Thread: Uber sets up $3 million fund for drivers hurt by immigration ban

Uber sets up $3 million fund for drivers hurt by immigration ban

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/29/...migration-ban/

When President Trump's Muslim-centric immigration ban kicked in and sent tech companies (not to mention the public) into a furor, Uber CEO Travis Kalanick promised to compensate drivers left stranded by the restrictions. But could he do anything else? Apparently so. The executive says Uber will establish a $3 million legal defense fund that will help drivers with immigration issues, including translation services. Kalanick is also vowing 24/7 legal help and to "urge" the White House to restore the right of US residents to travel, calling the current restrictions "unjust."

The news comes as Uber has apologized for "confusion" surrounding rides to JFK International Airport on January 28th, when masses of protestors gathered to demand the release of travelers stuck in the airport thanks to Trump's executive order. The company claims it wasn't trying to undermine a taxi strike in support of the protests when it tweeted that it had turned off surge pricing for JFK rides. It just wanted to let people know that they could get to JFK "at normal prices, especially last night," according to a spokesperson speaking to TechCrunch.

Uber's responses are an improvement on its relative silence early on, but they're not going to placate critics who've been deleting their accounts in protest. Kalanick's objection to the immigration ban has been relatively muted, and many have blamed it on his participation in Trump's policy forum -- if you believe his opponents, he doesn't want to rock the boat and risk losing political power. It's safe to say the response isn't quite as fierce as what you get from Lyft, which has vowed to donate to the ACLU and has explicitly decried Trump's policy as un-American. While the defense fund and other steps will definitely help drivers left in the lurch, it may be hard for Uber to shake the notion that it isn't helping as much as it could. Kalanick will be meeting with Trump, alongside the likes of Elon Musk, later in the week, and will be bringing up his concerns at a meeting of the White House economic advisory group this Friday.

it is too late for them, uber is done no matter what PR stunt they pull.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I'm just curious, what's going on with uber that will finish it?

I know they planned on using autonomous driving to save money and fire the public, but other then that I dn.

As for the $3 mil, dumb I think, you would be better off bringing food to the airports "for the detained".
    Some get to eat, some "supposedly" don't.
    They are still neighbors, or people, you know....

And anyways refugee means they need temp help, it isn't supposed to be permanent, it's not a darn free for all.
    If you were to invite a buddy over to stay for a weekend you don't expect them to bring with them 100 other people you don't know, and you don't expect them to take over and say your house is there's.
    And yes, there's people on the left that actually believe this.
    You can only do so much, and there's a point where you have to stop, because it's doing more harm then good.
    My grandpa had a saying, because of my crack head uncle actually..., I'm not going to help others that won't help themselves, or something like that.

One thing that pisses me off, is these refugee's decide to take over towns and march down the streets with a decapitated head of jesus painting (in my own state btw).
    Demanding this and that, and threatening any that oppose.
    The illegals from mexico do the same, just without the anti christian aspect.
    They march down the streets too and take over, the cartel moved in a while back upnorth in my state and I'de like to see them gone.
    (My buddy/roomate is living here because of that..., to many murders up north(most of them not found, yet...), it's been 2 years now, and here's hoping he can move back sooner or later without getting killed by migrants working for the cartel)

The Chicago mayor said, if a undocumented immigrant has a little bit of weed on them, we let them go.
    Well, if that illegal had weed on them, you know where it came from, it's not medical weed..., it's cartel weed, and you're gonna let them go?
    Crazy stuff.

But yeah, anyways, I'll boycott uber, though to be honest I've never used them and only heard of them this last year.
    I don't support terrorism unless it's total war (I consider carpet and bat bombing that sorta thing...).
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 01-31-2017 at 12:49 AM.