Thread: [News] Aqua Computer releases Dr. Delid

[News] Aqua Computer releases Dr. Delid

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/aqu...-dr-delid.html

Heat spreader removal process
    Aqua Computer's no. 1 priority: Prevention of CPU damage

• The processor is inserted into an exact, CNC machined recess in the acetal base. The relatively soft acetal material prevents damage to the CPU by excessive punctual pressure or scratching.
    • Before the actual removal process, the CPU is locked in place. The tool can be handled without risk of the CPU dropping from the tool.
    • The removal process is facilitated by rotating the hexagon socket screw by hand using the supplied wrench. A mechanical stop limits the rotation of the heat spreader in the tool.
    • During the removal process, the heat spreader is secured in the tool. It can not hit the CPU die by accident.
    • After removal of the heat spreder, an aperture in the tool allows to lift the CPU from the tool without touching the gold contacts.

Reinstallation of the heat spreader
    After cleaning the CPU and application of new thermal grease, insert the CPU into the tool again. Dr. Delid can be used for precise installation of the heat spreader:
    • A stainless steel frame for heat spreader alignment is inserted into a recess in the tool. The heat spreader can now be inserted into the frame, resulting in perfect alignment to the CPU. The heat spreader can be installed with glue (for instance silicone or polyurethane).
    • A stainless steel bracket supplied with the tool can be used to apply slight pressure to the center of the heat spreader, until the glue is cured. A knurled screw made from polyamide prevents damage to the heat spreader.

Xtreme Guru
    While I don't think I'd ever try de-lidding, I think this is a great tool for those who do.

My only question is about what happens when the heatspreaders is soldered on? Can this bracket survive basically taking a blowtorch to the CPU?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Never worth delidding if the core is soldered, I don't really see any point in this tool either a steady hand and scalpel get the job done just as fast and I'd argue safer as you can gently pry the IHS, not just let it "pop".

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Never worth delidding if the core is soldered, I don't really see any point in this tool either a steady hand and scalpel get the job done just as fast and I'd argue safer as you can gently pry the IHS, not just let it "pop".
    Why not? The pop is just the mechanical separation of the silicone seal. Unless you're confident in reproducing results with an exacto knife, a vise and some tape gets my vote of confidence
    my mini-fridge
    MoBo: GA-EP45-UD3P | CPU: Q9550 3.6GHZ @ 1.216v | RAM: 4x1GB 900mhz @ 5-5-5-15 | GPU: GTX 460 900G/1800S/4400M | PSU: Corsair 750TX| HDD's: Seagate 320GB + 500GB, Samsung 1TB | Case: antec p180

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    For the WC crowd, direct-die cooling is always better. At least one person I heard on another forum said that they got better temps with a 5960x with delid/relid using CLU than with the stock solder. That seemed odd but they had screenshots so . . . whatever.

I did an xacto delid on my A10-7700k and I was sweating bullets. It worked though.