Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So, which board to get for Ryzen?

Xtreme Enthusiast

So, which board to get for Ryzen?

Right now it appears that:

Asus C6H is hard to get, and has issues with UEFI/microcode

Gigabyte Gaming 5 has weak PWM/is prone to overheating, but is getting better performance than some other boards (notably c6h) due to mature UEFI/microcode or . . . ? Also, has no external clock generator.

ASRock Taichi has stronger VRM setup than anyone(maybe?), but may not have the same RAM support via multipliers as the C6H (ASRock now advertises up to DDR4-3200). Definitely DOES have an external clock generator. It may be that RAM settings outside of DDR4-2400 are irrelevant thanks to the benefits of bclk OC.

My Amazon pre-order has resulted in a chip arriving tomorrow while my board is completely MIA. Unknown ship date etc.

So am I going to regret cancelling my order with Amazon and getting a Taichi somewhere else? I had really wanted the whole RoG experience, but Amazon did not come through. Near as I can tell, it will be the board available the soonest, and it costs so little that I can overnight it and still save money.

Or should I even consider the MSI board? It seems overpriced, and I have my doubts . . .

Xtreme Addict
    I'm wondering the same thing.

Have had the CHVI Hero on order since 02/22, and Amazon has still yet to provide an estimate. 1800x arrives this Tuesday (thanks, Amazon.... better late than never I guess).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Point A , is Taichi seems to have everything you need and more.
    Point B is i didnt see it in any review .
    I myself am very happy with my current asrock, and other ones i used, also their support is good.I will not be getting asus , because i had so many problems with their support that i hope they die .
    I would be very happy if you would get asrock tai chi because you could test it for us
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

I might see if I can get a Asrock X370 board or two for review, but I won't be doing so for a couple weeks most likely as I have 3 other reviews to do first. Gaming 5 board I get is going to be a retail version so will be able to clear any questions up about that.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Brilliant Idiot
    16 phase digital(8+8 or 4+4+4+4?) on taichi but only 8 pin in. For water air that 8 pin should suffice. I know ive heard over 200w pulled so far probably never hit 300 on air/water.

Ln2 guys probably going to want more input power.

My Rog experience happens every day post missing usb devices m4e p67 still to this day. Have to kill psu flip on and they come back.

Theres like a forum that was dedicated to solving that issue....never fixxed

Other than that going 5 years strong...but that one problem is preety sad for a top tier product
    Last edited by chew*; 03-05-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Member
    taichi Has 12+4
    Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming has also 12+4
    Last edited by techtrancer; 03-05-2017 at 05:33 PM.

FX-9370 @ 4.7 GHz @ 1,44 V | NB @ 2286 MHz @ 1,21V
    32 GB 1600 CL11 1,5V @ 846 MHz @ CL 9-9-9 @ 1,4V
    MORA 2 + Laing D5 + 9 x 120mm @ 5V
    Gigabyte GA-970A UD3 Rev. 1.2
    XFX HD7750 2GB Core Edition
    Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

Brilliant Idiot
    Unless the fatality has some godlike feature taichi doesn't have i wont put anything fatality branded in my pc. Branding costs money that costs us money
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Thats Right

Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    Point A , is Taichi seems to have everything you need and more.
    Point B is i didnt see it in any review .
    I myself am very happy with my current asrock, and other ones i used, also their support is good.I will not be getting asus , because i had so many problems with their support that i hope they die .
    I would be very happy if you would get asrock tai chi because you could test it for us
    At this rate it's gonna be the Taichi. Sadly I will be at work (read: away from teh Intarwebz) until like 6:30 AM EST Tomorrow, and I know that's the earliest I can get that board. But if they don't run out of stock I am gonna cancel my order for the C6H with Amazon and get one. I do not want to wait another 1-2 weeks just for my C6H to ship!

I mean sorry Asus but why does Amazon gotta do me like that?!?

Even if I do get the Taichi, it'll take me awhile to build and test because I'm currently pulling over 130 hours of work per biweekly period. Last 2-week check was for 134 hours. Personal life? What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing.

Have had the CHVI Hero on order since 02/22, and Amazon has still yet to provide an estimate. 1800x arrives this Tuesday (thanks, Amazon.... better late than never I guess).
    Same boat, though I got my CPU here earlier (later today) by ing at some reps in chat. Didn't budge the board ship date though. Grr.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    16 phase digital(8+8 or 4+4+4+4?) on taichi but only 8 pin in. For water air that 8 pin should suffice. I know ive heard over 200w pulled so far probably never hit 300 on air/water.

Ln2 guys probably going to want more input power.
    Good point. ASRock claims 300w+ power draw support at the socket, but . . . yeah. Anyways I doubt I'll hit that on air/water, which will be my limit.

My Rog experience happens every day post missing usb devices m4e p67 still to this day. Have to kill psu flip on and they come back.

Theres like a forum that was dedicated to solving that issue....never fixxed

Other than that going 5 years strong...but that one problem is preety sad for a top tier product
    Ha ha! Ouch. Kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by techtrancer View Post
    taichi Has 12+4
    Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming has also 12+4
    Does the Fatal1ty board have an external clockgen? I know ASRock's X370 Killer - which I could get today - has no such thing. So not buyin that one.

Unless the fatality has some godlike feature taichi doesn't have i wont put anything fatality branded in my pc. Branding costs money that costs us money
    Yup. Maybe if it were the Jim Keller Edition I would think otherwise.

Xtreme Member
    Dont know

Here you can find some other informations abaut AM4 MB
    But page is in German and list is new and Not yet complete

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/communit...l#post25344552
    Last edited by techtrancer; 03-06-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

Brilliant Idiot
    Im skeptical of 12+4 also. Iirc 6 phase is biggest real actual phase unless something changed in my absence. Redundant 6 is realistic. 6+6+4.

Not that it is a bad thing mind you. We are actually thinking of going taichi. Still debating. May need two boards or possibly 3.

Ln2 is a factor here for us. My prep ruins boards however..air they run hot afterwards so may need an air/water testbed and phase/ln2 testbed
    Last edited by chew*; 03-06-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Please make some pictures from the taichi without the onboard cooling If you buy one

Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

Should OP get the TaiChi, i'll definitely pay close attention to this topic since that's the board i'm trying to get but, for now, it's not even available in Portugal

Am just wondering if it comes with drivers for windows 7 because that's a big factor in me deciding to go ahead with a Ryzen system purchase.

Brilliant Idiot
    apparently there are drivers they do work, official response is unsupported however.
    heatware chew*

Pie assassin
    Im skeptical of 12+4 also. Iirc 6 phase is biggest real actual phase unless something changed in my absence. Redundant 6 is realistic. 6+6+4.

Not that it is a bad thing mind you. We are actually thinking of going taichi. Still debating. May need two boards or possibly 3.

Ln2 is a factor here for us. My prep ruins boards however..air they run hot afterwards so may need an air/water testbed and phase/ln2 testbed
    ruins? no. I cleaned up our moa board. giant pain in the @$$ but it was doable... to what degree though who knows as that board was garbage from day 1 lol.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    ruins? no. I cleaned up our moa board. giant pain in the @$$ but it was doable... to what degree though who knows as that board was garbage from day 1 lol.
    Ive since swapped to silicone based conformal, can't get that stuff off.
    The urethane stuff was removable with extreme labor lol. But it would crack on direct ln2 spillage.
    The silicone does not.
    Of course I could just plastidip but not sure how that will hold up in like 4 hours cold conditions where board is an iceberg.
    I imagine it would bubble up eventually.

BTW drmrlord.

gaming 7 is confirmed to have "turbo bclock" in less marketing terms a clock gen chip which will allow bclock adjustment.

availability unknown
    Last edited by chew*; 03-07-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So NewEgg was supposed to have both the Taichi and X370 Fatal1ty Professional in stock today

Mysteriously the availability date (3/7/2017) disappeared sometime this morning (only got home at 6:30 AM EST) and there is no sign of them selling it yet.

I talked to a chat rep. They said they hadn't sold any today, but they were really . . . touchy on the subject of discussing stock levels, or exactly when it would go on sale.

My guess is they took a delivery a few days ago, prepared for shipment, and fulfilled a bunch of pre-orders. So I can not buy either ASRock board as of this posting. I'm going to continue to monitor the situation up to the point that I have to leave for work in about an hour.

Meanwhile Amazon is finally threatening to ship my C6H on the 9th. I am conflicted.

edit: I also set up auto-notify with NewEgg. It never triggered today. So . . . I don't know what the deal was with that.

BTW drmrlord.

gaming 7 is confirmed to have "turbo bclock" in less marketing terms a clock gen chip which will allow bclock adjustment.

availability unknown
    Yeah I had heard about the Gaming 7 getting that feature. If it's the same PWM as on the Gaming 5 though, I am . . . skeptical as to whether or not I'd want it. Gigabyte seems to have one of the most robust UEFIs among the X370 boards thus far, though, so that is a plus for them. NewEgg claims to have stock on the 8th.
    Last edited by drmrlordx; 03-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    Yeah I had heard about the Gaming 7 getting that feature. If it's the same PWM as on the Gaming 5 though, I am . . . skeptical as to whether or not I'd want it. Gigabyte seems to have one of the most robust UEFIs among the X370 boards thus far, though, so that is a plus for them. NewEgg claims to have stock on the 8th.
    I don't know about robust but I am trying to get stuff I feel needs to be added in options. Simple stuff like the ability to disable all onboard items, Ethernet sound usb etc etc. currently as sits if you have a external sound card you want to use you would have to disable the onboard in device manager. option to do so is missing in bios. trying to get common sense stuff sorted before we get fancy if they even can or will.

I played around with the asus rog board at microcenter on display. way more into that bios than the gigabyte has currently. It also had some ram issues.......3000 ram could not do 3000. Pretty sure it was probably not qvl. chip was doing 4.1 ( stable they claimed ) with reasonable voltage ( less than I need for 4.0 ).
    heatware chew*

On the Asus I had to adjust ref clock to 102.x to get 3000 to work
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Brilliant Idiot
    yah I did not want to screw with there display unit to much but I did nosy around in bios.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The Egg did not come through. 4:15 PM EST and still no Taichi or Fatal1ty for sale, so . . . they probably burned their stock on pre-orders. Sorry, you'll have to find someone who had better luck getting one of those boards, since it looks like the only way I'll get X370 to my door is to let Amazon ship my C6H on the 9th. Sure hope it doesn't brick itself.

Brilliant Idiot
    The Egg did not come through. 4:15 PM EST and still no Taichi or Fatal1ty for sale, so . . . they probably burned their stock on pre-orders. Sorry, you'll have to find someone who had better luck getting one of those boards, since it looks like the only way I'll get X370 to my door is to let Amazon ship my C6H on the 9th. Sure hope it doesn't brick itself.
    I have confirmed with ASUS that the bricking is user error. It takes longer than expected users think its done power off. bricked. so do not kill the power if it does this, let it do its thing walk away go smoke a butt grab a coffee or something.
    heatware chew*

So NewEgg was supposed to have both the Taichi and X370 Fatal1ty Professional in stock today

Mysteriously the availability date (3/7/2017) disappeared sometime this morning (only got home at 6:30 AM EST) and there is no sign of them selling it yet.

I talked to a chat rep. They said they hadn't sold any today, but they were really . . . touchy on the subject of discussing stock levels, or exactly when it would go on sale.

My guess is they took a delivery a few days ago, prepared for shipment, and fulfilled a bunch of pre-orders. So I can not buy either ASRock board as of this posting. I'm going to continue to monitor the situation up to the point that I have to leave for work in about an hour.

Meanwhile Amazon is finally threatening to ship my C6H on the 9th. I am conflicted.

edit: I also set up auto-notify with NewEgg. It never triggered today. So . . . I don't know what the deal was with that.

I pre-ordered Fatal1ty Pro on March 2nd, it has finally shipped today. I think they do not have enough stock to take any more orders. I noticed they stopped taking pre-orders, I am hoping it's because of too much demand and not because they found problems and need to release a v2 so soon.

FX 8350 @ 5.11ghz | Gigabyte 990FXA UD5 | 16GB Mushkin Blackline | 7970 @ 1.2ghz
    core i7 920 @ 4.05ghz | asus p6t deluxe | 6GB G. Skill @ ~1.6ghz | 7970 @ 1.2ghz - 6ghz - 1.2v
    Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz | 1gb G. Skill @ ~520mhz |4870 1GB | asus a8n32 sli

Brilliant Idiot
    Nah they are all sold out according to my sources. Huge amount of sales...
    heatware chew*

apparently there are drivers they do work, official response is unsupported however.
    Thank you: i know it's "officially" unsupported, which is why i didn't know if it came with the drivers or not.

Definitely the board i'm aiming for but ... not available in my country ... SUCKS

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast