Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryzen - Return of the Jedi

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by AMD_OCer View Post
    I believe you lol... but check post 31 on here: https://hardforum.com/threads/post-y...peeds.1927366/
    Well couple issues i have with his testing. Lack of stabilty tests used...

Prime x370 pro i have tested with 4 chips 2933 is max stable in prime 95 80-90% ram allocated custom blend test. 4 sets of memory tested...20 min tops...= fail...rounding errors..even with stock cpu speeds..

The same memory running 3200 14-14-14 with 32gb....or 16gb configs fine on taichi and ch6 pass stability testing.

All can "run" @ 3200 in benhmarks...

Lack of SOC and vdimm mentioned...

I have yet to determine the why....the board is a thorn in my side...great board other than that issue...prime b350 plus...same issue...interestingly the pwm for memory is almost identical minus one fet....coincidence?

gaming 5 was stable @ 3200
    Last edited by chew*; 04-14-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Swapping a CPU while having the exact same MB and RAM with diff results kind of tells me either the BIOS is messed up or something else we dont know. Its beyond logical at this point. But with BIOSes making a day and night diff from one day to the other, what can you do.

btw I cannot find Trident Z DDR4-3400 CL16 where I live, so not an option for me right now, unless I get it shipped directly from the US

Quote Originally Posted by Formula350 View Post
    XS is old school, but this is the easiest way, just copy and paste this:

Thanks for your work chew*, you're the best!

lol
    I know: just chose a different way to say it.

Brilliant Idiot
    Swapping a CPU while having the exact same MB and RAM with diff results kind of tells me either the BIOS is messed up or something else we dont know. Its beyond logical at this point. But with BIOSes making a day and night diff from one day to the other, what can you do.

btw I cannot find Trident Z DDR4-3400 CL16 where I live, so not an option for me right now, unless I get it shipped directly from the US
    I got like really lucky with my set. Newegg wanted like $300 + microcenter does not list it in stock....but they have them...this 32g set was open box on cleareance for $188....cheaper than i can order pc 3600 15-15-15 2x8g...
    heatware chew*

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I got like really lucky with my set. Newegg wanted like $300 + microcenter does not list it in stock....but they have them...this 32g set was open box on cleareance for $188....cheaper than i can order pc 3600 15-15-15 2x8g...
    Since am getting a 1700 (rather than 1700x or 1800x), memory would be the most expensive component right now for me. And since it has proven to offer significant gains over 2400, I think its worth the premium... if it works that is....

Chew: btw, and since I dont have a Ryzen yet to test, is the XFR active one a single core (like most reviews state) or is it really working on all cores?

For others:
    I really like the 1700, I mean we guarantee a clock of 3.7Ghz based on the fact that it boosts up to these levels. I think most of the disappointments so far are with the 1800x as far as OCing, especially that it hits a barrier around 4.0 to 4.1.

To me, the 1700x and 1800x are actually not for OCers, but for those who want a plug it and play without any tweaks, and the XFR just points to that direction.

That said, I rather have a 1700 at 3.7 or 3.9 Ghz on all cores 24/7 than some XFR kicking in here and there for a short while. The price diff is not minor. Put that diff in memory clocked at 3200-3600 with CL 14 and we should gain more performance than a 1800x out of the box running at a lower RAM (below 3000).

Brilliant Idiot
    Being grass roots and enthusiast its exactly why i reviewed the 1700 chip. Im not a review site or paid and AMD is very easy going with me...they basically let me be the judge and do as i wish. Unlike them i have my eyes and ears closer tuned to the community as well...i see a want for 32gig of ram i look into it.

Anyway i was unimpressed with 1800x even though max frequency is higher stock or oced than my 1700.

My 1700x is preety much a dud (3.8stable).

I am most impressed by chips that gain the most total...3.0 to 3.9 is nice....3.6 to 4.0 ehhh not exciting.

Anyway xfr bounces core to core as does turbo. Only time it will stick is say a single threaded app. It will latch on to that one core and run 4.1 on 1800x providing chip is kept cool.

Preety much 1800x imo is for ln2 top results or stock users. Plop it in set memory speed and enjoy.

1700 at 3.9 all core oc will kick a stock 1800x azz in cinebench just because of the way dynamic tdp controlled turbo works..
    Last edited by chew*; 04-15-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    heatware chew*

RAIDer
    Yep you got it...

Ch6 current test is
    Flare X 3200 14-14-14 2x8gb
    Trident-z 3200 14-14-14 2x8gb

Could be bios tuning board tuning trace layout component choice....

Both are acchieved via 2666 divider and 120 ref clock however...and both require a procedure...

I need some advice oc memory higher than 3200 using Asrock. I have Asrock fatality pro gaming. Almost same as Taichi.

I can do 3200 cl 14-13-13-13 easy with both my kits. Corsair 4000 2xgb and g.skill 3600 cl15 2x8gb.

Being grass roots and enthusiast its exactly why i reviewed the 1700 chip. Im not a review site or paid and AMD is very easy going with me...they basically let me be the judge and do as i wish. Unlike them i have my eyes and ears closer tuned to the community as well...i see a want for 32gig of ram i look into it.

Anyway i was unimpressed with 1800x even though max frequency is higher stock or oced than my 1700.

My 1700x is preety much a dud (3.8stable).

I am most impressed by chips that gain the most total...3.0 to 3.9 is nice....3.6 to 4.0 ehhh not exciting.

Anyway xfr bounces core to core as does turbo. Only time it will stick is say a single threaded app. It will latch on to that one core and run 4.1 on 1800x providing chip is kept cool.

Preety much 1800x imo is for ln2 top results or stock users. Plop it in set memory speed and enjoy.

1700 at 3.9 all core oc will kick a stock 1800x azz in cinebench just because of the way dynamic tdp controlled turbo works..
    We are perfectly on the same page then. Thx for all that info too.

I always thought of the 1800x reaching 3.9 from 3.6 is kind of similar to having a 1700 boosted to 3.9. My theory could be absolutely wrong though. But since we can almost guarantee to have 95% of every 1700 to reach 3.8Ghz stable, and at the price diff of the 1800x, the 1700 wins in every way!

I can grab a 1700 right away, but going to wait until we figure out the 32GB story to grab the MB, in case either the CH6 or Taichi will get us there easier than the other.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizzen View Post
    I need some advice oc memory higher than 3200 using Asrock. I have Asrock fatality pro gaming. Almost same as Taichi.

I can do 3200 cl 14-13-13-13 easy with both my kits. Corsair 4000 2xgb and g.skill 3600 cl15 2x8gb.
    Without refclock currently impossible on anything asrock except taichi or fatality.....and not k4 fatality...

1.94a bios should be easy though providing your not using an m2 ssd.
    Last edited by chew*; 04-15-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    The outcome of knowing your voltage vs guessing. 1.39-1.41 measured vcore, 1.0 SOC

Now I need to test some other chips to see what they changed memory wise in 0511 or if this IMC is a dud as I can not get 3200 to not toss errors.
    @ Chew,

Excuse my ignorance but just need to clarify for my own sake.

Is what you are saying here is actual real voltage is 1.39-1.4v yet software is saying 1.5v....is that correct? And if that is the case then could it be assumed all boards are probably in the same boat to varing degrees = they are all reading higher than what the volts actually are?

Thanks.

Brilliant Idiot
    Yep software is way off even hw monitor.

Likewise some could be reporting lower than actual.

My b350 reports way lower than real voltage...
    Last edited by chew*; 04-15-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    Yep software is way off even hw monitor.

Likewise some could be reporting lower than actual.

My b350 reports way lower than real voltage...
    @ Chew,

BTW The question I asked in the post above thanks for the reply but did you do similar tests with the Taichi???? ....just curious because I just got this board and was wondering how it's voltage behaves.
    Last edited by lowdog; 04-15-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by lowdog View Post
    @ Chew,

BTW The question I asked in the post above thanks for the reply but did you do similar tests with the Taichi???? ....just curious because I just got this board and was wondering how it's voltage behaves.
    Lvl 1 llc and 1.40 = real load
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Huh. On my Taichi, 1.35v vcore + Level 1 LLC = 1.40v load voltage.

Level 3 LLC on my board keeps it stable @ 1.35v

Brilliant Idiot
    Measured at socket....? Need to swap backplate from another board to even do this with a DMM..

Mine is measured at socket...

Trusting Software = lol

Software vs dmm...

Dmm said 1.40v...set in bios llc 1 1.40v ( llc 1 is highest llc 5 is lowest on taichi )

Last edited by chew*; 04-16-2017 at 06:13 AM.
    heatware chew*

I have ordered a 1600X with GSkill F4-3466C16D-32GTZ Trident Z RAM (2x16 3466).
    Once the ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming comes back in stock (hopefully in next 2-3 days) I will order it. So in about 1-1.5 week or so I can give you guys an update on this RAM.
    Also I bought the Corsair Vengence airflow (RAM cooling kit) and I have a Cryorig A80 to keep the mobo circuits cool so might be able to achieve nice OC too.

Note also that the RAM I ordered last week was the fastest 2x16 kit on newegg (crazy to think I paid that much lol), but now they have a 3600 kit (F4-3600C17D-32GTZKW) for $435 for those of you with too much money. They might even get a few more faster kits in stock before the month is over with.

chew: do you have a vid on measuring voltage at the socket?

Brilliant Idiot
    chew: do you have a vid on measuring voltage at the socket?
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5256260

I got tired of soldering in so now just flipping boards while running them comparing idle vs bios and load vs bios with dmm @ socket.

Taichi has some weird covered/vented backplate. Stole one off my dead gaming 5 and swapped it to confirm that board.

The msi titanium guys on oc.net refuse to test socket voltage....but are claiming 1.3v stable 4 gig...be nice if someone showed us what the boards really sending to chip...
    Last edited by chew*; 04-16-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    heatware chew*

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5256260

I got tired of soldering in so now just flipping boards while running them comparing idle vs bios and load vs bios with dmm @ socket.

Taichi has some weird covered/vented backplate. Stole one off my dead gaming 5 and swapped it to confirm that board.

The msi titanium guys on oc.net refuse to test socket voltage....but are claiming 1.3v stable 4 gig...be nice if someone showed us what the boards really sending to chip...
    So that means you are reading from the dmm and adjusting the vcore, SOC manually based on the readings you get from the dmm (physically)... kind of a PITA, but u get the best results. Are you entering the SOC and LLC based on "levels" on the MB, or completely manually as 1.xx volts?

Not sure if I would be able to measure SOC or vcore with the watercooling backplate from EK that I will be using. Have to wait and see.

Brilliant Idiot
    Im basically tuning settings in bios to match dmm that way i know if i want 1.00 soc im getting what i request.

Same for vcore.

Both the prime pro and ch6 are almost identical pwm. Likewise both require identical settings.

If you measure pad that is provided on ch6....1.40 socket = 1.45 pad...so even that is off quite a bit...

Socket is all that matters. AMD said 1.40v...im quite sure that is an actual measured voltage by there engineers and not some idiot relying on software in there lab
    heatware chew*

I will do testing of my own before I throw in the waterblock backplate, but did you try ANY board that reports vcore / SOC correctly...

Brilliant Idiot
    32g CH6 4x8g configuration how to...

Ryzen -Mythbusters R5/CH6 edition.

https://youtu.be/yAiW3IO-cIQ
    heatware chew*

THANKS for the video. So Key point here is to input settings in 3 or 4 diff stages and reboot on each stage. I noticed similar behavior on my ROG Maximus VII hero, it does not like too many settings at once, never figured why.

Now to the questions: Why did you set the CPU LLC to Level 5 and not Level 4, 3, or 2...

Do you think disabling Q-fan has anything to do with anything else, or its just your personal pref?

I like the fact SOC voltage is low, most people think more is better with vcore, SOC and LLC, but I like to keep things within very reasonable settings to my PC lasts 3-4 years.

For the PLL and SB bridge voltages, I see you set them manually, but it seems to be set based on idle (without load) voltages. Am assuming you are preventing them to shoot up when under load..?

Lastly, I have a very good feeling to get the 16x2 GB working at 3200 and 14 timings. Did you try the following on the CH6:

Install 1x16gb, boot as normal, restart, set DRAM voltage --> reboot, set DRAM timing --> reboot.. we know that 1x16gb works, but maybe it does not like having all 32GB at once, so follow by:

Install second set of 1x16gb --> reboot, set DRAM voltage --> reboot, set DRAM timings --> reboot... Will it work....???

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast