Thread: How a College Kid Made His Honda Civic Self-Driving for $700

How a College Kid Made His Honda Civic Self-Driving for $700

MIT Technology Review has a front pager about a young student (Brevan Jorgenson) who did what car companies like Tesla charge many times more. This was accomplished with free software and a 3-D printed case. The device used is called Neo.

From the article:

Brevan Jorgenson?s grandma kept her cool when he took her for a nighttime spin in the Honda Civic he's modified to drive itself on the highway. A homemade device in place of the rear-view mirror can control the brakes, accelerator, and steering, and it uses a camera to identify road markings and other cars.

A Neo is built from a OnePlus 3 smartphone equipped with Comma?s now-free Openpilot software, a circuit board that connects the device to the car?s electronics, and a 3-D-printed case. Jorgenson got the case printed by an online service and soldered the board together himself.
    Source and full story:
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...iving-for-700/
    Last edited by xytrius; 02-21-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .

I have friends in Ford's autonomous department. We have prototypes that have received very favorable reviews from the press, and even I wouldn't consider those actually self-driving (nor could they have been built for 10,000 times his budget).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .

I have friends in Ford's autonomous department. We have prototypes that have received very favorable reviews from the press, and even I wouldn't consider those actually self-driving (nor could they have been built for 10,000 times his budget).
    I take your point.
    The review lacked analysis; a professional should have inspected and tested the car.

But here is my view:
    This act percolates innovation. It seems to me that it is an invigoration of technology from the ground up. An example was made, so that is why I thought it was XS news, the moderator thought otherwise.