Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2128293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryzen - Return of the Jedi

Xtreme Member
    LOL Virgin Mary 2. "Because if she were any tighter, she'd be a guy!"

So I've gone back to the start, working on getting 3200 to pass AIDA Stress on Auto everything except GearDown Disabled and 15-15-15-35 1T. RAM is set at 1.35V (1.36V actual) and CPU-NB is set to 0.960V (I get the feeling the board reading is wrong and I need to look at what the Ryzen readings show which is 0.956V and 0.950V under load [same as the MOSFET reading]). Only other change was I looked at the LLC stuff and I disabled the "DRAM Phase Control" option which says it would adjust the phases in use based on the DRAM Load, which I figured may be beneficial to my cause (I've been running with the Power Control set to "Current Balance", and left that set as well).
    However, I still don't like what I'm seeing in HWiNFO's sensor readings... DRAM Voltage generally is 1.360V, but occasionally will dip to 1.344V for a moment, and I get the feeling that can't help matters.
    Just ran the stress test and it still fails *sigh* Guess I'll try increasing CPU-NB a bit more. There aren't any WHEA errors though, so I assume it's not memory/timings related?

Anyways,that's not what I'm here for really... I've still be looking into Windows 10 Timings and after running for about a week with HPET on in the BIOS but off in Windows with the Perf Timer basically always reading 3.320MHz... something odd happened when I turned it back on just now and rebooting. Now it reads 14.318MHz! o_0 I find that odd since before turning HPET off in Windows and BIOS, it was reading 3.580MHz. If this holds up and is the same every reboot then I'd have to conclude that for whatever reason, the Ryzen Master batch file that turns it on, hasn't really applied it (despite confirming with BCDEdit that it is infact turned on). *shrug*

I also found "WinTimerTester v1.1" which will tell me if it does in fact change (since I'm not really trusting CPU-Z's Report txt), and allow me to test to see if things are still in sync after using K17TK (referring to timing drift). Currently everything is good, but I haven't changed clocks, so I'd expect it would be. More importantly are benchmark results are the same between whether HPET is Off or On in Windows (at boot-clocks).

EDIT: Welp, color me confused. After setting P0 FID to 38x, there's no timing drift, all the timings show normal (the same), yet AIDA's scores go out of whack (which doesn't happen with using Ryzen Master to change the multi). Pi though? It actually doesn't change. It performs with the same speed with FID @ 39x as it does after booting with the CPU Boosting to 3.9GHz. Makes me want to conclude that Windows is fine, it's the specific software that are somehow at fault. I CAN say that if I change the Timer Resolution from 15.6ms to 1ms, then my Pi score changes (becomes slower actually, by about +0.600sec), but AIDA doesn't. So I officially give up trying to make sense of that
    Last edited by Formula350; 06-19-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Brilliant Idiot
    Just a heads up.

Some rumour got started about a B2 revision ryzen...

I asked the powers that be if this was true...

It is false...there is no B2 Ryzen...
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Brilliant Idiot
    This is as aggressive as you can get on TAICHI.........you must have extremely good sticks......I am not referring to bin/speed/price I am referring to you need a lucky or binned set.......

Some of my other sets can not run this tight......I will make more conservative but performance oriented profiles later.....

Here is an image of timings at there tightest for those that want to dial them down themselves..........

virgin mary v2.txt

Bios profile...........Rename to .BIN
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Give these a try... Got them from an Indonesian AGESA 1.0.0.6 timing tutorial/review thing. Pretty sure they were using the Taichi as well, but I'd have to try and find the review again to know for sure...
    Red = Tighter; Blue = Looser; Yellow = Don't think you can change; Green = Likely irrelevant.

(I made it reading-friendly, cuz the contrast in the RTC isn't that great and a birch to read. I think next time I'll use 150% instead of 200...)

What's your AIDA Cachemem results at that speed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Virgin Marty (easy reading).jpg 
Views:	1395 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	132359  

Brilliant Idiot
    Those are most likely not 24/7...12-11-11 is relegated to 2933 or less stable or benching.

Trfc is tricky...love to see the 32m pi times....i bet they are slow.

Trc 40...almost 100% guaranteed slow.

At the prime stable speeds? Aida is meh but...53k/52k/50k 70-64 latency...boot and or run dependant...it is so random tbh...
    Last edited by chew*; 06-20-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    haha Yea they didn't run anything like that. They were gearing for memory bandwidth and only using GeekBench3, so I can't even really say whether or not the gains were good or not. It ended on a Multi-Core memory score of 7676, which was an improvement of something like 1200 points from their baseline test. No clue about stability, though lol

Brilliant Idiot
    Yah that is more like...did it crash during benchmark or screenshot? No. Stability!!
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Just a heads up.

Some rumour got started about a B2 revision ryzen...

I asked the powers that be if this was true...

It is false...there is no B2 Ryzen...
    Someone posted this, obviously not exactly proof but interesting
    https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...2#post-3680438
    Epyc B2:
    http://www.usb.org/kcompliance/view/...l=/kcompliance
    Ryzen B1:
    http://www.usb.org/kcompliance/view/...l=/kcompliance
    With the rumor coming from CanardPC I'd tend to believe it, maybe different contacts saying different things.(?)
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 06-21-2017 at 08:04 AM.
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    You just answered you own question....is EPYC Ryzen? No..
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team
    You just answered you own question....is EPYC Ryzen? No..
    Well, the rumor to begin with never said "Ryzen", just "Zen" ... if sites or people are running with "Ryzen" and "B2" then of course they're wrong but it seems the rumor that a B2 stepping exists is true. Whether that gets filtered through the Ryzen line is a different story. I just wanted to be clear as your post saying there is no B2 Ryzen has already been shared and sort of taken out of context as a lot of these talks are stemming from the CanardPC tweet

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/stat...93860946468865
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 06-21-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    Zen = Ryzen...= consumer..

Summit ridge is ryzen...

Naples is not...naples is EPYC.

Also...if you read bug fix...common sense applies well here.

Once again...no Ryzen B2....send a letter to AMD austin if you want to argue..I am just the messenger.
    Last edited by chew*; 06-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team
    Zen = Ryzen...= consumer..

Summit ridge is ryzen...

Naples is not...naples is EPYC.

Also...if you read bug fix...common sense applies well here.

Once again...no Ryzen B2....send a letter to AMD austin if you want to argue..
    1. Zen = Summit Ridge + Naples + more, see the EPYC presentation, this is like saying there are no Bulldozer-based Opterons but we obviously know there were Bulldozer and Piledriver based Opterons (Interlagos / Abu Dhabi) which had C0 steppings. The similar connection you'd be making would be "Bulldozer = Zambezi / Piledriver = Vishera", in that case, but there are other platforms...

2. Yeah, Summit Ridge is Ryzen, that is the name for the DT platform, but "Zen" applies to many things. CPC was careful not to use "Summit Ridge" or "Ryzen"

3. Yes

4. There are no public errata / product revision guide for Zen yet, so no I can not read bug fix.

Okay, so no Ryzen (Consumer) B2 right now but I think you're missing my point. Everyone and their cousin was/is under the impression that AMD is using the same dies for Naples / EPYC in an MCM, even past Opterons shared steppings /revisions with the Desktop platform so it is easy for people to confuse the broader "Zen" with Naples, Summit Ridge, and assume Ryzen etc. The only reason I posted in this thread was to clarify that if B2 exists, it is being used in Naples.

I've seen a couple articles like a TPU article claiming "Summit Ridge" B2, which is wrong as you said, since you asked, but still most likely these are just wrong assumptions based on the CPC tweet that only said "Zen". There were what seemed to be B1 Engineering Samples for Naples and ThreadRipper so I can understand why people are getting them all confused.

As far as sending a letter to AMD Austin, come on man. Read what I'm saying for what it is. Just trying to help clear things up.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 06-21-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    There is no help needed to clear up...

I stated what i was allowed to state.

There in no B2 Ryzen...

Accept it or do not...no need for a dicussion or a debate.

I mentioned it was a rumour that was false. XS chose to delete it as news...

Simple...choice.

Believe or do not believe but do not debate.
    Last edited by chew*; 06-21-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team
    There is no help needed to clear up...

I stated what i was allowed to state.

There in no B2 Ryzen...

Accept it or do not...no need for a dicussion or a debate.

I mentioned it was a rumour that was false. XS chose to delete it as news...

Simple...choice.

Believe or do not believe but do not debate.
    I have clearly agreed with you however you continue to insinuate that I somehow do not, or that I choose to defy reality for some reason completely unbeknownst to you.

I explained why the original rumor was most likely morphed into the news stories / other rumors that you are addressing, I was unaware initially that people were twisting CanardPC's words - I read it straight from the tweet, but in the past two posts, since I've seen the TPU news article and etc, I wanted to make sure that it is clear TO OTHERS what you are addressing before they call CanardPC out for statements which are true. Other reposts that used modified language ie. "Summit Ridge" and "Ryzen" are what you were addressing and yes they are false.

As CanardPC wrote, there is obviously a Zen B2 stepping. Not specifically for Ryzen? Okay.

We can go at this all day, but I will not respond further. I don't know how you can read my last post and actually think I'm disagreeing with you.
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    Its not that...you realize i can only say what i can say even if i know more..

You should know this by now.

I offered what info i could.

That info = No B2 Ryzen.

Other than that...i do not confirm or deny anything beyond that.
    Last edited by chew*; 06-21-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team
    Its not that...you realize i can only say what i can say even if i know more..

You should know this by now.

I offered what info i could.
    Fair answer. The reason I stepped in to say anything was because your post was already screencapped and shared on other forums, and we all know how quickly stuff spreads and changes with people rephrasing. Rumor spread like a game of telephone and you rightfully called BS at the end of the line with specific regards to Ryzen.

With multiple versions of this rumor going around and the wording involved, I felt it would be good to be 100% clear, but I do understand that when you ask certain people things specifically, sometimes you must answer certain things specifically and we weren't on the same page.

Carry on.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Fair answer. The reason I stepped in to say anything was because your post was already screencapped and shared on other forums, and we all know how quickly stuff spreads and changes with people rephrasing. Rumor spread like a game of telephone and you rightfully called BS at the end of the line with specific regards to Ryzen.
    I agree, that's why I screenshotted it instead of just recounting it. Granted, my own speculation was injected, but I only used the term Ryzen, so any "Telephone" occurring will not be at my (or chew's) expense

Continue with the screencap usage and you'll nix Telephone from happening, or at least delay, since it's kinda bound to happen... heh

Brilliant Idiot
    I was reading a mexican or spanish forum...apparently somehow the story turned into B2 Ryzen = second coming of christ.

Others...intel guys were rejoicing at the fake news...

Why its important to kill rumours like bugs..
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team
    I was reading a mexican or spanish forum...apparently somehow the story turned into B2 Ryzen = second coming of christ.

Others...intel guys were rejoicing at the fake news...

Why its important to kill rumours like bugs..
    Yeah, there is BS about this all over the web now. I like to call it the wccftech effect. Seems some are always trying to break a story first with the catchiest wording for web traffic $$$, sometimes even if its clear that the article is BS within 30 seconds of research.

I had only seen the original CPC rumor, then read Formula 350's post at [H] because it was posted to reddit r/AMD, quickly realized a mass amount of people had already taken CPC's "Zen" and made it "Summit Ridge" and "Ryzen" so you were right to squash that.

Issue is just rumor mongers playing telephone and interchanging important terms.
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    pc 3200 aggressive profile.....most trident z can probably do this.......model number in screenshot....

I will be honest I did not run prime 24h.....was not necessary its same settings as previous but down clocked 200mhz for lesser quality dimms.........

profile rename .BIN
    pc 3200.txt
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    FYI, i can confirm the B2 stepping for Zen aka Naples. lol. not Ryzen. AMD's pre-release CPUs are B2 stepping for the Naples/Epyc platform. there. put the Ryzen stuff to rest now.

people are stupid.
    Heat: 50 - 0 - 0 under "Argus333"

Brilliant Idiot
    os2wiz,

As far as strix goes...if its using b350 vrm ported over...no real interest in it for me...originally we thought it borrowed prime pro vrm..no clue yet...the one review on it is absolutely useless.
    Last edited by chew*; 06-21-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Hope this helps...

Prime B350

Strix B350

Prime X370

Strix X370
    Last edited by aGeoM; 06-22-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Changed Prime B350 image

Brilliant Idiot
    It looks like strix 370 = prime 370...need the hood popped over vrm to be 100%.

B350 version we knew already.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Itty bitty bit of progress made on my side in learning about my system.
    Was at pretty much everything auto except DDR@3200 1.35V, 15-15-15-35 1T and CPU-NB 0.9625 (0.956V HWiNFO reading on SVI2 TFN).

When starting Prime on 14GB Blend it would almost immediately start erroring on worker threads (random), and cores were dropping like flies. Kept monitoring HWiNFO and kept re-running it so it'd load all the cores, and I noticed a pattern finally. When CPU-NB was at .950V that's when the errors started... System didn't stabilize until enough threads were dumped and it returned to .956V!
    I rebooted, bumped CPU-NB to .975V (0.969V reading) and re-ran the test.... Sure it's only 10minutes in, but all worker threads still chugging away at 100%. CPU-NB only drooped to .962V which seems to have confirmed my suspicion of that being the culprit!

Small victory, but a victory nonetheless. If it'll indeed continue to pass, then I think I can start to get back to tweaking since I'll finally have a baseline that passes :P

Pre-posting update: 15mins in and Test 1 just ticked on all the workers

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2128293031323334 ... LastLast