Thread: [News] Intel Readies the Xeon Gold Series Processors for Media Workstations

[News] Intel Readies the Xeon Gold Series Processors for Media Workstations

https://www.techpowerup.com/230400/i...a-workstations

Hot on the heels of AMD Ryzen, Intel is planning to launch the pro-consumer targeted Xeon Gold line of processors. The company is reportedly "freaked out" at the cost/performance of AMD Ryzen R7-1800X in creative productivity applications, and is preparing a new line of processors targeting that niche of the market, which uses MacPro desktops and media production workstations using HEDT processors, but needs a bit of "reliability." The Xeon Gold series will be based on the 14 nm "Skylake-EP" silicon, and will feature up to 18 CPU cores. The first model in the series is the Xeon Gold 6150.

The Xeon Gold 6150 features 18 CPU cores, with HyperThreading enabling 36 logical CPUs. Intel increased the L2 cache amount per core to 1 MB, from 256 KB found on other implementations of the "Skylake" architecture. The chip features 25,344 KB (24.75 MB) of shared L3 cache. The core clock speed is 2.70 GHz, with a maximum Turbo Boost frequency of 3.70 GHz. The chip features a quad-channel DDR4 memory interface. Going by its specs, the Xeon Gold 6150 will clearly occupy a higher market segment than the Ryzen R7-1800X, but could lure orders from the likes of Apple, for its next-generation MacPro workstations.

Xtreme Member
    wow! very interesting stuff - I wonder if this news of being scared is true and might effect pricing for Kaby-X and Sky-X
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    The pricing will most likely be re-adjusted a little bit.
    Not for the HEDT chips though.

Best news ever for the Intel side is... 6c/12t will become mainstream in the next "tock".
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero