Thread: [News] No Windows 7 Drivers for AMD Ryzen

[News] No Windows 7 Drivers for AMD Ryzen

https://www.techpowerup.com/230517/n...-for-amd-ryzen

AMD confirmed that it will not release Windows 7 drivers for its upcoming Ryzen series processors. It was earlier reported that the company is working on these drivers. The company, however, did state that it tested and validated Ryzen processors on a variety of operating systems, including Windows 7. "To achieve the highest confidence in the performance of our AMD Ryzen desktop processors (formerly code-named "Summit Ridge"), AMD validated them across two different OS generations, Windows 7 and 10," AMD said in a statement. "However, only support and drivers for Windows 10 will be provided in AMD Ryzen desktop processor production parts," the company added.

This doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be Windows 7 drivers for other socket AM4 chips, such as the 7th generation A-series "Bristol Ridge" APUs. AMD-supplied drivers are essential for these chips, as they drive the AMD Radeon integrated graphics, and Windows 7 continues to be a gaming platform. What happens now? Well, you can run Windows 7 on AMD Ryzen-powered desktops just fine, it's just that the OS won't support all of the processor's capabilities, such as some of the newer instruction sets it comes with.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by StyM View Post
    To achieve the highest confidence in the performance of our AMD Ryzen desktop processors (formerly code-named "Summit Ridge"), AMD validated them across two different OS generations, Windows 7 and 10,"
    So the drivers are done, but they wont be officially out.I really dont care about WHQL as long as it works properly.
    However, if ZEN will be crippled by this.Bad move.And im out.BD-E for me then.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

I don't get how not releasing drivers for a now nearly 8 year old OS that is 2 versions old is a "bad move."
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I don't get how not releasing drivers for a now nearly 8 year old OS that is 2 versions old is a "bad move."
    Because as a company in dire need of customers you are alienating a big chunk of them, moreover there are organizations that use windows 7 and they wont be interested in ryzen beceuse of the lack of support.
    I find it amusing that people are all fired up about support for linux which is like 1% of clients ,but find it OK to not support a whole lotta more.
    Anyhow, its not only windows 7, but also 8.1, which is a lot newer.
    I understand, you like windows 10, thats ok for you.Many people dont and have legit reasons not to.
    Moreover, as it is stated, it was validated for windows 7! They have the drivers! Thats a political decision, not a technical one.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

... If you buy a new PC with Ryzen, the PC would be coming with Win10. Yeah you can still buy Win7 from some sources that have some left over, but MS isn't even selling it now (same with 8.1, both those ended in November). Wouldn't be surprised if AMD can't get the win7 drivers WHQL certified by MS (I don't know for sure, just thinking out loud).

But, you can still use Ryzen with win7, it isn't not going to work. Just might not be optimized.

No different than Intel not officially supporting their latest CPU on older OSes.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ... If you buy a new PC with Ryzen, the PC would be coming with Win10. Yeah you can still buy Win7 from some sources that have some left over, but MS isn't even selling it now (same with 8.1, both those ended in November). Wouldn't be surprised if AMD can't get the win7 drivers WHQL certified by MS (I don't know for sure, just thinking out loud).

But, you can still use Ryzen with win7, it isn't not going to work. Just might not be optimized.

No different than Intel not officially supporting their latest CPU on older OSes.
    Well, people have their own boxed win 7`s .You still can buy the damn os .Same with 8.1 .
    As for the WHQL, yes they can, they are doing it for all the other hardware still.
    And yes im pretty sure its gonna work normally, and im like 90% sure internal drivers are gonna pop out for some oem, or gonna be leaked in another form.
    And yes, its not diff than kaby lake.
    It just was an occasion for AMD to do everything right, especially after all this comments about listening to their fanbase and DYI`rs .
    Sad reality is, AMD has close ties with MS, they make a lot of hardware for them, so ms pushed them in the "right" (for ms) direction.
    But still, there is this possibility that the drivers wont see the day, and zen on 7 will be in some way crippled, this cpu has a lot of new stuff.And if thats the case, thats a bad move.

they said they would have drivers for windows 7 like 2 days ago. i would also guess that it could be an issue with the server market.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD is going to be in the same boat as Intel here so . . .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    AMD is going to be in the same boat as Intel here so . . .
    On a side note.
    Kaby lake works normally in w7, as i heard there was some problems with build in IGP.But someone leaked the 7 drivers (i believe it was msi, not 100% sure tho).