Page 1 of 35 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryzen - Return of the Jedi

Brilliant Idiot

Ryzen - Return of the Jedi

First lets discuss the name choice for this thread.

AMD has a long history k7 duron tbird athlon you know the models. That said and the era up to socket 754 would be episodes 1 and 2.

Socket 939 would take place in episode 3. Meanwhile as we all know the the emperor had a nasty plan. Its been dredged up from the past and discussed in the news section. The end of episode 3 would be core 2 duo launches.

Star wars ( episode 4 ) would take place during phenom 2 deneb thuban.

Sandybridge launch up until today would be episode 5 The Empire Strikes Back.

AMD launches RYZEN ( episode 6 Return of the Jedi ).
    A competitive mainstream chip that is competitive in the real world, not just at ridiculously clocked speeds under ln2.

As we all know now episode 6 was just a battle that was won and not the war. The saga will continue lets see if it holds to that story line or not.
    Enough of my inner geek lets move on.

What is Ryzen?

Ryzen is an intelligent chip that overclocks itself dyanamically by tdp. What that means for the mainstream is they don't need to do countless hours of testing, read forums, fumble around in a bios that they have no clue what settings actually do. Eventually they end up copying someone elses settings and crash because silicon is not equal.

What does that mean for Enthusiasts?

It means we need to see if AMD left any breadcrumbs or any performance on the board that we can squeeze out of the chip since we usually ignore and exceed TDP anyway.
    Luckily that is the case. There is a breadcrumb trail and there are ways to get better performance.

The breadcrumb trail is there model list and TDP ratings. 65w 8c/16t (low leakage) 95w 8c/16t (high leakage).

To further confirm this a trait of low leakage is cooler chip. Higher leakage hotter chip.

At the identical voltage both the 1700x and 1800x are 20c hotter than the 65w 1700 at also the same voltage in my persosnal testing.

You guys may rememember TWKR that they sent out to ln2 overclockers? Failed TDP high leakage chips that ran HOT.

Another supporting factor is the LN2 results done inhouse by AMD. 1800x.

Lower leakage = better air water. Higher leakage = extreme cooling

Conclusion : Enthusiasts will most likely do best playing the silicon lottery in the 1700 flavor and or the lower tdp of the scale per core count if 6 4 or 2 is your flavor.

Use the $170 USD saved to get yourself some nice memory and some other stuff.

Performance left on the table.

First i need to explain how AMD's turbo works. Its not a typical fixed speed you ramp up to. Its dyanamic and TDP based. The higher the workload the less consistant speed it will maintain. You will see frequencies bouncing around. On top of that you will randomly see a peak frequency kick from one core to another (XFR). XFR works great in a single threaded task it will shoot right up and maintain a solid speed.

As an enthusiast dyanamic turbo and XFR is not for me but xfr can be usefull to us. It can put us in the ballpark range of what voltage our chip is going to like for 24/7 stability. Run the chip stock load cinebench, run, monitor peak voltage. Do it a few times. I saw my 1800x shoot up to 1.50v max. It likes 1.475 prime 95 stable.

Why would i do this?

As is stated while AMD may be better at ocing our chips than us we are always looking for performance. I noticed rather quickly that if i ran cinebench stock and if i ran it at 4.0 across the board 8c/16t I was beating AMD's dyanamic turbo and XFR scores in cinebench.

That said I am an enthusiast and as an enthusiast I reviewed the chip the way I would run my gaming rig 24/7.

I chose to use the 1700 as i feel it offers the best value and the best ocability on air water over stock speed. Reports floating around seem to be confirming this.

Quick look at Ryzen Master. Not much to say its software overclocking. I guess if i had time i could have checked to see if I had any better cores maybe one or a few can go a tad higher. Multiplier Increments per core are .25 which is usefull considering .25 can make a difference between prime stable and not on thses chips. Would prefer to have this option in bios though. I only use stuff like this when chasing high clocks on ln2 so i dont have to boot at high speeds which could unecessarily load chip possibly killing board and cpu.

As we can see these are my IDLE temps and clocks I will be using for the entire report.

Not the best of conditions to test in but I tore the lab apart 6 months ago after waiting for AMD for 4.5 years and shipped it home with a buddy to remodel.
    I did not think this day was going to come.

For those of you that remember me. Yes the trackball lives.

Take note that there is a fan on the PWM section and the shroud is removed. I will discuss this motherboard and other vendors boards later in this thread.
    This is a cpu review and it my responsibilty as a enthusiast and Professional Overclocker to know and solve any issues my hardware may be causing to hinder the review.

Anyone can throw clocks up run a few benches and call it stable. Its preety misleading so I usually take the time to run and show stability and temps while stress testing and the conditions I am testing in. Antartica outside in winter anyone? You get the idea. It's 74F in the house my wife likes it warm.

Prime 95 2hours in temp readings, I think now you can start to see one of the limitations. Oddly enough heat out of the heatsink feels like 40-45c. My 290x's in crossfire on water dump 50C loaded after a few hours. I'm very familiar with what the temp feels like. This feels cooler.

Prime 95 4 hours in. I decided to run some cinebench, watch the AMD stream and post on forums just to really make sure the speed was rock solid stable.

Prime 95 18 hours stable. Usually I run 24h but with the PWM being a big concern I did not want to wake up to a house fire so i killed system to get some sleep as i was way behind and had no results yet with the 1700. Needless to say I think we can call this preety stable.

System specs for all tests.

Ancient PC power and cooling 1200w single rail 100 amp PSU. ( i tested multi rail no gains no loss fan died swapped it out, fury X does 10 mhz more on single rail, cpu 0mhz )
    Sapphire R9 Fury X ( latest official driver)
    Gigabyte x370 gaming 5 ( Modified for fire prevention )
    Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 heatsink and fan ( I felt that if it came in reviewers box and it fit use it, water would have been a tad misleading for air guys...maybe )
    Kingston something or other V1 ancient 120g ssd
    Gskill 2x8g PC3200 14-14-14-34 1T XMP loaded
    WIN 10 64bit non activated non tweaked. ( ok so I downloaded a skin to make it look like win 7. sorry new OS was confusing )

I have not gotten to actual game tests due to time restrictions however I ran a full 3dmark suite down to 03. Some of those old tests the GT's are very sensitive to IPC and clock speed not to mention lower resolutions tend to be less gpu dependant which those older tests run in by default. All screenshots have GT's in the picture and we will reference them as the testing continues. This will be an ongoing report When I have time to dismantle the water loop and install steam and windows 10 on the sandy bridge for the comparison. My fury X does not throttle stock with fanspeed up so the tests should be consistant.

Benchmarks

Synthetics

AIDA 64 memory. Keep in mind I kept getting a warning so an update may be necessary. I had latest version.
    I am not an expert at analyzing scores in AIDA so im just gonna post them up.
    Quick memory and cpu test

FPU

Ray tracing

CPU zlib

Cpu queen

Cpu photo worx

Cpu hash

CPu Aes

Sisoft Sandra

Image processing. This one was cool. The result ranked #9 although I did not submit it due to NDA. I was smart enough to kill my internet when i ran it unlike others.
    Top spot is held by a 4.6 5960x and this score was hanging out with 4.2 gig chips. Im sure if I got this chip cold I could beat it and at less speed

Cryptography

Processor multimedia

Processor arithmetic

Processor multi processor effeciency

Processor finacial analysis

Processor scientific analysis

Ok so in synthetics Ryzen looks really good. In sandra we saw it trade blows with comparitively clocked cpu's.

Multithreaded

Cinebench we already know how this one does. It favors Ryzen.

Wprime. Here is one you dont know about. Ive checked scores on Hwbot 4gig untuned OS Ryzen is comparable to (I would hope tuned os) 4.3 gig intel results (8/16)

Pifast kind of a legacy test. Ran it out of curiosity. Asked my buddy on a haswell what he gets at his 4.6 OC He is in the 16's.

Moving on to 3D from the most relevant and latest ( cpu tests ) to the less relavent until we reference fps in game tests.

Time spy (I actually ran a score up to compare vs a 5690X @ 4.6 with a fury x @ almost same clocks (i had less gpu power) on hwbot. It will be competetive = clocks )

Firestrike

3d11

3dmark Vantage ( latest edition used ) old edition inflates cpu score for those that don't know. It is considered a "tweak"

3dmark 06

3dmark 05

3mark 03

That concludes the official part of the tests. I ran one unnoficial test because i know theres a few AMD enthusiasts dying to know.
    I call it unnoficial because this is not the OS to be running it in. Scores are all over the place and inconsistant but it should give you a rough idea of how much faster IPC is vs previous designs

32m pi. This is the only test I did not toss from orginal testing on the 1800x. I have not taken the time to run it since.

Conclusion.

What ryzen is.

Its a huge improvement for AMD and has put them not only back as an alternative in the mainstream desktop market but in the competitve market and I applaud them for doing what many thought was "the impossible"

What Ryzen isn't.

Ryzen is clearly not a high overclocking chip. Competitors equivalently cored chips are not high overclockers either.

Our saving grace as enthusiasts is the 1700 is a decent value and appears to be a decent overclocker ( for ryzen chips )
    Last edited by chew*; 03-02-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Brilliant Idiot
    Motherboard im using and motherboard vendor rants in general.

This board is underpowered first off. Its also a gaming 5. theres already a 7 on the site. I hope it does not share the same pwm as this one.

This board has no clock gen chip therefore bclock is locked. Who cares right? wrong. In order to extract the most performance from Ryzen you will need to clock bclok up past 100. Max memory multipler is 32 and I can not confirm but in cpu-z NB is always equal to ram. If indeed that is NB frequency to extract even more performance will require us to push the memory to beyond 3200 to get the northbridge frequency up.

Boards in general. I was benching 3d game tests at 4.2 gig. I could not pass cpu tests at 4.2. Had the board had a simple tweak it or msi oc knob or any type of button to dial the bclock frequency up during game tests and down during cpu tests I could have gotten a better result.

Unfortunately vendors have decided to screen print boards add lights and install heat trapping devices over PWM sinks that don't even adhere to the simple law of HEAT RISES.

UPDATE
    Lets rewind a little. 990FX, now I can understand that BD sucked ( yes I can say that now ) and the board could handle thuban Deneb just fine but lets look at the heat dissapation qualities.

Not bad not absolutely magical but not bad......Asus probably had the most sensible solution here with crisscross finned PWM sink.
    http://chew.ln2cooling.com/?Qwd=./blah&Qif=IMG_3751.jpg

How about crosshair 3?
    http://chew.ln2cooling.com/?Qwd=./Cr...f=IMG_1652.JPG

MSI 890
    http://chew.ln2cooling.com/?Qwd=./MS...f=fullshot.JPG

gigabyte 890
    http://chew.ln2cooling.com/?Qwd=./89...iga%20comp.jpg

gigabyte 790
    http://chew.ln2cooling.com/?Qwd=./955&Qif=IMG_1274.jpg

As we can see all these had common sense heatsinks that served a functional purpose. dissapate heat.

END

Im very dissapointed and when i was working with vendors i would reccomend at least a little common sense and funtional features that helped overclockers.

To be continued. I need some sleep. I will rattle off whatever bugs i forgot this board has when i get up and workarounds i have found to get around them.

Gigabyte G5

bclock not 100. no workaround up to bios team.

SMT disabling bug. When enabling SMT again posting and going to windows don't go Oh @#$% I think i killed my chip when threads do not come back in windows. simply shut down, power off psu till power light goes out. switch back on and boot.

UPDATE
    New workaround for SMT disabled core 0 bug with 1700 non X cpu.

Here is what the bug looks like booting with OC from bios.

WORK AROUND

CPU ratio AUTO
    Set everything else in bios as you would normally including voltages required for your known stable target cpu clock.
    Boot. Once on desktop open Ryzen Master. set all core multi to desired frequency. verify all cores is cpu-z are at target frequency.
    Yes I know this annoying but it works for now till we can fix it via multiplier from bios.

Reported. Pending bios update

END

General gigabyte post cycles. Try not to change to many settings at once. example c and q off smt off set ram speed and tune timings. Do one at a time save reboot change next. for as long as i have used gigabyte boards they still do a funky reboot cycle dance. This gets around that unless you have a serious problem. I have gotten bclock up on boards that have hated bclock changes by doing this ( p67 ) all the way up to 110. 1 step up reboot. another step reboot.

Update
    ALL VENDOR cpu-z bug. SMT disabled shows only 4c/4t tabbing the cores shows two physical and two logical. Workaround = dont use vendor cpu-z. The normal cpu-z reports it properly.

END

More info to come but i need sleep
    Last edited by chew*; 03-08-2017 at 07:10 AM.
    heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    Motherboard testing

Gigabyte x370 Gaming 5 (reviewers kit)

Take note of dimm placement. Slots 2/4 will offer the best compatibility when only using 2 sticks.

OK I may not post everywhere but I read a lot of forums so time to post some info.

First off flashing bios. flash stock never oced, if ram is a pain to tune pull 1 stick when you flash. it will be more stable less chance of corruption.

After flashing successfully and posting I like To PSU the system off no power no lights pull battery jump clear cmos pin.

Now onto the bios and really the only important voltages you need worry about.

If voltage offsets is your thing you must have normal setting on cpu vcore and vcore soc

I don't use them but whatever.

Moving on

What is SOC? Think of it like the old NB voltage. use it to stabilize IMC ( 4 dims or higher than 3200 ). Range you want to be in on air/water is 1.0-1.2. silicon dependant. this board defaults at 1.1

vcore self explanatory

dram volts self explanatory

dram termination should always equal to half of your dram volts.

LLC this board on air water I recommend high on both settings and dropping SOC to 1.0

Anyway you should end up with something like this

ASUS Prime B350-PLUS $79.96 clearance rack open box buy (Microcenter)

Detailed videon on settings voltages temps etc etc.
    https://youtu.be/yrjxZQOoAdY

Final thoughts and conclusion on B350
    https://youtu.be/ZAm-2NX_3mU

Take note of dimm placement. Slots 2/4 will offer the best compatibility when only using 2 sticks on this board.

Board seems limited to about 1.50v can only set via offsets ( I hate offsets )

Probably a smart move considering it's only a 4+2 phase arrangement.

I would not recommend prime 95 or comparable stress tests on this or probably any B350 board currently available.

You can get about 1.475v load with these settings. Vid dependant though vcore is maxxed in this shot they do not want you pushing it to hard.

I'm probably going to get a strongly worded message for recommending these settings on this board lol........Hi Gary

ASUS PRIME X370 PRO $159.99 NIB (microcenter)

Detailed video going over voltages bios settings temps etc etc.
    https://youtu.be/7dK0fJNH_Gg

Solder pads. Left SOC +/- Right VCORE +/-

Grounds on right side of pads. Positive on left sides of pads.

Soldered to a spare molex extender for ease of use. YMMV.

CH6 $244.99 Microcenter in store pickup and one hell of adventure to finally get one.....

How to OC basics and how to use 32g memory with C6H

https://youtu.be/yAiW3IO-cIQ

Asrock Taichi $213 with tax and a journey to long island ny microcenter.

Currently i am dubbing this board the dual rank dimm champ. Look at that sexy set of 32gb sticks in that board. Tweak to get them working? Take pics of board with them installed

Taichi unbox contents and impressions
    https://youtu.be/8PmSPaJO10Q

Taichi OC basics and how to get 2x16g DR working
    https://youtu.be/MwM7HmREc5Y

Stability testing 120 ref clock. Passive cooling VRM is realistic 50c average 55c peak worst case scenario testing.

Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7 $228 with tax in store pickup Long island Ny.

K7 unbox contents and impressions. Compare to gaming 5.
    https://youtu.be/WzpekD3mbFo

How to OC basics K7 and 3600 ram
    https://youtu.be/smjIH-FbW0o

Stability testing 120 ref clock. VRM runs extremely hot. 80c average 93c peak in worst case scenario testing..
    Highly suggest actively cooling VRM.

Msi X370 Xpower Titanium$262 with tax $20 mail in rebate. Open box buy Queens Ny.

Titanium unbox contents and impressions
    https://youtu.be/oh0tvWfwmes

Temp testing load in prime and dmm testing which i will have to redo...meter caught a shadow.
    https://youtu.be/E9yook-cIcA
    video 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-ixDDzI2k

Stability testing 3.9 100 ref 3200 ram.
    Boarder line passive cooling acceptable with 73c peak and 65C average vrm temps in worst case scenario
    You could get away without actively cooling this vrm but I would recommend sticking a small fan over it.
    Highlighted system temp which was equivalent to IR reading on back of board behind VRM ( in other versions the system temp is called motherboard temp )

Retested with Active cooling over VRM. Pulled temps down considerably.

Biostar GT7 On loan from zeneffect $179? newegg bought board

Unbox thoughts etc etc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut6715MmWzw

Settings etc etc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gq8IOp90oQ

Testing temps voltage etc etc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1LkqkK16CI]

Retesting official bios for a bug
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFay8uHw-OU
    Last edited by chew*; 05-21-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    Ryzen General Info and Guide

What we know about Ryzen so far.

Memory = high speed low latency 3200 or better. In my testing memory performance with tight timing (10-12-12-28 2t, 10-13-13-28-1T) and 2400 speeds was poor.

Timings not much to play with right now you have 5. You cant even adjust trc or command rate. This should change in the near future.

Bios is boring....nothing to turn off except leds

Bclck or ref clock matters. Board choice for this matters.
    Solution buy a board with bclock adjustment

UPDATE

( Courtesy of Elmor )
    This is confirmed even more so now and a workaround for rather low memory bandwidth.

Lamans terms it tricks subtimings we lack access to into running tighter.

2400 set in bios bclock up to get ram up to speeds of 3200-3400

My own personal testing in 32m pi confirms this.

Base 100

Realistic ref clock

Excessive ref clock and really not worth the gains over a moderate ref clock.

END

There appears to be a memory hole.(courtesy of massman)

Solution
    Make sure when running in 3400+ range if you can that performance has not gone down. If having trouble with say 3450-3550 posting push up to 3600>
    Im not sure which symptom is present as I lack a board with bclock adjustment.

-80 coldbug related to memory speed goes away full pot. (courtesy of massman)

Solution
    DI reccomend 2400-2666 mem speeds. (courtesy of massman)
    For ln2 just keep your memory speed low till you hit max temps.

PWM design matters. Board matters.

In my personal experience the chips do not like over 1.50v air.

The chips appear to be very resillient even at the excessive load temps overclocked.

Update

Hexus ran smt disabled gaming tests good read and expected that outcome. Next question was it turbo related or will we see more gains with fixxed cpu speed vs turbo/xfr.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/10...nm-zen/?page=9

UPDATE

Can Ryzen run 32gb of memory? Yes

With selective board choice and memory and selective configurations per selected board you can get it running at even rated speeds and timings.

Example
    https://youtu.be/aXHlTMKyse8
    Last edited by chew*; 05-07-2017 at 06:09 AM.
    heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    Reserved 4 Extreme Overclocking

Part 1 phase change

R7 1700
    1.45v

R5 1400

1.4v

Improved time...crazy latency/speed

Not much left to extract from this chip at this speed.......

1800x

screwed around with the 1800x on phase.

NO BIAS

improved my 4.6 fixed speed 32m time.

Last edited by chew*; 05-22-2017 at 08:15 PM.
    heatware chew*

More like rise of the Padowan AMD have never reached the level of Jedi, come close a few times, but never quite got there. Heres hoping Zen makes them Jedi, we need a hero to stand against the dark forces of the intel Sith lords!

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Brilliant Idiot
    Context matters. When report goes live it will make more sense.
    heatware chew*

I will watch you :P
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gonna be a long 38 minutes...
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good to know we can rely on XS for proper coverage, of the two Chinese sites that jumped the gun on the NDA one didn't bother overclocking at all and the other one just overclocked it to 4GHz without even talking about the cooling solution, voltage or anything else..

Still rocking a GA-MA790FXT-UD5P but did upgrade from a C2 955 to a 1090T about 18 months ago.

Have a set of OCZ Animals floating around here somewhere also thanks to Chew.

It's time to upgrade!

Brilliant Idiot
    I might add I referenced a score I was chasing a timespy score on hwbot for a comparison vs a 5960x. I tossed the best one away I guess at 6090 ish the target was 6170 ish iirc.

Whatever the case compare cpu score in review to this for scaling and once you do that you will see that I was doing CPU tests at 4.1 on the gaming 5.

Myth busted

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...pssyodtvvl.jpg

UPDATE

As I had mentioned I ran a compare off the above, that was me just testing HBM scaling saving shots, its not worth much but if you run it in relation to core its worth something especially if you can't match someone elses core speed which is worth quite a bit. I claimed it was competitive but it's the internet anyone can SAY anything.

Anyway here you go. David vs goliath with a considereable clock disadvantage. Its not my intention to claim a hardware top score, submit score ( I changed my password on purpose to something I would not remember years ago ) and the ranking has like 7 scores...nothing spectacular for someone who is in pro league on hw bot or whatever class I was in.....

Intention and methods of cooling were something avg guys can do. Gave fury x an ice bucket challenge fought with a coldbug loading temps up before launching bench to at least come close to matching his gpu core. ( this card sux )

Tops score

screenshot of score
    http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...psmb910uw5.jpg

Ryzen result. Note the cpu score. I'm seeing scaling of about 200+ per 100 MHz
    http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/...psaeveftfu.jpg
    Last edited by chew*; 07-17-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    heatware chew*

u got AMD WR in Superpi now
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme Addict
    Your review has so many more benchmarks than mine lol looks good man I am glad to hear I wasn't the only one with board issues. For those curious the chvi is as bad if not worse.

Oh and here are my current feelings on the asus board.

It died.
    Last edited by cdawall; 03-02-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Pie assassin
    very nice review Brian!
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Xtreme XIP
    Thank you Chew for sharing your findings , well done and good job. I will keep coming and going into this tread. Keep up the good work , keep pushing ( As Oliver used to say )

Xtreme Member
    Thumbs up!
    Realy nice Review Chew*

FX-9370 @ 4.7 GHz @ 1,44 V | NB @ 2286 MHz @ 1,21V
    32 GB 1600 CL11 1,5V @ 846 MHz @ CL 9-9-9 @ 1,4V
    MORA 2 + Laing D5 + 9 x 120mm @ 5V
    Gigabyte GA-970A UD3 Rev. 1.2
    XFX HD7750 2GB Core Edition
    Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

Xtreme Addict
    @cdawall, you killed it!, how in the heck did you do that?

@chew, only 5 mem timings avail?
    When looknig through guru3d's review I saw teh same on the asus board, but there was also an advanced timing section..
    I wonder if that is just clock skews or something...

@ket
    Sure there was a jedi, once, long ago and what seems like a far away galaxy...
    It was called the K7.
    It lost it's path, and went to the dark side during the bull- years..
    Now it's back, though it never really recovered it seems...
    I dn whatever lol :P.

I do like the results so far, the mem bandwidth is quite good looking.
    The clocks are ok for those upgrade from thuban, in my opinion.
    I don't like the idea it's 2 chips soldered together :\, a big wtf on that (what is this a p4 dual core... ???).
    There's other things so far from what I've read that seems odd.

I believe the next rev's will be better.
    Though it may take a long time before they get released.
    But so far, pretty decent.
    I gotta say though, wth on the mem timings :\.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Chew really good review.

If you had your choice of board and memory. Which would you or others choose?

Would you risk high rated memory and tighten timings?
    System:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe 2600K 4.8Ghz 5970 4GB Corsiar GT 2000 Areca 1880i & Corsair F40 and 2 Intel 80 Watercooled DDC 120.3

Brilliant Idiot
    Currently the asus is supposed to be good. I have not tested hands on so really can not say. It does look like they will rehash it toss a few more compnents on the existing pcb hero is on and call it a formula.

I have noticed a few things. Think guru ran an oc in timespy @4.1 oddly enough the cpu score at 4.1 is my cpu score in review @ 3990. Mine at 4.1 is higher. Also that was alot of volts for 4.1 but that could be silicon related.

I know i would not use the g5 overclocked in a case with a 95w chip. That is out of the question unless active cooling is over pwm.

3600 15-15-15 is most likely same as pc3200 14-14-14 maybe even better. Can probably draw in timings on one and loosen timings on the other set
    heatware chew*

Thx Chew

Fantastic in depth stuff exactly what i was looking for and found thx to you

So assume the g5 is not a good board then?

Keep up the great work

Brilliant Idiot
    I would definitely stay away from it oced 95w chip.

65w 8c/16t borderline when overclocked

Probably handle a 65w 6c/12t with no issues whatsoever.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very enjoyable read Chew, thanks for the review.

I don't know if it will be much help to people, but remember the IC list at http://ramlist.i4memory.com/ ? Well it's been down since around June 2016, anyway I found an archive of it from that date and put it into spreadsheet (looks exactly the same) and added more sets of ram over the last week, with details of IC's, once I've finished it I'll share it.
    Last edited by Nelly; 03-02-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I would definitely stay away from it oced 95w chip.

65w 8c/16t borderline when overclocked

Probably handle a 65w 6c/12t with no issues whatsoever.
    Maybe not with an big watercooling^^
    Fan on picture is a normal 120mm fan

FX-9370 @ 4.7 GHz @ 1,44 V | NB @ 2286 MHz @ 1,21V
    32 GB 1600 CL11 1,5V @ 846 MHz @ CL 9-9-9 @ 1,4V
    MORA 2 + Laing D5 + 9 x 120mm @ 5V
    Gigabyte GA-970A UD3 Rev. 1.2
    XFX HD7750 2GB Core Edition
    Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

Brilliant Idiot
    That sir is awsome. I was trying to open that in my memory endeavors.
    heatware chew*

Page 1 of 35 123411 ... LastLast