Thread: [News] FCC approves $170 million for New York broadband rollout

[News] FCC approves $170 million for New York broadband rollout

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/26/...dband-rollout/

The FCC's first action under new Chairman Ajit Pai will direct up to $170 million in federal funding to help ease the digital divide in New York State. The commission voted Thursday to approve the funds as part of the Connect America program, which is designed to invest in broadband deployment and infrastructure in rural and underserved areas.

"Broadband is critical to economic opportunity and job creation," Pai said in a statement. "This is a first step of many to fulfill my promise to empower Americans with online opportunities, no matter who they are and no matter where they live."

According to the FCC, the money will be combined with another $200 million in state funds and private investments. The state's New NY Broadband Program will be in charge of distributing the funds and insuring "ongoing oversight" of the service.

Last year, under Chairman Tom Wheeler, the FCC actually backed down from its attempts to protect municipal broadband after those efforts were stymied by local regulations that blocked city- or county-run services from expanding beyond their borders. While the FCC wanted to protect municipal broadband in order to foster competition in those areas, additional broadband penetration was often a positive side effect. The Connect America funds, on the other hand, are federal subsidies given to the private sector to deploy broadband in areas where they would otherwise be "unable to make a business case" for providing the service.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    About time, US is so far behind in internet speeds.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

waaaaaaaaaay behind... my 30$ unlimited fiber internet...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by StyM View Post
    waaaaaaaaaay behind... my 30$ unlimited fiber internet...
    I pay $35 ($45 when my two year "deal" is gone) for 50/50 and get ~ 50/30 in reality.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    I pay $35 ($45 when my two year "deal" is gone) for 50/50 and get ~ 50/30 in reality.
    #%T$#!
    $32 and change:3Mb/s --- lucky if I sustain 2Mb/s (thanks, Charter). It was explained to me that my 'node' has 2X+ the connections beyond what is considered 'max'

This is roughly 18 miles north from 'Center City' Charlotte, North Carolina, in what one state official called, "The Building Permit Capital of the World" It's worst than a bad joke. Amazingly, I have a cabin in the backwoods of the Blue Ridge Mountains 100 miles away ...

with FTTH. Go figure.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    $170 million broadband rollout . . . who benefits directly?

Are we subsidizing Verizon/Comcast/etc here? Who is getting this money, and who controls the fibre after the rollout?

Last year, under Chairman Tom Wheeler, the FCC actually backed down from its attempts to protect municipal broadband after those efforts were stymied by local regulations that blocked city- or county-run services from expanding beyond their borders. While the FCC wanted to protect municipal broadband in order to foster competition in those areas, additional broadband penetration was often a positive side effect. The Connect America funds, on the other hand, are federal subsidies given to the private sector to deploy broadband in areas where they would otherwise be "unable to make a business case" for providing the service.
    Looks like we are using federal money to keep existing providers in power, rather than permitting anyone to compete with them.
    Last edited by drmrlordx; 01-28-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post

Are we subsidizing Verizon/Comcast/etc here? Who is getting this money, and who controls the fibre after the rollout?

Looks like we are using federal money to keep existing providers in power, rather than permitting anyone to compete with them.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post

no national ISPs currently offer broadband out side of google fiber regions, i wounder if the definition will change to include metered connections. i also wounder how VZ and ATT will squirm out of it and use that money to build 5g cell service.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i also wounder how VZ and ATT will squirm out of it and use that money to build 5g cell service.
    Ugh, I hadn't thought of that. Quite possible though.