Thread: [News] NVIDIA Counts Down to GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Launch

[News] NVIDIA Counts Down to GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Launch

https://www.techpowerup.com/230926/n...1080-ti-launch

NVIDIA's GeForce.com website today was updated to greet us with a curious-looking countdown to evening, February 28. The countdown goes with the caption "It's Almost Time," with "Ti" in bold lettering. This just about confirms launch of the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, NVIDIA's next high-end graphics card based on the same "GP102" silicon as the TITAN X Pascal. It remains to be seen if the company endows the SKU with more CUDA cores than the TITAN X Pascal, or less. A lot will depend on what NVIDIA's product managers learned about AMD's upcoming Radeon Vega.
    http://www.geforce.com/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    More already released and overpriced Nvidia hardware? Boring! Give me Vega and Ryzen!

Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Guru
    Whatever. It's a smart move to hype of their own customers, but unless if it's ~$650 (like the 980 Ti) I'll wait to see Vega.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Whatever. It's a smart move to hype of their own customers, but unless if it's ~$650 (like the 980 Ti) I'll wait to see Vega.
    Good idea, terrible execution. I think Intel and Nvidia are coming off as annoying. I'm not naive, I understand this is what companies do, but sometimes when you try to steel the spotlight you just come off as petulant.

The 1080ti is not exciting and trying to hype it up in hopes of diverting attention from Vega, especially taking into context the outrageous prices, just makes Vega that much more appealing. If I were Nvidia, I would release the 1080ti quietly with a massive price drop. The ti should be releases at least at the current price of the 1080 and the 1080 should be dropped way low. Imagine Nvidida dropping THAT bomb. Certainly would divert attention from Vega and AMD in a very real way.

Not this cliche countdown timer as if we need a reminder of where February 28th falls on our calendar.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Until Vega is out... and does put some competitive performance on corresponding nVIDIA products, why would they cut their prices ? To minimize their margins ?

If once again AMD's top offer can't battle nVIDIA's top offer, we're going to re-live the past 2 years.
    Predictable releases and price increases.

Vega needs to beat Titan X (Pascal), otherwise big price decreases from nVIDIA is a forever dream.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Guru
    Nvidia did it with the 980 Ti to undermine the Fury X launch. Rumor was the Fury X would be $650 until Nvidia surprised everyone by dropping their prices across the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Until Vega is out... and does put some competitive performance on corresponding nVIDIA products, why would they cut their prices ? To minimize their margins ?

If once again AMD's top offer can't battle nVIDIA's top offer, we're going to re-live the past 2 years.
    Predictable releases and price increases.

Vega needs to beat Titan X (Pascal), otherwise big price decreases from nVIDIA is a forever dream.
    Vega doesn't have to beat the Titan X P. It just has to provide exceptional 4k gaming experience at an affordable price. AMD and Nvidia have been down this road before.

Nvidia will have to drop prices to compete and they know it, hence the count down time, 1080ti release, etc... Its damage control but its a weak response. A price drop now would be much more effective at taking attention from AMD's Vega launch and more importantly, maintaining market shares which are much better in the long game than profit per sale.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Vega doesn't have to beat the Titan X P. It just has to provide exceptional 4k gaming experience at an affordable price. AMD and Nvidia have been down this road before.

Nvidia will have to drop prices to compete and they know it, hence the count down time, 1080ti release, etc... Its damage control but its a weak response. A price drop now would be much more effective at taking attention from AMD's Vega launch and more importantly, maintaining market shares which are much better in the long game than profit per sale.
    heh, I think otherwise, Volta is around the corner already so Nvidia need to release 1080ti ASAP or it will never see the lights of day. Nvidia should have plenty of 1080ti in stock since Titan XP has been out for 8 months while Vega is still 3 months away from paper launch. I don't think if you know this but Nvidia is riding on the success of Ryzen here, alot of people myself included who own previous core i7 + 980ti are putting off upgrading their PC in wait for something like Ryzen + 1080ti that are truly worthy of upgrading.
    Last edited by Krizby87; 02-23-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    Core i7 8700k @ 5.1Ghz * Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 * 4x8GB Corsair RGB @ 3600 16-18-18-36 * GTX 1080ti @ 2050/11400 * Plextor M8Pe 512GB * Creative Sound Blaster Z * Audioengine 5+ * Corsair Obsidian 750D * Corsair RM1000 watt