load a profile. Booting in above -180c was not a problem until the SATA ports started disappearing, after fighting with it and trying to get it to boot, I switched over to the M.2 and that seemed to work fine. I ran 32M at 5Ghz a few times to find out that there was a bug with memory or OS in that it would not complete a 32M. I switched to 1M and started to clock the CPU higher. I had no problem in completing Cinebench at 5.2Ghz and pushed for 5.3Ghz but that was not happening with 1.8vcore so I did the next best thing, I switched to CPUID for the 5.4Ghz screen, not a record by any means but shows that the CPU has more to give than the motherboard would allow.

I switched to M.2 after the dropped stopped booting, and finished the night running Time Spy and 1M. Not shooting for world records just to stay busy avoiding the BSOD.

The event was the AMD Vega launch party @ GDC, Live DJ, lots of demo's, food and open bar. The VGA's I ran for my demo were RX 480 Nitro + cards clocked at 1337Mhz.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/a1.jpg
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/a2.jpg
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/a3.jpg
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/a4.jpg

I spent a few days pushing the platform, testing IO, really figuring out the system. On air the first system smoked the USB ports, the CPU was OK. One of the odd things it did before death was it wrote the backup BIOS to the main BIOS rather than just switching them. I brought the board back just to cut the CPU socket from it as I plan on lapping the 1800X using the socket to protect the pins. The second motherboard I used at the OC demo also had a USB port die in the PS2 stack. The second motherboard also re wrote the oldest F1 bios onto the newest F3 BIOS during my session, pretty much ending my session. The SATA drive is damaged, I hoped to get the screens and validations from it.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/a2.jpg
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/a3.jpg
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/ryzen/a4.jpg

Upon my arrival back in Vegas, I had the Asus X370 Crosshair waiting for me. I get into BIOS to find a ton more development done by Asus and lots of new knobs to play with. I had a much easier time adjusting memory timing and ratios with being being able to reboot without reset. I had working bus adjustment to try higher memory frequencies. I strapped in the AutoCascade got to temp, had all my settings saved in profiles, freshly loaded OS set to land a 5Ghz 32M. I ran my first 32M at stock, it was just under 10 seconds and I rebooted. The system kept cycling post codes, after a few minutes I hit reset and it cycled endlessly, I then held the power and powered the system off. It never posted again. It was not a condensation issue, nor was the mounting too tight. I tried a few more times with AIO installed, I also try to do the emergency BIOS flash, it goes through the process but the post LED never comes on when I press the power button. Asus has another board in route now.

Both X370 motherboards do this weird thing where when you reset BIOS, change ram, PCIe, or CPU it will reboot like 8 times in a row. This seems to be normal.

For every 20c in cooling you should be able to get 100Mhz in CPU speed.

Time is needed for the platform to mature as board partners work to build a solid board for this platform.

As Ryzen scales up, efficiency shows that AMD can win in a few benchmarks but there is a lot of bugs, these bugs prevent some benchmarks from running or completing.

I would estimate 1 year to catch todays 6950X on a stock speed 8 core.

X370 pushes all devices through the chipset except VGA, the chipset is connected with 4x lanes. We noticed a lot of issues with IO performance like opening file manager to wait seconds for devices to refresh. Hard drive benchmarks are 10% behind Z270 on both SATA and M.2. I was hoping for some advancement in the hard drive department but 4x lanes is the fastest you will go without adding a PCIe AIC.

The chips are binned close to the edge of thermal window, there is not much more than 100Mhz headroom over XFR speed. The chips adjust core voltage automatically depending on core temp, at stock ambient 1.212v, -120 drops it down to 1.1v but when it is 60c the vcore at post is 1.41v+

Performance scales with Mhz as does the thermals, it acts like the 95w cpu goes to 200w by increasing the CPU speed to 4.4Ghz with 1.55v. I was amazed on how badly my cooler was losing temp for such a small step.

Once again AMD has a good chip, staged at being very competitive in that it beats Intel in a few threaded applications. As the manufacturing process will matures, clock speeds will go up. Intel still has the frequency lead but as the Ryzen scales up in speed that lead is lost. AMD's has another hurdle and that is with board developers commitments to delivering competitive products for AMD. No offense Gigabyte but your board failed me, it was barely functional at launch and should be avoided by anyone who plans on entering the BIOS. Asus has done a far better job on delivering a product ready for the store shelves. I have not seen the other manufacturers boards to comment, I would guess that they are somewhere in between these two I mentioned.

What I do like is the strong scaling, it can do a lot of work threaded. It will hit users expectations for performance, this cpu is right on target with a large desktop performance segment of the market.

A huge thanks to Simon Solotko for pointing me towards James Prior and getting things fixed.

Also thanks to Scott Wasson and Omar Faiz, they went the extra mile.

And just a lot more thanks to Jon Coulter from Tweaktown.
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 03-07-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Member
    Good stuff Fugger!

Administrator
    Thanks Charles !!

Brilliant Idiot
    Looks about right charles and as i have guessed reliable cold testing is not quite ready yet. Its possible but not mature enough yet. Thx for the info and confirmation of my concerns.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

did you tried another OS for complete 32M run?
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme Addict
    Wow Fugger on AMD, never thought I would see the day!

Good job

Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

My Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero is in the "bricked" club. I have been searching this for a few days and reports from other sites and even reddit thread.

No fix that I have found so far.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Administrator
    Argh !!
    I thought that was one of the best boards ?

Brilliant Idiot
    The best board will give me oldschool heatsinks, no lights a bad azz bios that will confuse all, dual 8 pin input power and my oc + - ref clock buttons. Until then there is no such thing
    heatware chew*

5Ghz 32M done working on timing now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r3.jpg 
Views:	2120 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	132223  
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    My Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero is in the "bricked" club. I have been searching this for a few days and reports from other sites and even reddit thread.

damn

Xtreme Enthusiast

Ouch. I hope Flank3r can help other C6H owners get through this problem.

Brilliant Idiot
    Charles with the corsair that came in kit and frisky voltage you can pull them in to like 10-13-13-28 should help a little.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme XIP

Thumbs up

Awesome stuff Charles , great to see you are enjoying Ryzen. Thanks for the overclocking report , information and pictures

Welcome to the club Charles , i am also a victim of the "bricked" club see here: see my post # 46 http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=167530&page=5 and Elmor's response.

As Oliver used to say " Keep Pushing " ...

Got It !
    Thanks
    Last edited by eagle101; 03-10-2017 at 05:58 AM.
    Thanks Eagle101
    -------------------------
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    SSD Ocz RevoDrive3 X2 Raid0 PciE
    -51c Cpu SS Phase.Change Cooling
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    1600 Watts P2 Evga Platinum
    G.SKILL Trident X Cas7 1600Mhz
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

32M at full speed on Windows 10 with HPET enabled.

To get around processor scheduler bug, set affinity to every other core starting with core 0

One good thing about clear mounting is that I can see if there is any condensation, I am on my fourth session without breaking down. Tuesday I ran for over 8 hours, went to lunch and took a few breaks with system at 5Ghz.

Last edited by Charles Wirth; 03-10-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Addict
    Awesome to see XS being xtreme yet again!

I was away for some time, and when I came back, it seemed the forums had more-or-less died. Seems like Ryzen has injected a breath of fresh air into XS though!

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    Awesome to see XS being xtreme yet again!

I was away for some time, and when I came back, it seemed the forums had more-or-less died. Seems like Ryzen has injected a breath of fresh air into XS though!
    Work in progress. I think the site hack hurt XS and superbinning killed ocing preety bad but if we come here to have fun XS will live

Most important of all is those with experience guiding others, I'm like yoda now near the end, time for others to walk the path of the jedi
    heatware chew*

The 1800X is up first with the Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming 5 and the AIO. BIOS temps were showing 50c and it has been many years since I seen a BIOS this stripped down and buggy.

X370 pushes all devices through the chipset except VGA, the chipset is connected with 4x lanes. We noticed a lot of issues with IO performance like opening file manager to wait seconds for devices to refresh. Hard drive benchmarks are 10% behind Z270 on both SATA and M.2. I was hoping for some advancement in the hard drive department but 4x lanes is the fastest you will go without adding a PCIe AIC.

No offense Gigabyte but your board failed me, it was barely functional at launch and should be avoided by anyone who plans on entering the BIOS. Asus has done a far better job on delivering a product ready for the store shelves. I have not seen the other manufacturers boards to comment, I would guess that they are somewhere in between these two I mentioned.
    I've tested F3, F4, and F5C for the Aorus Gaming 5, to those points all I have to really add are;

- Thank christ somebody else is saying it, I started saying it several days ago and felt like it was falling on deaf ears.
    - I didn't see anything to really worry about in the quick mechanical HDD test and SSD tests I did, performance is fairly good, certainly nothing to worry about compared to everything else.
    - Agreed, the AX370 Gaming 5 is almost a complete and utter failure at launch it's UEFI is not even in the beta stages IMO, it's still in alpha testing. Gigabyte should be ashamed of themselves.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So on the dead C6H: is it fully bricked, or is it in a reboot loop?

Also, i have heard that C6H UEFI rev 0902 will fix the spontaneous bricking issue?

I saw the post but have not tried to un brick it yet with that bios, I did try previous a few times.

Mine went into reboot loops and when I cycled power it was KO.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Enthusiast
    elmor said it is the EC Firmware that goes K.O. and needs to be reprogrammed.
    It could be done either by unsoldering that chip and reprogramming it or by attaching a clamp to it, which would be the easier option, although I only have a programmer, but no clamp.
    My board is still fine though, but I will probably update with newest 0902 bios.
    I don't know how to extract EC firmware, but in theory it should be a block in the bios file or maybe it's a separate secondary file.
    Not sure if it is contained in the bios file or not.

Link to elmor's post: http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?...6&postcount=69
    X6 1090T (1010MPMW) @ 4267MHz 1.44V NB@3229MHz 1.33V | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX2 @ 1845MHz 6-6-5-17-22 1T | Asus HD4890 @ 1050/4800 | Corsair HX850W | HAF 932
    EK Supreme HF | EK-FC4890LT | MCP655 + Koolance D5 Top | ThermoChill PA120.3 + 3x Enermax Magma | XSPC Bay res | Masterkleer 1/2" UV Red

I will send it back to Asus to be fixed next week.

I can also confirm the Gigabyte motherboards are not equal, in fact the three I have all perform differently.

Two boards that burnt USB ports could do 2933XMP and 3200 on B die with loose timing. load defaults set XMP and reboot works...

The board that has all working USB cannot do XMP or 2933+ with loose timings and maxes out at 2666CL10 @ 1.6v, I have two reviewer kits of the Corsair that will do CL12 @ 2933Mhz on the above boards.

I also noted that the Asus is far stronger at Pi than Gigabyte, how can the gap be so huge. The Gigabyte is more than 100Mhz behind in 1M than the Asus with exact same timing. I can run worse timing and beat the Gigabyte board with CL10. No matter how hard I tried I could not pull a 10s 1M run @ 4.1Ghz (XFR) on Gigabyte and Asus will hit it first try. Granted my Gigabyte board doesn't work correctly but all 3 cannot pull 10s 1M @ stock on the 1800X. Performance on Windows 7 is also worse than Windows 10. Another test I ran was PCMark 7, same ram, same HD, stock speed, same video card on both Asus and Gigabyte machines, Asus scores 8300 and the Gigabyte was 7700, overclocking I could not break 8K on the Gigabyte.

I will upload more screens, I left the office late yesterday without uploading.

A tight timing machine should pull 9.x seconds in 1M
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 03-11-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, mine is dead, too. Same reboot cycles, then hit reset button manually and that was it.
    Bios flashback button does not work (doesn't light up), power button lights up, but does nothing and board does not turn on at all.
    I was in the beginning of my LN2 session, trying to see what the cpu likes. Voltages were not really high.

PS: And I had 0902 flashed.
    Last edited by I.nfraR.ed; 03-12-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    X6 1090T (1010MPMW) @ 4267MHz 1.44V NB@3229MHz 1.33V | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX2 @ 1845MHz 6-6-5-17-22 1T | Asus HD4890 @ 1050/4800 | Corsair HX850W | HAF 932
    EK Supreme HF | EK-FC4890LT | MCP655 + Koolance D5 Top | ThermoChill PA120.3 + 3x Enermax Magma | XSPC Bay res | Masterkleer 1/2" UV Red

Xtreme Member
    Fugger have you tested the 1700 yet...

I'm interested if 4ghz 24/7 with a 240 AIO is doable...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast