Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2532333435

Thread: Ryzen - Return of the Jedi

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron96 View Post
    I getting ready for my new water-cooled build.

Does the higher binned chips clock any better? Memory OC etc

chew* can you give me an advice of which chip to buy.

1700 vs 1700X vs 1800X

Thx
    1700 for a daily rig.

1800x if benching ln2.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Thank you.
    DFI NF4. AMD64 X2 4400@2600MHz. OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Gold GX XTC 2GB Dual Channel 3.0-3-3-8-1T@260MHz. PSU OCZ 520W. Sapphire RADEON X800 XL VPU 420MHz ram 580MHz.
    My computer
    My computer Pic2

Thx.
    DFI NF4. AMD64 X2 4400@2600MHz. OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Gold GX XTC 2GB Dual Channel 3.0-3-3-8-1T@260MHz. PSU OCZ 520W. Sapphire RADEON X800 XL VPU 420MHz ram 580MHz.
    My computer
    My computer Pic2

Xtreme Member
    @ Chew,

You may want to let Asrock know that latest bios based on Agesa 1.0.0.0.6b has vcore issues when using P State overclocking. It will either immediately push vcore .05v + above what the same settings in Agesa 1.0.0.0. 6a bios is delivering or it will insidiously creep up in the background to .05 + over time, also it tends to get "stuck" at this max volt with very little undervolting when the cpu down clocks in idle.

This is all tested on X370 Fat Pro Gaming which as we know is pretty much the same board as the Taichi. Others on the Asrock forums have described similar overvolting/spiking with the Agesa 1.0.0.0.6b coded bios as well.

Brilliant Idiot
    Due to changes required to fix the multi bug and from what I was told bios is in qualification and since the bug was related to vcore and or multi it makes it pointless to debug or report anything until those changes are implemented and we see how it effects things.

The inability to oc is a priority fix is basically what I am saying. Until fixed and have fix bios i would just be wasting my time and theirs.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Due to changes required to fix the multi bug and from what I was told bios is in qualification and since the bug was related to vcore and or multi it makes it pointless to debug or report anything until those changes are implemented and we see how it effects things.

The inability to oc is a priority fix is basically what I am saying. Until fixed and have fix bios i would just be wasting my time and theirs.

Sorry, just for clarification; are you saying they Asrock are aware of the problems with voltage over volting and overclocking with last 1.0.0.6b bios or they are unaware of the issue with voltage over volting and overclocking with P-states with last bios?

Brilliant Idiot
    I'm saying until the changes are implemented for the newer cpu's and the multi bug which appears to be related to some voltage discrepancies screwing with anything or having them make changes until that priority bug is fixed is a waste of time.

cpu's stuck at 1500mhz or 2200mhz = priority 1

Fixing that will change things.

It's like throwing a waterpump on a car with a bad headgasket.....Problem 1 is headgasket fix that first, change waterpump after.....

Even if I wanted to report it I need to show them anyway.

My board with a bugging cpu is in Taiwan. My hands are tied until it returns.
    Last edited by chew*; 09-29-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Soooo Pinnacle Ridge (Zen+) in maybe March 2018? Who wants in?

depends on the improvements. some tweaks here and there ..slightly higher clocks. can only be good. but i hope they take the opportunity to fix up their design as much as possible. such as:

Improved IMC
    Improved scheduling
    Improved turbo (Ryzen turbo is quite fussy)
    Improved inter-CCX communication
    Improved branch prediction
    AVX and other instruction set support/optimization
    Critical path optimizations
    Tweaking for lower power
    Tweaking for higher clocks
    Decently revised process.

although zen2 is more likely to have more attention....but thats another year away at least....best to make themost of the PRidge revision...

but the amd roadmap says that Pinnacle Ridge is "Summit Ridge architecture" ...so i'm guessing fat chance its anything but a process shrink....but im hopeful that its more than that, with some minor design refinements of the cpu/stepping
    Last edited by adamsleath; 09-30-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Brilliant Idiot
    I dont think ryzen turbo is fussy. I think it works exactly as intended. A quick bolt on of phase change verifies this.

Since amd has forever made a server chip and downgraded from there for desktop one must look at the environment server boards are specced to run at.

A climate controlled cold room.

A quick trip outside this winter shoving pc in window dialing system in stock should verify what i saw on phase change. Turbo speeds that "stick" while running workloads mainly because the turbo feature is based on temp sensors.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think Intel still has a more aggressive Turbo. I am also curious to see some core tracking while running benchmarks and compare AMD vs Intel and see how the clocks and thread scheduling compares.
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2532333435