Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryzen - Return of the Jedi

Pie assassin
    @cdawall
    Get your big boy pants on, c14 is a joke for benching

15 min on this board. 3600c12 is easy if you follow the rules.
    Last edited by ZenEffect; 03-28-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    @cdawall

Nice work!!, looks like Biostar board is very good

Brilliant Idiot
    My dime my time.

heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastviking View Post
    that is no biostar.
    ch6

I got tired of waiting for bios update from them so I switched boards to one with more immediate capability. not saying biostar wont be able to achieve the same eventually, it just cant right now.

@chew

NICE. Now that we are on the same playing field, LETS DO THIS!

Brilliant Idiot
    I was trying to save the little PRO from a whooping.

We will keep those non ref boards for non ref on non ref crime.
    heatware chew*

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I was trying to save the little PRO from a whooping.

We will keep those non ref boards for non ref on non ref crime.
    is it really fair though with all the manufacturers being on different agesa versions? I haven't had an update on biostar since the 14th and its getting really annoying. I can clearly see that they make a HUGE difference.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    @cdawall

lol yes it is very easy if you have sticks that do it. I am not going to walk out and bin sticks to get that far CL14 is fine for what I am doing That however is a much nicer run than my CL14! Any benchmarks at those speeds I would be curious how much more efficient it is vs my CL14 run, there wasn't a jump in CB15 for CL16 vs 14 nor was there one in valley which were 3/4th of the benchmarks I had to run at work.
    Last edited by cdawall; 03-28-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Brilliant Idiot
    We did not bin.

We both came from retirement.
    Ryzen from our slumber.

Ordered one set newegg no sponsors no handouts running what we brung just like street races/drag strip which is sort of where we have been.

I opted for pc3200 14-14-14

He ordered the 15-15-15 3600 stuff i think.
    Last edited by chew*; 03-28-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    heatware chew*

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
    lol yes it is very easy if you have sticks that do it. I am not going to walk out and bin sticks to get that far CL14 is fine for what I am doing That however is a much nicer run than my CL14! Any benchmarks at those speeds I would be curious how much more efficient it is vs my CL14 run, there wasn't a jump in CB15 for CL16 vs 14 nor was there one in valley which were 3/4th of the benchmarks I had to run at work.
    post up 32m 4ghz @ your timings and speed, we will see how much faster my runs are and I wont even use ref clock adjustment c12 is no joke. 32m is the true show all of system efficiency.

also, those are NOT binned sticks. I bought a SINGLE set from newegg and have been rocking them since. not binned... maybe lucky but definitely not binned (I'm pretty lucky with memory) though I'm confident 90% of Samsung b-die single rank sticks will do 3600c12 all day long. its all in the tuning and understanding of platform behavior. no binning needed if you are understanding what the board is doing, understand what the memory likes, and can work with it.
    Last edited by ZenEffect; 03-28-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    That is curious. Well I am going to give CL12 another shot. I am not a prideful one on this platform, it is not hard to beat my scores I am far from an expert lol. The kit I am using I didn't pay for nor did I pay for any of the rest of the rig, but I don't get to keep it nor do I have it at home. Rig was a build for a contest and hopefully we won. I will try some more on it at work tomorrow, but that will only happen if I am not busy doing my actual job

Brilliant Idiot
    I found some effeciency at 16 but it was not by choice lol.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    Production and its kinda new to ryzen am4.

Seeing as a .25 multi gives you 25 mhz and that can make or break stability on an oc with these chips ( yes its that fine of a line) 101x40 gets you 4040 mhz.. So even a multiplier is finer grain than Zens ref clock.

So 100.20 is much finer grain control and one point of having a chip.
    I understand the point you have made regards CPU overclocking and having the ability to have finer control over the final clock speed.

Though I am not following how this applies to memory overclocking in the sense that a ref clock board can clock so much more higher than a non ref clock board.

The granularity that non ref clock board gives is not going to effect the memory in terms of total frequency, is it because the ref clock board can avoid memory holes so that they can clock at higher frequencies ?
    Last edited by mongoled; 03-29-2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: grammer
    Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastviking View Post
    Dude, flash from the past

Remember those days hammering the BH-5's !!!!

:-)
    Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoled View Post
    I understand the point you have made regards CPU overclocking and having the ability to have finer control over the final clock speed.

Though I am not following how this applies to memory overclocking in the sense that a ref clock board can clock so much more higher than a non ref clock board.

The granularity that non ref clock board gives is not going to effect the memory in terms of total frequency, is it because the ref clock board can avoid memory holes so that they can clock at higher frequencies ?
    Im not sure yet. There definitely are holes in applied settings though alot of them. I know one thing is for sure my fury x does not like over 2...

My 8400 does not like 150
    heatware chew*

Pie assassin
    Im not sure yet. There definitely are holes in applied settings though alot of them. I know one thing is for sure my fury x does not like over 2...

My 8400 does not like 150
    try a 290x, I was 160+ last night with it. as our 290x are basically the same bin, it *in theory* should work the same.
    Last edited by ZenEffect; 03-29-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Brilliant Idiot
    Got a couple others i can try maybe a 3870 likes it. Trying to avoid messing with the daily and waterblocks for now.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member

Question

Mr Chew... Chewy... Chewbacca, if I may, considering the thread title

W..would you like to be a guinea-pig? ^_^ I scrounged up AMIBCP for Aptio V v5.0.1.0014, and AM4 BIOSes load and save fine (or seem to from the looks...), and since I figured you'd definitely not want to sacrifice your last Gigabyte board (at least I think you've fragged them all? lol), I figured maybe that B350 may be worth exploring?

Your Prime is... *cough* Optimus Prime, as there's more in that BIOS than meets the eye! (god, I am so sorry for that, please forgive me? )

I already took the liberty of setting them all the "USER" instead of Default, which in past experience 'unlocked' the settings. Unfortunately my only other UEFI or even AMI motherboard met an untimely demise when my multimeter probe slipped and shorted on one of the capacitors near the CPU (was an FM1 board back in the day). Otherwise I wouldn't be coming to ya and would gladly do it myself :\

For reference though... No errors and they compare the same:

There's a WHOLE wack of other stuff in that "overflow" sections as well, that could be moved over into free spots in accessible areas. Things like "SATA CLK Mode Option" with "EXT 25MHz" "INT 48MHz" "INT 100MHz" "Auto" options. Or Memory Bank and Channel Inteleaving. As well as things I'm not quite certain the usefulness of like "SB Clock Spread Spectrim Option" (Optimal is set to -0.375%) and PCIB_CLK_Stop_Override with a value input...

Anyways I can PWD Zip the archive and PM you the pass, or something, if you're interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B350-Plus_Filesizes.png 
Views:	1486 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	132247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B350-Plus_Saved.png 
Views:	1657 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	132248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B350-Plus_SubTimings2.png 
Views:	1574 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	132249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B350-Plus_SubTimings1.png 
Views:	1566 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	132250  

Brilliant Idiot
    Theres a few things I would love working or added on my b350.

I did put it to the side for now but yah maybe i'll solder it up to verify no crazy voltage changes and then we can guinea pig it.

I have an underperforming 1700x that promises it will do better in its next life to so I can stick that in it for the oops factor.

If there is a vddp option to enable currently only has standyby vddp..........

Also drive strengths and clock skews are my old pals. love having those.

I'm down. if anything bad happens I will grab another for $80 off clearance rack
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Pre-Posting edit: I notice that on your first page posts you showed the BIOS for both the B350-Prime and X370-Pro. I didn't see any "VDDP Standby Voltage" on the B350 image, but I do see it on the X370 pic... Is that perhaps the one you were thinking of accidentally? Or even, is that the one you'd rather I try modding the BIOS for?

Alright so I'll need to do some reading to confirm that this is doable, but I THINK and hope all I need to do is take the "Token" value in the "BIOS Strings" tab and place it into the "Handle" box in wherever menu I want it on the "Setup Configuration" tab, and that'll add said item into said menu. Back when I had unlocked things on my friend's MSI Laptop I do believe that's what I had done. However, the main difference between these was I was taking a Handle from one menu and moving it to another. So my in this instance is if "Token" is just a string reference only and that it won't necessarily effect the BIOS GUI option's physical abilities. (If that makes sense? In short: not sure if all I'll be doing is for example, taking "VDDCR CPU Voltage" and making it now say "VDDP Voltage", but any changes you make will still only adjust "VDDCR".)

Two interesting things next to the VDDP entry in the Strings table, is "APU Frequency" which has a "Valid Input value: 90.0MHz - 300.0MHz", which I can't help but feel might be BClk? As the next string down reads: "BCLK_Divider" with, I believe, choices of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Unlike the C6H there isn't a "BCLK Frequency" string, but there is another one for "APU Multiplier" which has a description saying it sets the multiplier between the "APU Core Clock and the APU Bus Frequency", which makes me feel like it's just a hold-over from another motherboard (possible an FM2+ system).

In other news... "lawl What?!" award of the day goes to BIOS String '0x0A6A Satellite Comm. Controller'! Congrats on your eyebrow-raising function... whatever that may be! ASUS, what are you up to over there?? lol

I'll go do some digging now into strings, menus, and handles. In the meantime, since I feel this might be the safest one to test, here's with just everything on the DRAM Timings page set to "USER" which should make it visible to you. I just hope that the 'lack of signature' on the BIOS doesn't prevent it from being flashed like my Gigabyte FM1 board with Award BIOS. Back then I had previously been modding the heck out of my 890GX AM3 board no problem, but the FM1 board employed CRC checks and as a result my modded BIOS wouldn't flash Fingers crossed (there wasn't an emote lol)
    MODDED BIOS DOWNLOAD LINK TEMPORARILY REMOVED WHILE I ATTEMPT TO FIX CRC Current findings regarding this leave me to err on the side of caution, so I don't suggest attempting a flash yet, if you've downloaded it. (Same applies to the below MkII modded BIOS)
    Last edited by Formula350; 03-31-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Did some reading, changed a whole whack of things this time. Included a changelog, found a way to dump the entire menu structure with all the settings (though it doesn't contain the reference Hex for the Strings), and also will include the Strings dump for the hell of it (which won't be of huge help w/o the reference Hex...)

Both are compressed with a Recovery Record; I practice safe packing. lol
    Same password as before. (If these flash fine and Chew deems them "safe" [or safe enough] I'll happily re-up a public one)
    BTW It might be ideal, before flashing, to rename it to remove my -Modded and -MkII suffix.
    MODDED BIOS DOWNLOAD LINK TEMPORARILY REMOVED WHILE I ATTEMPT TO FIX CRC

(Can only claim that the will apply to version 0513)
    Here's the Menus&Options and Strings dumps:
    B350-Plus_Menus+Options+Strings.zip
    No password, cuz meh, harmless txt files.
    Last edited by Formula350; 03-31-2017 at 06:01 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've been playing with bioses from s.A era, have my own custom bioses, but haven't spent much time with newer tools.
    I'm tempted to try a mod on my spare AB350 Fatal1ty. It appears all of the bioses of a given brand are almost the same, because they are still on the early productions stages and the different branches are not so different. Some things are hidden for specific boards, although it doesn't mean if you enable them they will do something.
    I'm most interested in updating AGESA from one board to another. Can't get the latest mmtool though.
    X6 1090T (1010MPMW) @ 4267MHz 1.44V NB@3229MHz 1.33V | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX2 @ 1845MHz 6-6-5-17-22 1T | Asus HD4890 @ 1050/4800 | Corsair HX850W | HAF 932
    EK Supreme HF | EK-FC4890LT | MCP655 + Koolance D5 Top | ThermoChill PA120.3 + 3x Enermax Magma | XSPC Bay res | Masterkleer 1/2" UV Red

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.nfraR.ed View Post
    Can't get the latest mmtool though.
    Here

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.nfraR.ed View Post
    I've been playing with bioses from s.A era, have my own custom bioses, but haven't spent much time with newer tools.
    I'm tempted to try a mod on my spare AB350 Fatal1ty. It appears all of the bioses of a given brand are almost the same, because they are still on the early productions stages and the different branches are not so different. Some things are hidden for specific boards, although it doesn't mean if you enable them they will do something.
    I'm most interested in updating AGESA from one board to another. Can't get the latest mmtool though.
    Yea, looking through my own MSI X370 Titanium, I was actually confused for a moment as I thought I maybe mis-labeled the ASUS B350 BIOS; however, my MSI's is way more polished in every regard. I'll admit that could be due to having opened the dump ROM instead of using the downloaded one. Either way, aside from board and vendor specific stuff, the meat of the BIOS is very similar. My Advanced DIMM area has full listings on what the timings are, compared to the ASUS which are all blank.

Quote Originally Posted by aGeoM View Post
    -_- I spent literally 2hrs trying to find a download link for that version of MMTool, but everywhere I looked, AMI had managed to get it pulled! Many thanks for that link

As for any CRC crap, I'm not quite able to find much. The best source of info I'm coming across is on the VoltGround forums and it says...

Critical: Please make sure your system is connected to the power source and you are not on battery only. Also, make sure your CPU and GPU is not overclocked/undervolted/overvolted while flashing. If they are please revert them back to default values before continuing any further. Failure to do so may prevent your system from booting properly if it has a random restart/shutdown or halt during the flashing process.

Step 5. Open AFUWIN again and this time click "Open" and select the modified BIOS you just saved in AMIBCP. Leave everything here defaulted. Just click "Flash" and allow it to finish completely.
    Step 6. Once everything is green and is complete, you can close AFUWIN and restart your system and enter the BIOS to see your additional menus unlocked.

Still think I'm going to wait for Chew to be able to dump one, simply based on this tidbit:
    As for the signed CAP. Simple workaround is dump your current BIOS (AFUWIN64) and open it up in UEFITool and you should notice the CAP is removed.

If you download any version of BIOS on ASUS support page and not make a current dump of your own, and apply hex edit changes without removing the CAP on the downloaded BIOS, then yes, you could potentially brick.

Brilliant Idiot
    Ok since microcenter is dumb and i am on a business trip I reserved two boards one in long island ( taichi ). One in Boston ( Giga K7 ).

Which board you guys want to see tortured?

I can play a tune on any trombone
    Last edited by chew*; 04-01-2017 at 12:33 AM.
    heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    Nice.

Think im gonna grab taichi. K7 is gaming 5 with refclock. So once back from rma I will still have giga.

I like variety plus can help my buddy on x370 fatality tuning and it frees up my usb wifi for multiple board testing since it has built in wifi.

More importantly my reason for long island is an old pal...single stage phase unit. Any way in boston, on my way to jersey then long island then back to R.I.....busy busy busy.
    heatware chew*

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast