Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1724252627

Thread: Ryzen - Return of the Jedi

Brilliant Idiot
    The issue is not phase count but the fets used on 90% of b350 have poor reliability and poor effeciency @ higher temps.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Crunch-Fu Adept
    I did try SOC voltage in the range of 0.9-1.2V. No change. The issue, or at least the only thing which affects the problem is memory multiplier. 3200 is unstable - applications / computation-scripts crash or produce errors within hours. On 2933 they produce errors within days. (Last time it borked my VM snapshots. Thank god for backups.) So far highest reliable multi was 2666. I am on Gskill 3600C16 B-die memory.
    Sometimes a good slap in the face is all you need

Bios my arss.....
    I can fix this problem with a hardware mod....
    Hipro5

"Overclock till death. Overclocking is life." Hipro5

Brilliant Idiot
    ahh I don't have that bin in gskill but I do have it in geil. That XMP or SPD needs some bios love imo on ryzen still.
    heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    This is a very very usefull overclocking guide for Ryzen users. The only thing I noticed that may have been understated is the benefit of using VDDP....however the board used in this demo lacked vddp adjustment and in fact i have the board and can not find vddp @ the socket...

https://youtu.be/vZgpHTaQ10k

So other than the lack of vddp which a useable safe range imo is .900-1.2v for 24/7...awesome video.

I will go on to state....for extreme overclockers...more than 1.45 vddr can be used for "benching" but....pay attention to your chips behavior.

Your cpu will tell you when it is unhappy. 54/55 post code = I am not happy...push harder and break IMC....look in mirror say i am an idiot and blame yourself.

Don't RMA chip and blame AMD.
    Last edited by chew*; 05-14-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    Maybe things will get interesting now......

heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Maybe things will get interesting now......

looks like dfi boards can rest now.

Brilliant Idiot
    screwed around with the 1800x on phase.

improved my 4.6 fixed speed 32m time.

ran cinebench real quick bias was "off" just testing stability on phase...

heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    Updated front page motherboard section with Biostar GT7 testing etc etc etc......

Been busy with work and 32m pi and not really much else new info to discuss except new asus bios has higher straps added.....
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    The C6H supports up to DDR4-4000 now I'm told. Here's hoping the Taichi gets a similar UEFI update!

Brilliant Idiot
    Bored so I fired up the race car today.....even no boost she is a handful....( boost to atmosphere ) watch the tires and counter steer.

Neighbor let off with a 9 in his backyard other night off white house in background ...set the two step and wot box low....can't let him show me up..

Last edited by chew*; 05-21-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Took a break from futzing, wasn't anything interesting happening BIOS wise with my Titanium, besides more problems. :P BUT that's all changed, as you saw with your Gigabyte BIOS! MSI rolled out 1.72 BETA a couple days ago for the Titanium and it also has DDR4-4000, SubTiming control, and an interestingly-named "CLDO_VDDP" option (dunno if it was available by default, I mod the BIOS right out of the gate so I made sure it was unhidden). Not only that, but it fixed my Cold/Warm boot issues at 3200 that had been present since BIOS v1.2 (worked fine on shipping v1.10), so I'm very happy!

I played around a bit yesterday to see what I could get my TridentZ 2x8 3200 15-15-15-35 B-Die kit to do.
    Things of Note: they fixed the odd-numbered tCL issue, so I can finally run 3200 at 15-15-15! Also there seems to be little or no memory bandwidth impact from using CR 2T, not like there was back with DDR1 and Athlon X2's (back then I gained 1000mb/s running at 1T!). Whether or not real world usage sees any impact, I dunno... AIDA tests all appear normal though, even the Latency.
    As far as managing more speed, beings I have absolutely no clue what to set timings at in order to squeeze more out of stuff (my past DDR3 system had only the basic 10 timings to adjust), so everything has been on Auto (and set to the 3200 XMP profile won't even POST anymore heh) :\ I just used MSI's built-in preset "Memory Try It !" settings to see what would work, which they apply the main timings and DRAM voltage.
    - (Preset) 3333 at 16-18-18-36 1T 1.36V (1.376V actual) worked fine, and even works at non-preset "Auto Everything" of 16-15-15-35 2T (its set to 1T, but isn't using it according to CPUz)
    - (Non Preset) 3466 at 17-17-17-38 2T 1.4V (1.408V) worked...... once. For the life of me I'm unable to get it to POST again. Weird, since everything was on Auto the first time...

- Preset-3466 did not work, since it sets CR 1T, but the two preset's timings are 16-18-18-38 and 18-20-20-39, 1.4V. Even if set to 2T and/or 1.45V, it still won't POST.
    - Preset 3600 did not work either, same reasons and timings as above.

The CPU-NB(SoC) voltage auto-adjusts to 1.15V when selecting higher DDR speeds, and I assume that's either how the AGESA is programmed or is a recommendation by AMD, as an ASUS user reported the same thing happening to him.

I DID have enough sense to take screenshots of the timings pages, so I could try applying the sub-timings manually from that single successful 3466 boot; however, I doubt it'll help any. So here they are, in case someone else can use them as reference to try getting their systems working at higher speeds by setting their own relaxed timings based on these:
    DDR4-3200 @ 15-15-15-35 1T 1.35V (1.36V actual):

DDR4-3333 @ 16-15-15-35 1T? 1.36V (1.375V actual):

DDR4-3466 @ 17-17-17-38 2T 1.4V (1.408V actual):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brilliant Idiot
    I worked on it...boards a tad slow for my taste in certain benchmarks.

Before

It really gave me a hard time today....i definitely did not feel like i was in a state of ZEN.
    After

3333 i had to edit cpu-z...blank no clue, don't care.

Least it got faster...some went backwards in performance
    Last edited by chew*; Today at 05:41 PM.
    heatware chew*

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1724252627