Here my current HTPC rig :

Intel Core 2 Quad 9400
    Asus P5B Deluxe
    8GB de DDR2
    Creative X-FI XtremMusic SoundCard
    Gigabytes RX460 2GB
    Logitech Z623 2.1 THX
    Panasonic 42 inch G25 plasma TV

I use MPC-HC or PotPlayer to listen to my x265 1080p movie I got no problem at all ... the CPU almost sleep but when I try a x265 4K my CPU top the 100% even with my RX460 ... there is a way to use in a better way my RX460 to help my less powerful CPU to read 4K video file ??? or really my Q9400 is my bottleneck and I can?t think there is a way to read 4K x265 file on it ... if it?s the case do you have a suggestion for me about a good CPU + MOBO to update my HTPC.

My gaming rig has a i7 3770K with a ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo .... must I just swap these in my HTPC and upgrade my gaming rig with a new mobo + CPU + Ram ???

would suggest 4770, if you can find a cheap one.

Everything I find for a 3770K, 4770K, 4790k or even a 2700K is barely cheaper than a new 7700K and even the MOBO aren't cheaper

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    What is your actual goal ?

You have a 1080p TV.
    You are trying to playback a 4k file to it ?

Are you restricted to h.265 video files ? ( limited storage ? capped internet ? )

Are you looking for the max image quality or you are fine with normal fine quality ? ( with CPU decoding and software based chroma subsampling you can get better image quality than with GPU accelerated decoding )
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    What is your actual goal ? to play x265 4K movie on my near future 4K LG B6P

You have a 1080p TV.
    You are trying to playback a 4k file to it ? yes right now I play these 4K movie on my 1080P TV

Are you restricted to h.265 video files ? ( limited storage ? capped internet ? ) because right they do the job ... faster to download (torrent) but if you have better movie file for quality I'm here to learn ... so teach me please

Are you looking for the max image quality or you are fine with normal fine quality ? ( with CPU decoding and software based chroma subsampling you can get better image quality than with GPU accelerated decoding )
    if it's possible for me a really like the max image quality possible ... if you can recommend me a CPU and a software to do all of it it will be nice

Waiting news from you
    THanks sir

Another point ... on my HTPC with the movie and TV app on WIndows 10 I can play x265 4K movie without any lag or even 100% CPU usage !?!?!? my GPU is around 10 to 30 % and my CPU is around 30 to 60 %

on my Gaming Rig ... i'm not able to play any x265 movie MKV file I got a error message 0xc00d5212 ... any idea ???

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    The Q9400 should handle it fine when you purchase a 4k TV.
    Right now you are pushing it harder because it plays back the 4k file and also downscales it to 1080p.

More detailed reply later on when I get back home from work

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Why it's not my RX460 taking all that stress to downscale and avoid the lag created by the 100% usage of the CPU ... there is a way to push all that stress on my modern video card that I buy just for that

Xtreme Cruncher
    Have you looked into getting a Nvidia Shield TV instead of doing an upgrade? Just a thought.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic41 View Post
    Why it's not my RX460 taking all that stress to downscale and avoid the lag created by the 100% usage of the CPU ... there is a way to push all that stress on my modern video card that I buy just for that
    That can't be done.
    There's no way to have the GPU do the downscaling while the CPU or any other hardware part do the decoding, deblocking, etc.

Sorry for the short comments, my time is very limited here.
    Will try to give you a detailed post and suggestions tomorrow hopefully

That can't be done.
    There's no way to have the GPU do the downscaling while the CPU or any other hardware part do the decoding, deblocking, etc.

Sorry for the short comments, my time is very limited here.
    Will try to give you a detailed post and suggestions tomorrow hopefully
    Ok I'm waiting this detailed post !!! Thanks

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    A relatively quick yet detailed somehow post

What I'd do:

Pick up a Core i5 CPU, any generation, be it a 2500K, a 3570K, 4670K, 6600K, 7600K.
    8GB ( 2*4GB ) of DDR3-1600 or DDR4-2400 RAM depending on the CPU + mobo you purchase
    a nice micro-ATX or ATX motherboard to go with the CPU you pick ( fantastic value choices and great performance/reliability goes to ASRock IMHO )
    a GTX 1060
    a semi-decent SSD ( something like a 850 Pro by Samsung ) for the OS + apps
    your storage solution

playback via MPC-HC

decent configuration guide ( http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...tup-guide.html )

this will allow you to get the most out of your 4k TV.
    4k material will playback smoothly and with nice motion ( MadVR helps with that and so does the GTX 1060 with its "cleaner" refresh rate )
    non-4k material will be upscaled better ( better image quality and smoother motion )

Since you are going for the best image quality, you should also invest in a TV calibration by a professional ( $150-200 per input ).
    Or if you are tech savvy and can figure out things with some practice, you can get a pretty accurate calibration hardware set and do the calibration yourself ( ColorMunki Display colorimeter for the IRE0 to IRE30 measurements and the i1pro for the IRE40-100 and color mesurements ).
    Calibration will give you a much better and true playback ( accurate colors and luminosity like the filmographer wanted and "developed" it ) and on the side, you'll also get lower power consumption on your TV/projector.

I work a lot this morning to configure my PotPlayer + MadVR. I able now to listen my x265 4K video on my HTPC without any lag with the image. My CPU drop to around 40% on use ... but now my RX460 is almost anytime 100% ... but right now ... my audio isn't synchro with the image ... it's like if my audio has a lag

do you have any idea why ... I select my Creative SB X-FI / Virtual Dolby Decoder / 24 bits / 96000hz / High Quality in the audio setting of PotPlayer and in the configuration of integreted audio decoder ... I choose FFmpeg64.dll

@BenchZowner;

So I read a lot again ... and I'm not able right now with MPC-HC 1.7.10 x64 to choose madVR in the output section in MPC-HC. I have madvr **unavailable**

I have MadVR v0.91.5 ...

Thanks for your help

A relatively quick yet detailed somehow post

What I'd do:

Pick up a Core i5 CPU, any generation, be it a 2500K, a 3570K, 4670K, 6600K, 7600K.
    8GB ( 2*4GB ) of DDR3-1600 or DDR4-2400 RAM depending on the CPU + mobo you purchase
    a nice micro-ATX or ATX motherboard to go with the CPU you pick ( fantastic value choices and great performance/reliability goes to ASRock IMHO )
    a GTX 1060
    a semi-decent SSD ( something like a 850 Pro by Samsung ) for the OS + apps
    your storage solution

playback via MPC-HC

decent configuration guide ( http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...tup-guide.html )

this will allow you to get the most out of your 4k TV.
    4k material will playback smoothly and with nice motion ( MadVR helps with that and so does the GTX 1060 with its "cleaner" refresh rate )
    non-4k material will be upscaled better ( better image quality and smoother motion )

Since you are going for the best image quality, you should also invest in a TV calibration by a professional ( $150-200 per input ).
    Or if you are tech savvy and can figure out things with some practice, you can get a pretty accurate calibration hardware set and do the calibration yourself ( ColorMunki Display colorimeter for the IRE0 to IRE30 measurements and the i1pro for the IRE40-100 and color mesurements ).
    Calibration will give you a much better and true playback ( accurate colors and luminosity like the filmographer wanted and "developed" it ) and on the side, you'll also get lower power consumption on your TV/projector.
    your inbox is FULL

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    You need to install MadVR.
    I assume that you've downloaded the latest version and extracted it somewhere ( in Program Files or Program Files (x86) ideally ), but you haven't run the install.bat ( batch file ) that is in that directory along with the rest of the MadVR files.

Run the batch file and in the next launch of MPC-HC it will show up

You need to install MadVR.
    I assume that you've downloaded the latest version and extracted it somewhere ( in Program Files or Program Files (x86) ideally ), but you haven't run the install.bat ( batch file ) that is in that directory along with the rest of the MadVR files.

Run the batch file and in the next launch of MPC-HC it will show up
    Yes sir I got it ... but on my HTPC with my RX460 when I run my x265 4K mkv movie files ... now my GPU top at 100% ... so I have lag in the video and the sound and picture aren't synchro ... do you have any idea why ???

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Depends on the settings you are using.
    The higher the settings ( you can't tell by order, you need to know which ones are the most demanding ) the more demanding it gets on your hardware.

Post your MadVR settings screenshots and I'll have a look

The higher the settings ( you can't tell by order, you need to know which ones are the most demanding ) the more demanding it gets on your hardware.

Is it normal I don't have this section in my MadVR config => Image Doubling

chroma upscaling NNEDI3 128 Neurons
    Image Doubling Always use NNEDI3 to Double Luma and Chroma Resolution using 128 neurons
    Image Upscaling DXVA2
    Image Downscaling DXVA2
    smooth motion Enable Smooth Motion only if judder without
    dithering Error Diffusion Option 1
    Video Codec DXVA2 with hardware deinterlacing

Hi !

No news from you after my answer ...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic41 View Post
    Hi !

No news from you after my answer ...
    Go 64 neurons on both settings