Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vega = RX Vega

Xtreme Guru

Vega = RX Vega

Okay, so its not everyday that the SVP of our beloved company hints at our humble existence. At the Capsaicin and Cream event a few minutes back, Raja Koduri playfully hinted that while speculation has been high, the Vega GPU will not be called the RX 490 or the RX 580, thanking us for inventing brand names that didn?t exist (we would point Raja to the official AMD nomenclature, but hey, we can take a joke), and revealing the true name of the graphics card in question: the RX Vega.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-gpu-called-rx-vega/

I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that presentation though... 90 minutes of random VR talk, followed with a "spicy" reveal that Vega shall retail as RX Vega.

Honestly, that makes me really nervous about Vega. With Nvidia announcing the 1080 Ti tonight, I thought for sure they would counter that launch with some big reveal of their own. The fact they did a bunch of hand waiving does not leave me with confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    From what I can tell, Vega 10 = Fiji with a die shrink and clock boost + HBM2.

Maybe some tweaks here and there but it appears to be a cheap GTX1080, which isn't so bad. If Nvidia doesn't adjust their pricing, the Vega 10 can still be a competative product. Seriously, how many people game 4k? I don't think you NEED much more than a 1060 these days. I game at 2880 x 1440 on a GTX 780TI and the only slow down I get is with Total War Warhammer because of a 3GB frame buffer
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Guru
    Wouldn't it have made sense to announce that though? I.e. we're offering GTX 1080 performance for $500 or whatever.

They've been giving us a greatest hits of Ryzen (and curiously allowing pre-orders prior to NDA reviews or any public overclocking), but did a whole bunch of hand waiving today for Vega. I don't know if you watched the livestream or not, but the crowd's awkward silence said it all.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    down the fury road , is the V(5)ega
    they also called fury fury.

this is basically becoming amd's titan line

by NAVY, their might be mainstream cards with gddr6 and HBM3 on the NAVY card, which basically can 100% the mainstream offering at twice the price, but also have twice the performance, instead of going multi gpu. much like titan line cards.

also producing the amd server line of cards in the process.

titans for servers and the biggest fish in gaming, then cutt it down refresh the mainstream offerings with gddr5x, do it again, profits, like titan line and its cutt down versions in mainstream, refreshed for TI's , refreshed for 9's after 8's and then. do another fury, made max mad max fury road. the made max Vega of moves.

and then just like how amd's been treated by the made to the max titan moves in limited numbers cause too expensive, so always having the best card, amd will do the same moves nvidia has to please investors, and get that but they got the best card on the market, so buy their mainstream.
    Last edited by Greg83; 02-28-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, it was a little too much hype and a long presentation for what it was.

TBH, I wouldn't make a good PR rep; I don't lie very well.

"Today we are releasing more re-hashed crap with driver gimmicks that only work if game producers invest money into exiling our competitor’s customer base which makes up over %60 of the market... Any questions?"

Ok that was a little judgemental...
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Yeah, it was a little too much hype and a long presentation for what it was.

TBH, I wouldn't make a good PR rep; I don't lie very well.

"Today we are releasing more re-hashed crap with driver gimmicks that only work if game producers invest money into exiling our competitor’s customer base which makes up over %60 of the market... Any questions?"

Ok that was a little judgemental...
    lol Raja sounded totally drunk out there.

Like he saw the slides, went "you seriously want me to say this live in front of the world?", took a double shot of vodka and went on stage.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Monster
    I guess they are more concerned with Ryzen right now. I watched most of the live stream and did not like anything they showed, not interested in VR.

There's actually quite a bit of an overhaul under the hood that amd could no longer identify it as GCN.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Most of the VR content shown was laughable.
    I'd be ashamed to showcase some of them
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    I guess they are more concerned with Ryzen right now. I watched most of the live stream and did not like anything they showed, not interested in VR.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Most of the VR content shown was laughable.
    I'd be ashamed to showcase some of them
    Yeah that's what really concerned me as a share holder. I think I'm going to get out of the game after the Ryzen launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    There's actually quite a bit of an overhaul under the hood that amd could no longer identify it as GCN.
    Understood, though that's not necessarily a good thing. I doubt Vega is a metaphorical Bulldozer by any stretch, but I have to imagine if they had something to show it would have been demonstrated to steal the 1080 Ti's thunder.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Yeah that's what really concerned me as a share holder. I think I'm going to get out of the game after the Ryzen launch.
    That is typical, buy on news, sell few days after launch or before launch, AMD shares crashed a bit today, almost 5%, some sold before the launch.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    That is typical, buy on news, sell few days after launch or before launch, AMD shares crashed a bit today, almost 5%, some sold before the launch.
    Haha yeah I got in around $3 last year. I basically stalked the company until they finally had a positive earnings report.

I'm getting out now though. I honestly think the hype levels are getting unrealistic for Ryzen/Vega, and have already gotten a massive return on my initial investment.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme XIP
    I have just watched the event , it was the same old blah bah bla , more VR, more VR ... marketing stuff. I was hoping for more content on Vega GPU and perhaps a peek at a Vega GPU working in all it's glory. Oh and the big reveal of that show was the Vega it's going to be called RX Vega , perhaps they did not want to steal the thunder from the Ryzen launch or maybe they will let the Nvidia GTX 1080Ti launch first to see how it performs. Anyhow , it felt like we were trolled by Raja

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    nVIDIA's biggest Pascal core is on the Quadro P6000... 3840 SM.
    It's available on the market.
    They can't go higher than this, they could and should stay under Titan X(P).

There's no easier thing than predicting the 1080 Ti's performance.

This "no show" of today only harmed their own image and confused, clouded the thoughts and patience of the consumers waiting for Vega.
    Today's event was as close to amateurism as one can go.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme XIP
    nVIDIA's biggest Pascal core is on the Quadro P6000... 3840 SM.
    It's available on the market.
    They can't go higher than this, they could and should stay under Titan X(P).

There's no easier thing than predicting the 1080 Ti's performance.

This "no show" of today only harmed their own image and confused, clouded the thoughts and patience of the consumers waiting for Vega.
    Today's event was as close to amateurism as one can go.
    Great to see you here Bill , how are you doing my old friend long time no see ? I totally agree with you here !

Xtreme Addict
    I should have known not to think AMD could hit a homerun twice in a row.

Grrr, I don't even know what to do. I don't want to put my GTX 970 into my new Ryzen build... But I also don't want to buy a Pascal GPU right before prices maybe go down...

First world problems.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Hey Angelo, long time no see!
    Good, pretty busy the past 6 months, but can't complain about having a lot of work that pays off decently right ? ( considering I'm in a "typically" bankrupt country :p )

Been contemplating on purchasing some new stuff and bench on LN2 again anytime soon.
    Caught myself wanting to bench again lol.

Hope AMD didn't flop with Vega and made a "Ryzen-like" engineering wonder, we need some serious competition in the GPU market, nVIDIA has been left all alone for quite a while now and they are acting Intel-like with their continuous price bracket raise with every new flagship.
    It has gotten rather silly.

Xtreme XIP
    Hey Angelo, long time no see!
    Good, pretty busy the past 6 months, but can't complain about having a lot of work that pays off decently right ? ( considering I'm in a "typically" bankrupt country :p )

Been contemplating on purchasing some new stuff and bench on LN2 again anytime soon.
    Caught myself wanting to bench again lol.

Hope AMD didn't flop with Vega and made a "Ryzen-like" engineering wonder, we need some serious competition in the GPU market, nVIDIA has been left all alone for quite a while now and they are acting Intel-like with their continuous price bracket raise with every new flagship.
    It has gotten rather silly.
    Great tom hear from you bro. Indeed Nvidia has starting acting up like Intel :/ , hopefullu Vega will bring something new to the table. I got the overclocking bug again too Bill , been so many years lol. Maybe i can repair my Blue 2 stage cascade or something ( she is been broken for over 3 years now , second stage compressor dead ). Hop we get her back to bussiness.

Kind regards: Angelo

Brilliant Idiot
    Ill be honest if vega is anything like fury x or the dyanamic tdp control and companies keep making green products i dont see it benefitting us ( extreme overclockers ) only the mainstream market. If it can be competive on that front it will gain market share however.

I like the fury x....if comparing at stock. It ends there.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    TDP control, throttling due to power limits, turbo boost, funky shiet.
    Take us back to the old days
    Give us a Radeon 9700 Pro "2017" version

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Haha yeah I got in around $3 last year. I basically stalked the company until they finally had a positive earnings report.

I'm getting out now though. I honestly think the hype levels are getting unrealistic for Ryzen/Vega, and have already gotten a massive return on my initial investment.

Amazing, at $3, you are 4.30x, that is 330% profit if my calculation is correct, I hope you bought as much as you could. Ryzen really helped the shareholders, yes get out while you can.

Xtreme Addict
    Sheesh, really AMD, how can you rock with Ryzen and fail so hard with Vega. Just take Raja off the platform, for starters. With 1080 Ti out, there is not a chance in hell Vega will recapture the high end market. And hey, it's going to be a year late soon! No rush AMD!

I'm just annoyed now after that farce.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Whoever attended/saw both events ( AMD's and nVIDIA's ) must be wondering WTF is wrong with AMD.

And to all the "AMD will bring pre-high end performance value"... nVIDIA just ruined those dreams with the 1080 at 499 ( which could slip lower in case AMD releases Vega for less ).

Damn.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD is like a gambling addict, they shoot for the stars and mostly lose :-/ .
    Vega is already almost a year late. Thats glofo bet + hbm2 bet .So no wonder when they finally come out , they will be a year+ behind.
    Nvidia just cut 1080 a 100$ even though they didnt had to .Cause theres no more amd competition.That means they are sitting on a big pile of 1080ti and 1080 chips.No wonder, TSMC had the time to fine tune the already decent process.
    To me it seems that going glofo for all was a mistake.And no wonder, they didnt had the greatest track record.RX480 is pretty much a worse choice than the 1060 ,and nvidia is equpping them now with faster memory.I mean RX480 is good at stock, but nv clocks much better.
    So yea, AMD GPU division doesnt look great for this year.Maybe next.
    I have a 3,5 half year product from AMD, and they really dont have anything to offer me. RX480 is same perf, Fury is old hot and also has 4Gb ,390X is just a rehash of 290X.That just looks bad.
    Last edited by vario; 03-01-2017 at 05:07 AM.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Well that kinda messes up my hopes a bit. Was thinking if I did upgrade my PC this year it would be a Zen + Vega. But if it is lackluster, what's the point.

Might end up back in the AMD camp CPU-wise, but hop over to the nVidia camp for GPU, if AMD can't deliver there. Would be the first time in a while I haven't had an ATI/AMD card (last 3 cards were 7950, 4870, X1950XT)
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast