Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Various] AMD Ryzen Official Announcement [Update: Benchmarks]

Xtreme Addict
    I like my 4k wasabi mango uhd400.
    It's not perfect, but I find it satisfactory .

Right now with the us market, and likely the eu market, alot of the 4k's will be the 1st gen.
    The supposed final ver is uhd ver's of 4k, 10bit and beyond. (Edit: I mean hdr, not uhd, I got a darn cold and can't think straight)
    The media format is almost non-existent though, not much for 4k or 4k+10bit, lots of Japanese bdr 1080p 10bit though, not actually sure if those rips were from a 10bit disk or not though.
    The os ui's aren't ready for it btw, in windows for example you have to switch out of dwm mode or whatever it's called, no aero, win8-10 there is no aero anyways...
    But if I remember right it needs full screen anyways, I couldn't get it to work, just haven't been using windows enough to care.
    Mac I think wasn't prepared for it at all, and Linux, well, it's a mess, you can force it, and see all the little bugs that come with that.
    The prob is transparencies.

4k is nice, even for casual use (after you adjust everything...).
    But I don't recommend one with a tuner for sure, the lag is bad enough with the va/ips panels and the res/screen size.
    My plan was to make my own tuner box out of a pi, pi3 for now, later on one that does hardware 4k playback and can handle a 4k desktop.
    A easycap capture stick, and maybe someday a usb stick that does us digital tv if I can find one (I got one for eu sat, and that's useful for sdr, but it's not tv...).

Vga though, this 680 mine doesn't care for 4k.
    I hope volta comes out soon, I was hoping to use my tax returns on that and maybe an impact wrench and a few other odds and ends if possible.
    I haven't even played through gta5 yet because I've been waiting on maxing it out on 1080p, and now it's 4k lol.

Anyways, intel...
    The reason why we haven't gotten the bigger core counts is because in terms of clocks you know it wouldn't satisfy some.
    Say there's a 4ghz 6core, 2-3 years later or so then there's an 8 core at the same speed.
    It's not that they can't give those cores, it's just that they apparently feel that it's not ready yet.
    That and at least a slight lack of competition and actual demand for anything over 4 cores for the mainstream.
    Content creators are considered professionals for ex.
    And so are peeps that tend to buy the xeon's...
    The only reason why 4 cores are no longer going to be top mainstream is because things like content creation have become more mainstream.
    People need to beable to game, and encode or stream at the same time.
    That and you know, they've been around forever now, quad cores.
    There's a point were if you can get the same clocks you used to get on the quad, you might as well give them more cores, as long as it fits in tdp.

As for the ext's...
    My 4930k has what I want and the stuff I don't it doesn't have, no remote admin.
    I found it odd that the 4960x was missing virtualization instructions :\.
    At least that was specs were back then...
    That sorta stuff I don't agree with... sure
    And I don't like artificial limits either, with multiplier locks and such.

Regardless, amd has made it so it's not 6 cores, it's 8 cores that's now the mainstream to go on.
    Intel will charge $1000 still for there top end.
    But it's likely now you'll see 8 cores at the 500 range and 10 cores at the 1000 range.
    You would of seen that anyways but now it could get more interesting maybe.

Anyways don't take this and an endorsement for intel.
    I'm all for amd taking a lead somewhere.
    I spent a ton of money on my intel rig, much more then any amd rig I wuld of put together, and the reason was because I saw no benefit to upgrading to an amd from what I had, a 1090t.
    There would of been a benefit, but not enough for me to justify, I wanted to hand my rig down, and I needed something with more power behind it to do things that the amd couldn't.
    At least finally, now there's a upgrade path on the amd side ^^.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 02-22-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    AMD will be competitive again.... I honestly thought this day would never come.

All of the AMD fans have waited years for this. However, there is no way in hell I can afford a $300+ cpu. $500 for 1800X... yeah I'll get right on that.

Well hopefully down the road when it's time for an upgrade the price will be lower.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
    However, there is no way in hell I can afford a $300+ cpu. $500 for 1800X... yeah I'll get right on that.

Well hopefully down the road when it's time for an upgrade the price will be lower.
    That is exactly my point, maximum to pay for a cpu is $300 and is what I expected the 1700 to be and is $29 more. It still fits my criteria when I round the number up.

Xtreme Addict
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Guru
    Woah note that 1600X performance and speed: +69% over 7600k, and is clocked at 3.6/4.0 GHz!!

I think that's an indication we may see quadcores clocked above 4 GHz (all previous leaks noted 3.3/3.7 GHz).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Woah note that 1600X performance and speed: +69% over 7600k, and is clocked at 3.6/4.0 GHz!!

I think that's an indication we may see quadcores clocked above 4 GHz (all previous leaks noted 3.3/3.7 GHz).
    Well, if theyre using the same dies ,and both 8 and 6 core top out at 4ghz .I dont really see it.
    Only way i see it is if they are using separate die for 4 cores.

Also, this could be just another AMD "slide error"
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    Well, if theyre using the same dies ,and both 8 and 6 core top out at 4ghz .I dont really see it.
    Only way i see it is if they are using separate die for 4 cores.

Also, this could be just another AMD "slide error"
    You gotta think of it from a binning perspective. Cutdown 6-core = it failed the transistor leakage requirement for 8-core.

If they managed to squeeze out extra clocks inspite of the worse leakage, I think that's actually promising that a quadcore could clock above 4 GHz. But I agree, my assumption is quadcore = native chip from the diagram posted earlier.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Already got my board ordered, Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 Auros. Why not a Asrock board I'm sure some of you are wondering, well quite simply the Asrock board designs are fugly, but mainly because from what I've seen someone at Asrock is losing the plot. ?145 for a X370 "killer" board, that has a "last gen" ALC892 CODEC, no power or reset buttons on the board (not a deal breaker IMO) but what disgusted me most of all is that for ?145 you aren't even getting a debug LED. If all that wasn't bad enough the "killer" board is pretty much the best looking Asrock have and someone decided to nerf it like this. Rest assured, when I'm done reviewing the Gigabyte board I'll be contacting my Asrock buddies to try and find out exactly who has entered meltdown for their AM4 boards to be so far behind everyone else.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Already got my board ordered, Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 Auros. Why not a Asrock board I'm sure some of you are wondering, well quite simply the Asrock board designs are fugly, but mainly because from what I've seen someone at Asrock is losing the plot. ?145 for a X370 "killer" board, that has a "last gen" ALC892 CODEC, no power or reset buttons on the board (not a deal breaker IMO) but what disgusted me most of all is that for ?145 you aren't even getting a debug LED. If all that wasn't bad enough the "killer" board is pretty much the best looking Asrock have and someone decided to nerf it like this. Rest assured, when I'm done reviewing the Gigabyte board I'll be contacting my Asrock buddies to try and find out exactly who has entered meltdown for their AM4 boards to be so far behind everyone else.
    Well the Tai chi board looks good to me, and has everything i need mostly and even more, although it shouldnt cost so much.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

I've never cared for Asrock boards myself. Used a couple of them, and they both were just 'ok' - much preferred my Gigabyte or MSI boards.

Haven't played with an Asus board for years after I got a bad board that they then refused to warranty because "it passed testing" and blamed everything else (RAM, CPU, anything), even though the only thing that actually fixed the PC was none of those things but a new board (by another manufacturer). Shame, because one of my all-time favorite boards was an Asus board, A8R32-MVP Deluxe back from old days. Yep, I still remember the model number lol.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Brilliant Idiot
    The taichi and fatality both do not look to bad. Fataility says sli so probably has a chip.

Both look like solidly built power delivery.

The msi looks really good although the mix of solidstate and electrolytic caps could be good or bad...

Power input wise it offers the most...of course implementation does not make a board good by itself.

The ASUS looks solid but to much voltron....

The gigabyte looks a tad sparse at first glance.

The rest look uninteresting
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

this looks sick...

Well the Tai chi board looks good to me, and has everything i need mostly and even more, although it shouldnt cost so much.
    Agreed. I could only find it at 224, which is far too much for what it is. The design of the board also broke my brain, as the son of a watch maker / clock maker the wheel design printed on the board is totally retarded. No watch or clock would EVER go with wheels like that trying to mesh together.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    The taichi and fatality both do not look to bad. Fataility says sli so probably has a chip.

Both look like solidly built power delivery.

The msi looks really good although the mix of solidstate and electrolytic caps could be good or bad...

Power input wise it offers the most...of course implementation does not make a board good by itself.

The ASUS looks solid but to much voltron....

The gigabyte looks a tad sparse at first glance.

The rest look uninteresting
    Auros 5 isn't bad at all, actually offers everything the other boards are really. Only thing its "lacking" (or looks to be) is a extra M.2 slot but the only boards I've seen offering more than one M.2 slot are the Asrock boards.. which makes it all the more a shame that the Asrock boards are offering so little for their price as the extra M.2 would of been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by StyM View Post

this looks sick...
    I like my boards without christmas lights :p Needless to say, the LED lights on the Auros 5 will never see use outside of for review purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I've never cared for Asrock boards myself. Used a couple of them, and they both were just 'ok' - much preferred my Gigabyte or MSI boards.

Haven't played with an Asus board for years after I got a bad board that they then refused to warranty because "it passed testing" and blamed everything else (RAM, CPU, anything), even though the only thing that actually fixed the PC was none of those things but a new board (by another manufacturer). Shame, because one of my all-time favorite boards was an Asus board, A8R32-MVP Deluxe back from old days. Yep, I still remember the model number lol.
    Asrock turned a big corner when I helped them back with Z68 / Z77 but it looks like they have taken 3 steps back again since then. It is absolutely not ok to not offer basics like power and reset buttons, a debug LED, or even the latest on-board audio with a price of 145 on a top tier X370 board. You would expect corner cutting to happen in this regard on something like a B350 with a price of 100 or so, but not 145. It hurts to say it, but it won't stop me from being objective, for the same price or a little more if you want something more flashy (literally with pretty much all manufacturers getting a hardon for poxy christmas lights on their X370 offerings) you can get something noticeably superior.
    Last edited by Ket; 02-23-2017 at 10:35 AM.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Guru
    lol literal unboxing for the win!

.....}

Regards, Hans

yeeees, he was so happy as I could be happy

Crosshair VI coming soon to my hands and hope Ryzen also
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Nobody seems to be talking about what heatsinks they're going to use to cool these chips they're ordering. The 1700X and 1800X are WOF SKUs and do not come with anything. Noctua seems to be the only company to market so far with anything AM4 compatible. Cryorg announced upgrade kits, but you can't buy them anywhere. Who knows when they start shipping them if you ask for a free one with proof of purchase.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Nobody seems to be talking about what heatsinks they're going to use to cool these chips they're ordering. The 1700X and 1800X are WOF SKUs and do not come with anything. Noctua seems to be the only company to market so far with anything AM4 compatible. Cryorg announced upgrade kits, but you can't buy them anywhere. Who knows when they start shipping them if you ask for a free one with proof of purchase.
    1700x and 1800x have two versions with and without cooler.
    Much more companies have announced kits
    And AM4 IS compatible with AMD heatsinks that do not need backplate.

1700x and 1800x have two versions with and without cooler.
    Much more companies have announced kits
    And AM4 IS compatible with AMD heatsinks that do not need backplate.
    All preorder 1700X and 1800X SKUs I've seen are WOF. There may be versions with heatsinks slated for the future, but that isn't what people are buying right now.

As for heatsink compatibility, do you have a source for that? We were initially told that AM4 would be compatible with AM3 thermal solutions only to later be told that was incorrect. No exception for tab mounted heatsinks has been mentioned anywhere that I've seen.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    All preorder 1700X and 1800X SKUs I've seen are WOF. There may be versions with heatsinks slated for the future, but that isn't what people are buying right now.

As for heatsink compatibility, do you have a source for that? We were initially told that AM4 would be compatible with AM3 thermal solutions only to later be told that was incorrect. No exception for tab mounted heatsinks has been mentioned anywhere that I've seen.
    https://cenowarka.pl/amd-ryzen-7-170...set#filterform
    I can preorder box version.
    EDIT, my bad thats not the X version.
    As for the mounting, thats what i read sometime ago, ofcourse i cant verify that now
    There is also available ryzen with corsair hydro.

EDIT2,
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...compatibility/
    Last edited by vario; 02-23-2017 at 02:04 PM.

I'll more than likely be taking my dremel to a few existing brackets my Seidon 120 came with. Cooler master apparently are going to offer AM4 brackets for a lot of their stuff... but they won't ship until March 1st. Hardly very bloody useful to everyone preordering I do have one of their AM4 brackets ordered.. don't know if it will fit my Seidon 120 but looks like it'll be at least useful for modding purposes if the brackets I already have turn out to not be any use. No way I'll be paying ?80-90 quid for a AIO cooler, they were about right at ?50 for 120mm but the current scam merchant prices for 120mm AIOs are a utter ripoff.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict
    Everyone ing about $500 for a CPU when it competes against a $1050 Intel. Getting a CPU for 1/2 the price is nice.
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

I don't think theres anything too bad about 490 for a 1800X, its just more than I would spend on a CPU. I think the general thinking is that considering CPUs have way, WAY less transistors in them compared to a GPU that they should be a lot cheaper. I can see the reasoning in that, and if AMD didn't have the necessity of having to recover as much money and market share as possible we might of seen a 1800X for the price of a 1700 but thats just not how it is. Couple years maybe it will, that all depends on how AMD do in the ensuing time period.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast